Melanoma is a type of skin cancer which begins in skin cells called melanocytes and affects more than 53,600 people in the United States each year. These melanocytes can grow together to form benign moles which, after a change in size, shape, or color can be a sign of melanoma. Caused by sun exposure, early detection becomes extremely important to avoid a spread to other areas of the body. Diagnosis is confirmed through a biopsy of the abnormal skin and treatment depends on the extent and characteristics of the patient.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
A skin tag is a small benign growth of skin that projects from the surrounding skin. Skin tags can vary in appearance (smooth,...learn more »
Psoriasis is a long-term skin condition that may cause large plaques of red, raised skin, flakes of dry skin, and skin scales....learn more »
Hodgkin's disease is a cancer of the lymphatic system with symptoms that include unexplained, recurring fevers, unexplained...learn more »
In This Article
Hodgkin's Disease Article
- Hodgkin's lymphoma facts*
- What is the lymph system?
- What is Hodgkin's lymphoma?
- What are the types of Hodgkin's lymphoma?
- How is the staging determined for Hodgkin's lymphoma?
- What are the stages of Hodgkin's lymphoma?
- What is the treatment for Hodgkin's lymphoma?
- Who are the doctor's who treat Hodgkin's lymphoma?
- How do people get a second opinion for Hodgkin's lymphoma?
- Clinical trials for treatment of Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Chemotherapy for Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Targeted therapy for Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Radiation therapy for Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Stem cell transplantation for Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Nutrition during cancer treatment
- What is the follow-up care after treatment for Hodgkin's lymphoma?
- What other support is available for cancer patients?
In This Article
Sunburn (Sun Poisoning) Article
- Sunburn facts
- What is sunburn?
- Can sunburn cause permanent damage?
- What is UV light and where are UV rays most intense?
- Why does the skin tan after exposure to UV rays?
- What are the symptoms of sunburn?
- What are the
symptoms of severe sunburn (sun poisoning)?
- Sunburn pictures
- What first-aid measures should be taken with sunburn?
- What is the treatment for sunburn?
- Are there any home remedies to treat sunburn?
- Is a follow-up visit with a physician necessary?
- Who is most susceptible to sunburn?
- Can diseases cause a heightened sensitivity to UV rays?
- Can medications increase sensitivity to sunburn?
- What kinds of skin cancer can UV rays cause?
- How can sunburn and skin cancer be
- How do sunscreens work?
- What is SPF?
- What is the best way to apply sunscreen?
- Do sunscreens expire?
- Can antioxidants protect against sunburn?