Patient Comments: Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Symptoms

What did your melanoma look like when you first noticed it? What was the size of the growth?

Comment from: forcefive, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I woke up one morning, and the bridge of my nose was very sore. The next day, my nose hurt even worse. I saw a patch of bright, red skin across my nose that was sore, hot to touch and swollen. My nasal passages were constricted. I went to the doctor two days after my first symptoms appeared and was diagnosed with a staph bacterial skin infection/nasal cellulitis. The doctor put me on seven days of 100 mg doxycycline hyclate twice daily. The next day, I felt worse with a fever, chills and generally feeling sick. I used ice packs and anti-inflammatories to help with the swelling. My nose also itched. Four days after I went to see the doctor, my condition was not improving and I went to the emergency room (ER). The ER doctor gave me 800 mg of prescription ibuprofen to take every eight hours. I was in so much pain, my nose felt broken. The doctor also wrote for five days of 100 mg doxycycline monohydrate twice daily, a stronger antibiotic than doxycycline hyclate. I was also told that I had an abscess inside my nose from the bacteria. The stronger antibiotic took care of the infection, and Ibuprofen really helped with the pain. In the end, it took two weeks for my nasal cellulitis to go away.

Comment from: RW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

The melanoma was 1 mm in diameter, and perhaps a little darker than most of my few moles.

Comment from: wivie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

In 2012 I had a mole removed from my lower back that had been there my whole life. It had changed in size, texture and color. Two weeks later I found out it was malignant melanoma and went in for surgery. They removed the area around the mole which left a 6 in. scar, one lymph node from under my left arm, and four from my groin area. Six months later my scans were fine, but the next one wasn't as good. I went in and had the remaining 9 nodes removed from my groin which left an ugly scar. I had 28 days of radiation and 20 days of chemotherapy injections. I am starting 11 months at home this week. Melanoma is terrible but I'm going to fight it!

Comment from: 4fish, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I noticed a dark mole smaller than pencil eraser on inside of my upper thigh. Nothing special about it other than that the location seemed strange and it was darker than most of my moles. My dermatologist was not very impressed with it but her conservative nature said to do a biopsy. It came back as melanoma level "0". Very fortunate to catch it early.

Comment from: bikerbaker, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

In 1991, my teen daughter happened to notice a small, dark spot on my back. It was smaller than a pencil eraser and was not raised; just looked like a black mole. I didn't think much of it. Shortly after this, I scratched a mole on my upper arm and it became irritated. I then went to my dermatologist to have him remove it. While there, I asked him to take a look at my back. I could see his concern after examining the mole. He told me that my appointment for the mole on my arm had saved my life! The small mole on my back turned out to be a level 2. A large section was removed from my back in the doctor's surgical suite a couple weeks after the discovery. He felt confident that all margins were clear. It was a huge wake-up call for me with regard to sunbathing. A tan isn't nearly as attractive as life!

Comment from: nessa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I've got this mole on my neck and it has had a lump for a couple weeks underneath it now. I wasn't too bothered to start with as I thought it probably was just a pimple under my mole or something. No head ever appeared however and my mole got quite hard and risen. However I got sick thinking it must be a pimple the other night and squeezed it. Well, blood burst from it, no pus, just blood. I realized straight after of course, I should have left it alone. The lump is still there and I notice the lump seems to be spreading under the skin to my jaw. Probably got myself a wee infection or something now, but starting to get a bit worried about it being melanoma.

Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Diagnosis Question: What was the stage of your melanoma when it was diagnosed?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Risk Factors and Causes Question: What risk factors do you have for melanoma? What are your concerns?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for melanoma?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Prevention Question: What steps do you take to prevent melanoma or other skin cancers?