Megestrol (Megace, Megace ES) is a drug prescribed for stimulating the appetite in patients with AIDS who have poor appetite or an unexplained significant weight loss. This medication is also used for treating breast cancer and weight loss associated with cancer. Side effects, drug interactions, and pregnancy safety should be reviewed prior to taking this medication.
Though uterine cancer's cause is unknown, there are many factors that will put a woman at risk, including being over age 50,...learn more »
In This Article
Uterine Cancer Article
- Uterine cancer facts*
- What is the uterus?
- What is uterine cancer (endometrial cancer)?
- What causes uterine cancer? Who is at risk for uterine cancer?
- What are uterine cancer symptoms and signs?
- How is a diagnosis of uterine cancer determined?
- How is the stage determined for uterine cancer?
- What are treatment options for uterine cancer?
- What about surgery for the treatment of endometrial cancer?
- What about radiation therapy for the treatment of uterine cancer?
- What about chemotherapy for the treatment of endometrial cancer?
- What about hormone therapy for the treatment of uterine cancer?
- How does a person go about getting a second opinion after a uterine cancer diagnosis?
- What sort of follow-up treatment is needed during and after uterine cancer treatment?
- What support is available for patients with uterine cancer?
- What research is being done on uterine cancer?
In This Article
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Article
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) facts
- What is the history of HIV, and when was HIV discovered?
- What tests are used in the diagnosis of HIV?
- How is HIV spread (transmitted)?
- What are symptoms and signs of HIV infection and AIDS in men, women, and children?
- What happens after an exposure to the blood or genital secretions of an HIV-infected person?
- What laboratory tests are used to monitor HIV-infected people?
- What are HIV treatments and medications? What are the key principles in managing HIV infection?
- When should antiviral therapy be started?
- What is the initial therapy for HIV?
- What are nucleoside and nucleotide analogue reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs)?
- What are nonnucleoside analogue reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTIs)?
- What are protease inhibitors?
- What are fusion inhibitors?
- What is a CCR5 antagonist?
- What is an integrase strand transfer inhibitor?
HIV drugs are in development?
- What are side effects of HIV therapy?
- What happens if the patient's viral load increases while on HIV therapy?
- What are the risks of missing doses or stopping antiviral therapy?
- Should patients with the flu- or mono-like illness of primary HIV infection be treated?
- What about treatment for HIV during pregnancy?
- What can be done for people who have severe immunosuppression?
- What is the future for HIV-infected individuals with regards to treatment simplification and cure research?
- What is in the future for preventing HIV transmission?
Breast cancer is an invasive tumor that develops in the mammary gland. Breast cancer is detected via mammograms, breast...learn more »
In This Article
Breast Cancer Article
- Breast cancer facts
- What is breast cancer?
- What are the different types of breast cancer? Where does breast cancer come from?
- What are the statistics on male breast cancer?
- What causes breast cancer?
- What are breast cancer risk factors? How do you get breast cancer?
- What are breast cancer symptoms and signs?
- What tests do physicians use to diagnose breast cancer?
- How are breast cancer stages determined?
- What are breast cancer survival rates by stage? What is the prognosis of breast cancer?
- What are breast cancer treatments?
- Is it possible to prevent breast cancer?
- What research is being done on breast
cancer? Is it worthwhile to participate in a breast cancer clinical trial?
- I may have
breast cancer. What questions should I ask my doctor?
- Is the doctor sure I have breast cancer?
- What type of breast cancer do I have?
- What difference does a precise
breast cancer diagnosis
- What has been done to exclude cancer in other areas of
the same breast or in my other breast?
- What type of medical team do I need for the most accurate
breast cancer diagnosis?
- Is my family history relevant to my breast cancer diagnosis?
- What other studies should be done on my breast tissue biopsy?
- How urgent is it that I make
decisions and begin breast cancer treatment?
- Should I stop taking hormone
replacement therapy (HRT) after a breast cancer diagnosis?
- Even though my breast tumor does not have hormone receptors,
should I take tamoxifen to reduce the risk of a new tumor?
- I have a ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), a type of
localized cancer. Why have I been advised to have a mastectomy when other women
with invasive breast cancer have lumpectomies?
- Should I start
chemotherapy before surgery for breast cancer?
- If I am advised to have a mastectomy,
what are the risks and benefits of immediate breast reconstruction?
- Should breast cancer patients have their lymph nodes removed?
- What is a sentinel lymph node biopsy, and what
are its benefits and risks?
- Are there any other questions I
should ask my doctor about breast cancer?
In This Article
Paget Disease of the Breast Article
- Paget disease of the breast facts*
- Paget disease of the breast key points
- What is Paget disease of the breast?
- Who gets Paget disease of the breast?
- What causes Paget disease of the breast?
- What are the symptoms of Paget disease of the breast?
- How is Paget disease of the breast diagnosed?
- How is Paget disease of the breast treated?
- What is the prognosis for people with Paget disease of the breast?
- What research studies are under way on Paget disease of the breast?
In This Article
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome Article
- Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) facts
- What does AIDS stand for? What causes AIDS?
- What is the history of AIDS?
- What are symptoms and signs of AIDS?
- What are risk factors for developing AIDS?
- How is AIDS diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for HIV/AIDS?
- What is the treatment for HIV during pregnancy?
- What is the treatment for non-HIV-infected people who are exposed to the genital secretions or blood of someone with HIV?
- What are the complications of HIV?
- What is the prognosis for HIV infection?
- Can HIV infection be prevented?
- Is there a vaccine for HIV?
- What research is being done to find a cure for HIV?
- Where can a person find information about clinical trials for HIV and AIDS?