GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
PREPARATIONS: Chewable tablets: 100 mg
STORAGE: Mebendazole should be protected from light and stored at room temperature, between 15 C to 30 C (59 F to 86 F).
DOSING: Recommendations are based on the infecting organism being treated.
- Initial dosing for some hookworm, roundworm, tapeworm, and whipworm infections is 100 mg twice daily for 3 days.
- Initial dosing for pinworm infection is 100 mg as a single dose. The dose may be repeated in 2 to 3 weeks if needed.
- Mebendazole should not be used with metronidazole (Flagyl) due to the increased risk of rare but serious life-threatening skin conditions known as Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis.
- Carbamazepine (Tegretol, Tegretol SR, Equetro, Carbatrol), fosphenytoin (Cerebyx), ethotoin (Peganone), and phenytoin (Dilantin, Dilantin-125) may interfere with successful treatment with mebendazole by decreasing its blood levels.
- Cimetidine (Tagamet) may increase mebendazole levels and increase the risk of side effects from mebendazole.
Quick GuideDigestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.