Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Cause

What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: Madelon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I wonder if anyone else who takes metoprolol (beta blocker against high blood pressure) and is since diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis. I take this medicine since last December, in January diarrhea started and has severely increased since then. I sincerely believe there is a connection between both, have to convince my doctors yet.

Comment from: Midge, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have had either IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) or IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) since early childhood. As a child I struggled with stomach aches, lots of gas, constipation, bloating, and after several days or weeks of that I finally exploded with diarrhea, which was extremely painful. It was diagnosed at age 19 as IBS, mucous colitis, spastic colon in 1964. I lived with it and had episodes with every event in my life from wedding day, honeymoon, pregnancy, surgeries, camping trips or trips of any kind. It evolved to frequent diarrhea and leaky gut until my gastroenterologist finally diagnosed me with collagenous colitis after doing biopsies. I finally had a name for this enemy but no reason that I should have it or a cure. Today, at 69, I watch my foods, know my triggers, avoid them and live a fairly healthy life. I take IVIG every month for raising my white cells which were very low and now feel much better. I can go from constipation to diarrhea depending on my diet but I"m in charge of that now.

Comment from: beevee boston, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am a 70 year old female. Have had microscopic colitis since July 2013. I adjusted my diet, eliminated dairy for 6 months, and eliminated all artificial sweeteners having found these to be very troubling to this condition. I was treated with prescription NSAIDS for bursitis and the symptoms started within days of taking the prescription. No NSAIDS for me (including Aleve, Advil, and aspirin). I slowly reintroduced dairy and am able to tolerate. Imodium (1 to 4/day) works to calm occasional minor flare ups.

Comment from: Texas CPA, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have had lymphocytic colitis since 2004, with it actually being diagnosed in 2008. I had no relief until last December I found a book on microscopic colitis. It changed my life. I had the testing done and I was fortunate in that the only problem was gluten. I went gluten free and also had to stop fresh fruits and vegetables. I am in remission and have been for three months. I have been able to slowly add back some fruits and vegetables, not all.

Comment from: Maestraz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I'm not sure what brought on my LC, diagnosed .3/11. All I know is, this last year has been hellish for me. Have had to stop all NSAIDS, the SSRI that I took, the Fosamax that I took for bone density. I am on a gluten-free, dairy-free, avoiding soy diet, but still symptomatic. Have had to go to GF/DF vitamins. Do feel better taking Entocort, but if I try to discontinue, symptoms are right back. Have not done well with Colazal. I am exhausted, have a B-12 deficiency, lots of body aches and chills. This is very reminiscent of the Mononucleosis I had in my 20s.

Comment from: crob, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis by colonoscopy after 3 months of diarrhea. I was treated with a steroid regimen and it worked great. The gastroenterologist's physician's assistant I saw told me he was sure that's what I had, but had to have the colonoscopy to confirm it.

Microscopic Colitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?