Patient Comments: Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Diagnosis

What was the stage of your melanoma when it was diagnosed?

Comment from: dee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

On May 12 gynecologist found a black mole on inner thigh and told me to get to dermatologist quick. I couldn't get in for 9 days but finally went and he said it was nothing but would take a slice and send it off to be sure. Two weeks after the original doctor found the mole I was given the horrible news that it was a melanoma in situ. Five days later I was in surgery. They did not do Mohs which I thought they would, but instead took enough to make a clear margin. Again a wait of 2 days but they say it is clear and no cancer found now.

Comment from: Isabella57, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I am obsessive and compulsive about skin tags and age spots. I have annual skins checks and requested what I thought was an age spot be removed last year. Doctor didn't seem very concerned at all but did have it removed. It turned out it was stage 4 melanoma. Now I feel like I'm in a death trap. How do you live your life and stay covered! Very sad.

Comment from: kj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I had a mole that came up in 2002 on my right thigh. Went to dermatologist and he said it was fine. In 2010 it started changing shape and color, and eventually bled. I was diagnosed on 1-11-11 with stage2T2B tumor, It was removed 1-19-2011, with 1 lymph node, which was negative. I have a good chance of recurrence and am getting regular checkups and petscan in August. Recently found a new bump under my skin in my abdomen, I'll be watching that for growth. It is so important not to wait. I was caretaking my mom who had ovarian cancer, after my sister was killed skydiving, I honestly thought that mole couldn't be cancer after all I'd been thru-guess what, I was so wrong, please don't do what I did and think it won't happen to you.

Comment from: Kitty B, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I noticed a small black dot on the back of my thigh. My dermatologist told me she was 99% sure it was nothing as it was tiny, but very dark and brand new. I was so unsettled that it was biopsied and I got a call a few weeks later confirming my suspicions that it was melanoma. Thank fully it was caught early (in situ). Lesson: Be your own health advocate. Anything new--have a biopsy. Err on the side of caution.

Comment from: jessica2011, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

My daughter was just diagnosed with melanoma stage A1, and she is scared. She is only 25 and has been reading the pamphlets the doctor gave her, but they are only scaring her more.

Comment from: carchick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I was just diagnosed with malignant melanoma 2 weeks ago. I had a mole no more than 5mm in diameter that began bleeding on my right upper arm. My primary care doctor assured me that the biopsy would reveal nothing serious, but she was wrong. They also didn't remove all the cancer with the original biopsy. The surgical oncologist will be removing a 2cm diameter by 2cm deep section from my arm which hopefully comes back with clean margins. I was shocked, I am only 26 years old with no family history and no history of severe sunburns, nor was I a sun worshipper like many of my friends.

Comment from: Clare, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

A month ago I went to my GP asking for a mole which I have had from birth to be removed as it was slightly darker than it had been and I was covering it with make up to disguise it. Not for one moment did I think it was sinister, but my GP referred me for a second opinion and I was seen by a dermatologist within 10 days, was immediately scanned and the mole was removed there and then. Unfortunately a week later he confirmed that it was a first stage melanoma of 0.8mm and I would need further surgery to remove more skin around the excision sight to ensure there were no further cells. I have seen a plastic surgeon who is to do this procedure next week. I would urge anyone who notices any changes whatsoever to seek advice immediately. I have been very lucky so far and hope that my luck continues through the next stages of my treatment.

Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Symptoms Question: What did your melanoma look like when you first noticed it? What was the size of the growth?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Risk Factors and Causes Question: What risk factors do you have for melanoma? What are your concerns?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for melanoma?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Prevention Question: What steps do you take to prevent melanoma or other skin cancers?