- Eye Diseases and Conditions Slideshow Pictures
- Pink Eye Slideshow Pictures
- Eyes and Eye Conditions Quiz
- Patient Comments: Macular Degeneration - Signs and Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Macular Degeneration - Age
- Patient Comments: Macular Degeneration - Risk Factors
- Patient Comments: Macular Degeneration - Treatment for Wet Macular Degeneration
- Find a local Eye Doctor in your town
- Macular degeneration facts
- What is macular degeneration?
- What is the retina?
- What is the macula?
- What is age-related macular degeneration (AMD)?
- What is wet age-related macular degeneration?
- What are retinal drusen?
- What is dry age-related macular degeneration?
- What causes macular degeneration?
- What are risk factors for macular degeneration?
- What are macular degeneration symptoms?
- What are signs of macular degeneration?
- How is macular degeneration diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for wet macular degeneration?
- What is the treatment for dry macular degeneration?
- What are complications of macular degeneration?
- What is the prognosis for macular degeneration?
- Can macular degeneration be prevented?
- What research is being done on macular degeneration?
Quick GuideEye Problems Pictures Slideshow: Recognize These Common Eye Conditions
What research is being done on macular degeneration?
There is a large amount of research currently being performed to increase our understanding of the basic molecular mechanisms of macular degeneration. These include evaluation of families with a history of AMD to understand genetic and hereditary factors that may cause the disease. There are multiple drugs and devices presently in various phases of clinical trials to both prevent and treat macular degeneration. These include new drugs to prevent new blood vessel formation, certain anti-inflammatory treatments for the wet form of AMD, and drug-delivery systems to reduce the need for frequent injections for the wet form of macular degeneration. The possibility of transplantation of transplanting healthy cells into a diseased retina is also being investigated.
This research should provide better ways to detect, treat, and prevent vision loss in people with AMD.
Medically reviewed by William Baer, MD; Board Certified Ophthalmology
Prevent Blindness America. "Amsler Grid." <http://www.preventblindness.org/eye_tests/mdchart.html>.
United States. National Eye Institute. "Age-Related Eye Disease Study." Dec. 2008. <http://www.nei.nih.gov/amd/summary.asp>.