Drugs That May Cause Depression
The following drugs have been reported to cause depression in some patients. Elderly people are particularly at risk.
- Accutane: This drug treats severe acne.
- Antabuse: This medicine is used to treat alcoholism.
- Anticonvulsants: Anticonvulsants are used to control epileptic seizures, examples include Celontin and Zarontin.
- Barbiturates: These are a group of central nervous system depressants that slow down brain function. These medicines have been used to treat anxiety and to prevent epileptic seizures. They are commonly abused; examples are phenobarbital and secobarbital.
- Benzodiazepines: This group of central nervous system depressants is often used to treat anxiety and insomnia and to relax muscles; examples include Ativan, Dalmane, Halcion, Klonopin, Librium, Valium, and Xanax.
- Beta-adrenergic blockers -- Also known as beta-blockers, these medicines are used in the treatment of various heart problems, including high blood pressure, heart failure, chest pain caused by angina, and certain abnormal heart rhythms. They may also be used to treat migraine headaches; examples include Lopressor, Tenormin and Coreg.
- Bromocriptine (Parlodel): This is a medicine used to treat Parkinson's disease.
- Calcium-channel blockers: This group of medicines slows the heart rate and relaxes blood vessels. Calcium channel blockers are used to treat high blood pressure, chest pain, congestive heart failure, and certain abnormal heart rhythms, examples include Calan, Cardizem, Tiazac, and Procardia.
- Estrogens: This class of female hormones is often used in hormone replacement therapy (HRT) to treat menopause symptoms and to prevent or treat osteoporosis; examples include Premarin and Prempro.
- Fluoroquinolone antibiotics: Examples of these drugs include Cipro and Floxin.
- Interferon alfa: This drug is used to treat certain cancers as well as hepatitis B and C.
- Norplant: This is a medicine used for birth control.
- Opioids: This group of narcotics is used to relieve moderate to severe pain. These drugs have a high potential for abuse and addiction; examples include codeine, morphine, Demerol, Percodan, and OxyContin.
- Statins: These medicines are used to lower cholesterol, protect against damage from coronary artery disease, and prevent heart attacks; examples include Mevacor, Zocor, Pravachol, Lescol, and Lipitor.
- Zovirax: Doctors prescribe this drug to treat shingles and herpes.
Quick GuideDrug Abuse Pictures Slideshow: Commonly Abused Prescription and OTC Drugs
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.