Patient Comments: Macular Degeneration - Signs and Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms associated with macular degeneration in you or a relative?

Comment from: Dj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

We had stopped in a gas station. Stretched with left eye closed and right eye opened. A truck sitting over to the side appeared to have an oval wheel so I checked with the other eye and wheel was round. Next day I went to the eye doctor and that doctor sent me to a retina specialist and that was back in December of 2008. I have wet macular degeneration in both eyes, my right eye we are done treating but still working to keep sight in left eye.

Comment from: magnolia45, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

My symptoms of macular degeneration were wavy words when I would read. I have to place my left hand over my left eye in order to read. The words would still not be clear and black spots would occur. It's just aggravating and there is nothing that can be done.

Comment from: MzMck, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had blurred vision that I attributed to incorrect prescription glasses, but the doctor said my prescription was fine.

Macular Degeneration - Age Question: How old were you when you received a diagnosis of macular degeneration? What has been its progression?
Macular Degeneration - Risk Factors Question: If you or a relative has macular degeneration, what were the risk factors?
Macular Degeneration - Treatment for Wet Macular Degeneration Question: If you've been diagnosed with wet macular degeneration, what types of treatment have you received?