Patient Comments: Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Diagnosis

What was the stage of your melanoma when it was diagnosed?

Comment from: Susan D., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

Suffering from bowel disease, I have had a camera from both directions. When the camera went down, they asked if I was aware I had a hiatal hernia. I said that I wasn't, but as that wasn't what they were looking for, and nothing was mentioned again. I didn't know what the symptoms were! I feel like I have swallowed a Gobstopper, I feel like it's stuck and this then sends pain into my throat, shoulders, chest. I have on occasions took myself off to hospital, thinking I was having a heart attack. I do take lansoprazole 30 mg, this was for acid and feeling sick. I wonder the pain I'm having is from the hernia. I really don't want to start again with hospitals and doctors but it is getting worse! This morning I was trying to be healthy and had some raspberries with muesli. My lips have swollen and I am now walking about with excruciating pain. I know it will pass hopefully soon. I've taken an antihistamine and 2 lansoprazole, 2 Co-codamol and I'm just waiting for the pain to pass!

Comment from: Annabell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have stabbing pains in the eye during the day. It feels like a small grain of something and it is usually in the upper part of my eyeball.

Comment from: melissa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I noticed a black head like spot on my nose. I popped it (as you would) and it bled. Then days after it got bigger and started to bleed occasionally, I bathed it with certain ointments and crèmes thinking this would help my blackhead go away. It gradually ulcerated and became increasingly larger, with a scab forming that would drop off, and then return. Days and months passed, and it was still there. I decided to go to my general physician (GP), who referred me to a skin specialist. My specialist diagnosed me with skin melanoma. Having surgery to remove it for me was quite painful and scary emotionally, and I ended up with stitches that then became infected. More surgery is required as cancer is still in the margins after being tested, so back to surgery I go on the 23rd of this month, fingers crossed this time they get it all. So for me this has been an eye opener, I'm 42 with 3 children, many years of sun exposure has done this to me. Please be aware of the danger of the sun is all I can say, and if you have any abnormal spots get them checked quickly.

Published: July 08

In six weeks, I noticed a mole below my left rib cage increase in size, then grow outward, and eventually bleed. By the time I got a referral to a dermatologist to remove it, it was third-stage melanoma. After surgery (6 inch incision) of the mole area and two lymph node removals, I may have a 50% chance to survive five more years. Never take a chance, get checked out!

Comment from: Isabella57, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I am obsessive and compulsive about skin tags and age spots. I have annual skins checks and requested what I thought was an age spot be removed last year. Doctor didn't seem very concerned at all but did have it removed. It turned out it was stage 4 melanoma. Now I feel like I'm in a death trap. How do you live your life and stay covered! Very sad.

Comment from: kj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I had a mole that came up in 2002 on my right thigh. Went to dermatologist and he said it was fine. In 2010 it started changing shape and color, and eventually bled. I was diagnosed on 1-11-11 with stage2T2B tumor, It was removed 1-19-2011, with 1 lymph node, which was negative. I have a good chance of recurrence and am getting regular checkups and petscan in August. Recently found a new bump under my skin in my abdomen, I'll be watching that for growth. It is so important not to wait. I was caretaking my mom who had ovarian cancer, after my sister was killed skydiving, I honestly thought that mole couldn't be cancer after all I'd been thru-guess what, I was so wrong, please don't do what I did and think it won't happen to you.

Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Symptoms Question: What did your melanoma look like when you first noticed it? What was the size of the growth?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Risk Factors and Causes Question: What risk factors do you have for melanoma? What are your concerns?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for melanoma?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Prevention Question: What steps do you take to prevent melanoma or other skin cancers?
Melanoma - Experience With Metastatic Melanoma Question: Please share your experience with metastatic melanoma.