Patient Comments: Marijuana Abuse - Personal History and Experience

What is your history with pot? Please share your experience with marijuana use, abuse, and addiction.

Comment from: Paul, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I have used marijuana intermittently for 24 years. Perhaps once a week on average. Large daily doses will reduce energy levels. Small doses may induce sleep easier, it seems a strong relative sedative. It seems to still be a drug of choice for many friends, however the use has declined from high school years when most seemed to smoke it. Certainly some individuals prefer and use it way more than others. It will cause negative reactions of paranoid episodes in some. The worst case is of a regular heavy-using school friend and his wife who have had an autistic son that they find trouble coping with. Hence they have stopped its use. Their heavy use prior for 15 years may have caused this personality defect. You never know but if studies were published it could be the case! The doctor has repeatedly told me it will depress the general health system the next day, which I agree with. Having battled weight problems my whole life, it has helped control appetite. It also has given friendship, increased social activity (a positive for an un-partnered loner in me) and was a huge firm favorite after the 50th birthday party at the pub last Saturday night. Unfortunately I feel it may have contributed to me being a workaholic and a single person, which I am trying to rectify. I have used it for periods to eradicate bad memories of relationship/emotional pain. This includes a recent 43 year old alcoholic friend who died from a heart attack secondary to an enlarged heart from perhaps 10 years of reasonable hard spirit alcoholism such as vodka. He took amphetamines too for attention deficit disorder (ADD). The marijuana use has perhaps reduced my pain. Funny enough he hated marijuana, he would be alive probably if he did marijuana as opposed to alcohol. That ends my note, alcohol will more likely kill you before marijuana. In a small dose it can stimulate work tasks. I intend to cease or well reduce its use. I feel it may have made me less socially aware and more retracted (although I have lots of friends). I think it is best limited (if used) to weekends only. Similar to a brother who won"t drink alcohol during the week. You can"t ignore its popularity and how much pleasure it gives to some, especially daily users. They love the drug, hydroponic or natural. Each has their own preference and volume. I think if abused or overused the high is well, well reduced. It must have some benefits mentally. All doses give different results.

Comment from: dynomite, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

My experience is that in order to get physical with pot one must be an extreme smoker and withdrawals are a tar nicotine type, much lighter than tobacco. Think of a razor sharp sword, when you smoke a lot the sword loses the razor edge but still is lethal!

Comment from: Mary, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

That seems false. I've been smoking MJ for more than two years and did not develop any withdrawals. In fact, I can go days or weeks without smoking and feel just fine. If anything, it helps. I am sick of the government and society creating a vendetta against smokers.