Patient Comments: Male Breast Cancer - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your breast cancer (in men)?

Comment from: Kua2u, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I have recurrent skin yeast, over and over. I shower once a week, and sink bath between. I dry thoroughly then sit under a fan for an hour to be sure. I cannot swim in summer. I avoid anything that will make me sweat. It is interfering with my life. Creams don't work. So far, six Diflucan work, but it is getting more and more resistant. I have it 12 to 15 times a year. It can start the size of a dime, and in two days it's spread 8 inches in all directions; with medicine. This last time I got cellulitis after having it. I have been tested, over and over, for diabetes; my blood sugar is fine. I do not have HIV or AIDS. But it sure seems like something is going on with my immune system. My primary doctor says, if I have a problem, to call and he'll send out some pills. I don't want pills! I want to find out why this keeps happening and stop it. I am going to an infectious disease doctor and see if he can help. This is no way to live.

Comment from: Hypnophd, 55-64 Published: December 21

I fell on ice five years ago, backwards. Symptoms were diplopia, partial paralysis in optic cranial nerves, back strain, sprain post-concussion syndrome, and increased migraine. I never had chronic back pain prior to injury. I started getting lumbar pain, severe shooting pain. MRI showed slight bulge of disc at L5/S1. Pain usually starts while sitting or lying sown in bed, and only relief is opioids. I was told this is from aging, again asymptomatic prior in accident. Standing is the only position that does not cause pain. I have lower back tenderness always. Pain starts in or around hip area, shoots down the legs, stops about mid-calf, lateral and central, and 4th and 5th toes have some pain on occasion. I had the accident when I was of age 50. I'm thinking it is sciatica.

Comment from: MK, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I discovered a BB sized lump below my armpit, so I went to the doctor who thought it was just a cyst. Five months later it had grown so I saw the doctor again. Biopsy confirmed cancer which had spread to 3 lymph nodes. I had mastectomy, chemotherapy and radiation and have been on Tamoxifen for 4 years; so far I have neuropathy in feet and lymphedema in arm.

Comment from: Mr swan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I'm a 29 year old and have just found a large lump beside my nipple. I'm too scared to go see a doctor as I am scared as to what it could be.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 08

My husband had a small lump located just above the nipple 28 years ago at the age of 29. It was removed and determined to be breast cancer. The nipple and breast tissue along with 17 glands were removed and no cancer was in the glands. No treatment at that time. Ten years later a small nodule was noted on a chest X-ray in the left lung. The upper lobe of the lung was removed and treatment was 10 years on Tamoxifen. About 45 days ago from an annual exam that included a cat scan, two nodules were noted in the same lung at the same location as the previous lung area. These nodules responded positive to the PET scan and are highly suspicious of cancer. The nodules are surrounding the metal clips that were left in the lung to hold it together 18 years ago. We are having a biopsy Monday. So cancer returns, there are no guarantees but a lot has improved in the last 18 years and we are hoping for a miracle.

Male Breast Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your male breast cancer?
Male Breast Cancer - Experience Question: Please share your experience with male breast cancer.
Male Breast Cancer - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of male breast cancer.