Mediterranean Diet Index
Featured: Mediterranean Diet Main Article
Author: Betty Kovacs, MS, RD
Benefits of the Mediterranean diet include improved brain function and increased life span. The foods in the Mediterranean diet have been purported to protect against inflammation, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, cancer, arthritis, depression, insulin resistance, obesity, and aging. The foods also have antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anticancer properties.
Cholesterol is naturally produced by the body, and is a building block for cell membranes and hormones. Low-density lipoprotein...learn more »
In This Article
- Cholesterol Levels facts
- What is cholesterol?
- What are LDL and HDL cholesterol?
- What determines the level of LDL cholesterol in the blood?
- Does lowering LDL cholesterol prevent heart attacks and strokes?
- How can LDL cholesterol levels be lowered?
- What are the current NCEP cholesterol treatment guidelines?
- Why is HDL the good cholesterol?
- What are triglycerides and VLDL?
- What medications are available to lower cholesterol,
lipids, and triglycerides?
- Is lowering LDL cholesterol enough?