Patient Comments: Measles - Experience

Did you have measles as a child? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Phyllis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had rubeola (measles) and then rubella and then chicken pox one right after the other when I was 6 years old in first grade. Nothing here was upsetting or dangerous. I remember having a fun time at home coloring and watching TV and be catered to by my mother who would play cards and board games with me. I was the oldest child. I had a baby sister who was 6 months old. My mother did not breast feed her and so she got the same measles and chicken pox right after I did. She was cranky and had a running nose. My mother was a proponent of baby aspirin for every sneeze and runny nose so we got loads of St. Joseph's aspirin for children. I have a lifelong immunity and that was that.

Comment from: Linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I was born in 1945 and contracted measles in the 1950s. As a result of the extraordinarily high temperatures of the disease that I had, I ended up being diagnosed with epilepsy and the only connection that they could make was back to the measles. The diagnosis of epilepsy was made in the 1960s when I had two grand mal seizures (prior to that I had the petit mal seizures but they did not interfere in anything I was doing, so they went unnoticed by those around me). I am now 69 and have lived with that diagnosis since I was 18. If a vaccine had existed I am certain my family would have been certain that I received it because I received the polio vaccine. Any parent who does not take advantage of this vaccine as far as I am concerned is guilty of gross abuse to the child. My mother always was ashamed of the fact that I had epilepsy.

Comment from: Marianne, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have all the symptoms, and yesterday I was told by my doctor that I have measles. When I woke up this morning, my knees and fingers were terribly swollen! I think I should go back to the doctor.

Measles - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with your measles? Did the rash appear right away?
Measles - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment, including medication or home remedies, did you receive when you had measles?
Measles - Vaccine Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the measles vaccine.