Patient Comments: Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Diagnosis

What was the stage of your melanoma when it was diagnosed?

Comment from: Susan D., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

Suffering from bowel disease, I have had a camera from both directions. When the camera went down, they asked if I was aware I had a hiatal hernia. I said that I wasn't, but as that wasn't what they were looking for, and nothing was mentioned again. I didn't know what the symptoms were! I feel like I have swallowed a Gobstopper, I feel like it's stuck and this then sends pain into my throat, shoulders, chest. I have on occasions took myself off to hospital, thinking I was having a heart attack. I do take lansoprazole 30 mg, this was for acid and feeling sick. I wonder the pain I'm having is from the hernia. I really don't want to start again with hospitals and doctors but it is getting worse! This morning I was trying to be healthy and had some raspberries with muesli. My lips have swollen and I am now walking about with excruciating pain. I know it will pass hopefully soon. I've taken an antihistamine and 2 lansoprazole, 2 Co-codamol and I'm just waiting for the pain to pass!

Comment from: Annabell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have stabbing pains in the eye during the day. It feels like a small grain of something and it is usually in the upper part of my eyeball.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

My results after having a wide excision of malignant melanoma were, T01000 and M87200.

Published: July 08

In six weeks, I noticed a mole below my left rib cage increase in size, then grow outward, and eventually bleed. By the time I got a referral to a dermatologist to remove it, it was third-stage melanoma. After surgery (6 inch incision) of the mole area and two lymph node removals, I may have a 50% chance to survive five more years. Never take a chance, get checked out!

Comment from: Isabella57, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I am obsessive and compulsive about skin tags and age spots. I have annual skins checks and requested what I thought was an age spot be removed last year. Doctor didn't seem very concerned at all but did have it removed. It turned out it was stage 4 melanoma. Now I feel like I'm in a death trap. How do you live your life and stay covered! Very sad.

Comment from: kj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I had a mole that came up in 2002 on my right thigh. Went to dermatologist and he said it was fine. In 2010 it started changing shape and color, and eventually bled. I was diagnosed on 1-11-11 with stage2T2B tumor, It was removed 1-19-2011, with 1 lymph node, which was negative. I have a good chance of recurrence and am getting regular checkups and petscan in August. Recently found a new bump under my skin in my abdomen, I'll be watching that for growth. It is so important not to wait. I was caretaking my mom who had ovarian cancer, after my sister was killed skydiving, I honestly thought that mole couldn't be cancer after all I'd been thru-guess what, I was so wrong, please don't do what I did and think it won't happen to you.

Comment from: Kitty B, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I noticed a small black dot on the back of my thigh. My dermatologist told me she was 99% sure it was nothing as it was tiny, but very dark and brand new. I was so unsettled that it was biopsied and I got a call a few weeks later confirming my suspicions that it was melanoma. Thank fully it was caught early (in situ). Lesson: Be your own health advocate. Anything new--have a biopsy. Err on the side of caution.

Comment from: carchick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I was just diagnosed with malignant melanoma 2 weeks ago. I had a mole no more than 5mm in diameter that began bleeding on my right upper arm. My primary care doctor assured me that the biopsy would reveal nothing serious, but she was wrong. They also didn't remove all the cancer with the original biopsy. The surgical oncologist will be removing a 2cm diameter by 2cm deep section from my arm which hopefully comes back with clean margins. I was shocked, I am only 26 years old with no family history and no history of severe sunburns, nor was I a sun worshipper like many of my friends.

Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Symptoms Question: What did your melanoma look like when you first noticed it? What was the size of the growth?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Risk Factors and Causes Question: What risk factors do you have for melanoma? What are your concerns?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for melanoma?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Prevention Question: What steps do you take to prevent melanoma or other skin cancers?