Patient Comments: Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Risk Factors and Causes

What risk factors do you have for melanoma? What are your concerns?

Comment from: KelsEllie, Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I'm a 26 year old female that has lived on the coast most of my life. I was an ocean lifeguard for the last three summers and now live in the cloudless, blue skies of Colorado. I have red hair, very pale skin and freckles and got at least 5 severe sunburns growing up, before I realized how important taking care of your skin was. Two of those sunburns had me in the emergency room for steroids. I just had a hysterectomy in April. I have a history of endometriosis and HPV (human papilloma virus) as well as cervical cancer. All 3 of these things have been linked to higher risks of developing melanoma, and this is in addition to my risk factors of hair and skin color. I'm having a very scary mole removed this Wednesday. The mole is on my stomach, right in the middle, about 3 inches above my navel. It used to be small and red, but in the last 2 months it has changed back and forth between light red, bright red and black. That cycle continues. It is asymmetrical, has uneven borders, is raised and discolored. I'm so freaking scared.

Comment from: Mamat78, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

My sister passed away at the very young age of 31 as a result of melanoma. I was diagnosed with stage 1B melanoma four years ago. It was removed surgically; I went in every six months for a check. I have been cancer free, but the fear is so great. I have been told a lot of the time it will return; sometimes it actually will be in the same area that it was removed.

Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Symptoms Question: What did your melanoma look like when you first noticed it? What was the size of the growth?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Diagnosis Question: What was the stage of your melanoma when it was diagnosed?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for melanoma?
Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Prevention Question: What steps do you take to prevent melanoma or other skin cancers?