Patient Comments: Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Symptoms

What did your melanoma look like when you first noticed it? What was the size of the growth?

Comment from: 4fish, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I noticed a dark mole smaller than pencil eraser on inside of my upper thigh. Nothing special about it other than that the location seemed strange and it was darker than most of my moles. My dermatologist was not very impressed with it but her conservative nature said to do a biopsy. It came back as melanoma level "0". Very fortunate to catch it early.

Comment from: bikerbaker, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

In 1991, my teen daughter happened to notice a small, dark spot on my back. It was smaller than a pencil eraser and was not raised; just looked like a black mole. I didn't think much of it. Shortly after this, I scratched a mole on my upper arm and it became irritated. I then went to my dermatologist to have him remove it. While there, I asked him to take a look at my back. I could see his concern after examining the mole. He told me that my appointment for the mole on my arm had saved my life! The small mole on my back turned out to be a level 2. A large section was removed from my back in the doctor's surgical suite a couple weeks after the discovery. He felt confident that all margins were clear. It was a huge wake-up call for me with regard to sunbathing. A tan isn't nearly as attractive as life!

Comment from: lreese, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

My first sign was a feeling of being poked in the back with a stick. I turned around and there was nothing there that could have poked me. A week later a large growth came up on my back shoulder. I have no insurance so I waited to get settled in a new city to have it looked at. Malignant Melanoma. I have had two surgeries now, a large tumor removed from my back, and sentinal lymph nodes and secondary lymph nodes. The others they took were cancer free.

Comment from: Nat3333, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 30

My boyfriend had a mole checked out 3 years ago and it turned out to be melanoma. He had surgery on 6 lymph nodes and they all came out clear. About a month ago my boyfriend fell ill out of nowhere, and had a chronic migraine that hurt so badly that he vomited, couldn't eat nor drink anything, and was bedridden for a week. After his general practitioner told him it was tension headache he was prescribed 4 diff meds, none of which worked. I told him we should go to the ER since he didn't feel any better after a week. We ended getting admitted that night and stayed for 4 days running tests. His cancer came back very aggressively with 9 brain tumors, lung cancer, and cancer in his lymph nodes. It is stage 4. We are 3 weeks into radiation and start chemo shortly after. And to think we went to the hospital for a headache, and came home with the worst prognosis. Good luck to everyone going through this awful disease. It is not easy.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

A large, symmetrical brown mole appeared on my leg overnight. I waited months to get it looked at because it looked like other large moles I had had removed in the past, which were all normal. The mole bled and developed black spots, at which time I went to my family physician, who referred me to a dermatologist. It turned out to be nodular melanoma, stage 2b, no metastasis.

Comment from: FEDUP, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have Clark's Stage IV. I regret the day I allowed a dermatologist to biopsy the tumor. If I had left it alone, and had applied oil of oregano, the tumor would have dried up, the skin would have healed and returned to normal. No metastatis would have occurred. Medical science does not warn people about the metastatis. It only wants to charge for removing a tumor that should be left alone and treated with natural substances. Instead of enjoying life, I am fighting to survive metastasis. What they don't bother to tell you can destroy your life. They lie and then act innocent. They don't know everything there is to know about healing the body. It's all about drugs, chemo, surgery and more surgeries until the human body dies. The medical profession, big pharm, and associated professions get paid whether you live or die. They have no incentive to find natural ways to cure the human body. The body must have what it is made out of (nutrients) to heal. Instead we are fed drugs and more drugs. It's time for a revolution on how disease is treated.

Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Diagnosis Question: What was the stage of your melanoma when it was diagnosed?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Risk Factors and Causes Question: What risk factors do you have for melanoma? What are your concerns?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for melanoma?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Prevention Question: What steps do you take to prevent melanoma or other skin cancers?