Patient Comments: Marfan Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with marfan syndrome.

Comment from: curlybill, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I needed abdominal surgery in 2012, I had it done arthroscopic at which time they inflated my abdominal cavity with air. It seems my connective tissue let the air travel between my fat layer and muscle on my whole torso up to my shoulders and remained inflated for about a week. I somewhat remember (because I was on pain medications) the doctor pressing on the inflated area and it sounded like popcorn popping as the air was migrating through the connective tissue. The doctor indicated this was unusual. That was when I was diagnosed with Marfan syndrome. I turned 60 in the hospital. I am now 63 and have had 2 emergency surgeries in the last 3 months for internal hernia, and small bowel obstruction. Luckily there was not a strangulation of the bowels and I didn't need resection. Life is an adventure.

Comment from: MrOK, (Caregiver) Published: March 25

My son recently passed away due to a heart aneurism; he was to soon be 18. The medical examiner stated he died in seconds, there was no chance. He had detached retina, long fingers, caved in chest and other symptoms that relate to Marfan syndrome. I'm not sure if any proactive measures could have been taken, but for families who see these symptoms, please be as proactive as possible and seek medical attention. If an aorta replacement could have been done to save my son's life, he'd still be with us today. It's a very sad way to lose a young life, one who was extremely smart, bright and truly sincere.

Comment from: MrOK, Male (Caregiver) Published: March 24

Comment from: haughtmichele, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 16

My grand-daughter has Marfan syndrome and it has affected her heart. She has a good size murmur and we were told it is affecting her aorta. She has already had the lenses taken out of her eyes, and we now have to see a doctor for her spine. I am so scared, I hope they caught this in time and wonder why more people know don't about this. I hope this will qualify her for SSI (supplemental security income) because we are very poor.

Comment from: FuzzySlippers, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I was diagnosed with Marfan syndrome at a very young age (6). I required one heart surgery in which they had to put an implant because the left side was working harder than the right side of my heart to be able to keep pumping blood through it properly. It neared killed me. I still remember always being tired and getting my teachers frustrated with me in school because it was hard to pay attention being exhausted all the time, due to one side of my heart working harder than the other. By 5th grade I had grown 8 inches in ten months! I was 5"0", then jumped up to 5"8". We could barely afford clothes for me because of my rapid growth. I finally stopped, for the most part, at the age of 20. I"m 21 now and hope I"ve stopped growing! I"m about 6"2" now. But I"m very lanky... and always have been, practically blind. I"ve worn glasses since I was 8. But that"s been my experience. I stay away from drugs and alcohol for concern of my implant. I had one surgery, I definitely don"t want another one.

Comment from: Katnina, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 04

My 2 1/2 year old grandson has Marfan. I am concerned because he is very delayed in talking. I am not able to locate any information that this is a symptom of Marfan. I wonder if we should be looking for another disorder. He has dislocated lens which the doctor wants to remove, wears braces, cyst on brain, on losartan, he is also tall and thin and totally adorable. He has vision, speech, occupational and physical therapy weekly.

Comment from: tallgirl32, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I was diagnosed with Marfan syndrome at the age of 16, but have had various problems since I was 7 years old. I was tested for everything from cerebral palsy to muscular dystrophy. I kept falling over my own feet. I'm near-sighted, and have had my aorta replaced. I've had my right foot reconstructed, and my knees operated on. I did very well in school, and ran track until 5th grade when my heart problems started. The thing is that, because I have jaw problems and can't enunciate my words properly, people think that I'm not smart. I speak 3 languages, and have an IQ of 130.

Marfan Syndrome - Causes Question: What was the cause of your Marfan syndrome?
Marfan Syndrome - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you or someone you know undergone for Marfan syndrome?
Marfan Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with Marfan syndrome? How do you cope with them?