Patient Comments: Malaria - Symptoms

What were your malaria symptoms and signs?

Comment from: Malcolm, 55-64 Male Published: March 20

I had malaria in 1980 when I was working in Kenya. I spent six weeks in the hospital and lost a lot of weight, which made me very weak for weeks after. After a few years, I visited Bali. While I was there, I was bitten by a mosquito on the leg and had to have an injection because my leg had swollen up so bad. I had a difficult time walking. I have found over the years that I get a swelling to the area when I get bitten by a mosquito.

Comment from: moggy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I contracted malaria in West Africa very recently. The strange thing is it didn't appear until six weeks after I returned to the U.K. My initial symptoms were fatigue, severe chills followed by sweats, difficulty breathing, and frequent headaches. Thankfully, it wasn't the most severe form of the disease.

Malaria - Causes Question: How did you contract malaria?
Malaria - Prognosis Question: What was your malaria prognosis?