- Prescription Drug Abuse Slideshow: Facts and Statistics
- OTC and Prescription Drug Abuse Slideshow Pictures
- Health Risks of Alcohol Abuse Slideshow Pictures
- Patient Comments: Marijuana Abuse - Personal History and Experience
- Marijuana facts
- What is marijuana, and how is it abused?
- What is medical marijuana? How is medical marijuana prescribed?
- What are other names for marijuana?
- What is the history and different types of marijuana?
- Is marijuana addictive?
- What are the psychological and social effects of abusing marijuana?
- What are the physical effects of abusing marijuana?
- What are the treatments for marijuana abuse and addiction?
- Can marijuana abuse and addiction be prevented?
- What is the prognosis of marijuana abuse and addiction?
- Where can people find more information about marijuana abuse and addiction?
Quick GuideMedical Marijuana Pictures Slideshow: Types and Uses For Treatment
Where can people find more information about marijuana abuse and addiction?
- Codependents Anonymous: http://www.coda.org
- Kids Against Drugs: http://www.kidsagainstdrugs.com
- Marijuana Anonymous World Services: 800-766-6779; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Narcotics Anonymous: http://www.na.org
- National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence: 800-NCA-CALL
- National Institute on Drug Abuse: http://www.nida.nih.gov
- National Clearinghouse for Alcoholism and Drug Information: 800-729-6686
- National Resource Center: 866-870-4979
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA): 1-877-SAMHSA-7
Medically reviewed by Marina Katz, MD; American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology
American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition-Treatment Revision 2001.
American Psychiatric Association. Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with substance use disorders, second edition. In, American Psychiatric Association Practice Guidelines: Treatment of Patients With Substance Use Disorders 2006 May.
Budney AJ, Roffman R, Stephens RS, Walker D. Marijuana dependence and its treatment. Addiction Science in Clinical Practice 2007 December; 4(1): 4-16.
Callaway E. Regular marijuana usage robs men of sexual highs. Journal of Sexual Medicine 2009 August; 16: 2.
Elkashef A, Vocci F, Huestis M, et al. Marijuana neurobiology and treatment. Substance Abuse 2008; 29(3): 17-29.
Looby A, Earleywine M. Negative consequences associated with dependence in daily cannabis users. Substance Abuse Treatment and Prevention Policy 2007; 2: 3.
Merriam Webster's Dictionary 2011. www.merriam-webster.com.
National Institute on Drug Abuse. Gender and ethnic patterns in drug use among high school seniors 2003 August; 18(2).
National Institute on Drug Abuse. Teen marijuana use increases, especially among eighth-graders 2010 December.
New York Times Company. Marijuana and medical marijuana. The New York Times 2011 August 6.
PDR.net. Physicians' Desk Reference. 2011. http://www.pdr.net.
Pierre JM. Psychosis associated with medicinal marijuana: risk vs. benefits of medicinal cannabis use. American Journal of Psychiatry 2010 May; 167: 598-599.
Tarter RE, Vanyukov M, Kirisci L, Reynolds M, Clark DB. Predictors of marijuana use in adolescents before and after licit drug use: examination of the gateway hypothesis. American Journal of Psychiatry 2006 December; 163: 2134-2140.
Williams JS. Cognitive Deficits in marijuana smokers persist after use stops. National Institute on Drug Abuse 2003 December;18(5).
Zhang ZF, Morgenstern H, Spitz MR, et al. Marijuana use and increased risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Cancer Epidemiological Biomarkers Preview 1999 December; 8(12): 1071-1078.
Zickler P. Marijuana-related disorders, but not prevalence of use, rise over past decade. National Institute on Drug Abuse 2005 May; 19(6).
Zickler P. Twin study links marijuana abuse, suicide and depression. National Institute on Drug Abuse 2005 August; 20(2).