Patient Comments: Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Symptoms

What did your melanoma look like when you first noticed it? What was the size of the growth?

Comment from: Maria, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

This happened many years ago. I had an itchy wart on my head, in my hair. When I went to the doctor for my acne, he asked me if I had any other open wounds or sores on my body. I told him about the wart. He took a piece of it, had it examined, and when I returned to him in a month, he burned it off right in his office. It was cancerous, and the procedure didn't hurt at all! Be wary of any "sores" that do not heal.

Comment from: rebeccastella6, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I have had a small lesion on my lower leg for about 3 years. I noticed the color changing and went to my doctor and asked for a biopsy. The results revealed malignant melanoma. It looked like an age spot that kept getting darker and darker, but never looked like cancer.

Comment from: J.R., 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I am 23 year-old white male and had a vertical brownish stripe on my big toe. I didn't think much of it until I saw a medical program on TV that said it might be melanoma. My dermatologist just said to monitor it, but I ended up going to a podiatrist who took a biopsy and it ended up indeed being melanoma.

Comment from: mark, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

A small brown mole appeared on the inside of my right forearm. Flat, one color, unremarkable. It puffed up for a day or two and I became suspicious of it. I had it looked at by a dermatologist and he said it was harmless. Months later it puffed up again and I had another dermatologist give me the same diagnosis. I told him I wanted it off because I had bad feelings about it. He took it off and two days later told me that it was Melanoma. It was .9mm deep and MD Anderson hospital excised a 3" patch of flesh and took out the sentinel lymph node. Both were negative. That was 13 years ago. Check yourself, trust your feelings.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

A dark mole that grew over time (flat though) and then became itchy and bled - at which point I went to my doctor who diagnosed it as melanoma.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I had a mole removed over 15 years before a nodular melanoma developed on the same site. A scar had developed from the original removal and the nodular melanoma developed on top of the scar. The melanoma developed within 6 weeks and ended up with a Breslow of 6m and stage IIb.

Comment from: bea, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 02

Constant itching over a period of some duration. Others noted a black, ugly mole and warned me to have it examined. Original biopsy indicated melanoma. I am a Caucasian woman, 79 years old, with diabetes, living in southern CA. Sun exposure has been limited. Dye test indicated sentinel lymph node cancerous - with biopsy imminent.

Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Diagnosis Question: What was the stage of your melanoma when it was diagnosed?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Risk Factors and Causes Question: What risk factors do you have for melanoma? What are your concerns?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for melanoma?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Prevention Question: What steps do you take to prevent melanoma or other skin cancers?