Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Cause

What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: mittensmom, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I've suffered with microscopic colitis for the greater part of my adult life with it only being diagnosed in 2012. I have flare-ups then remission of months and the flare-ups seem to be brought on by stress. Right now this one started the day my youngest daughter was diagnosed with brain cancer. No medicines seem to help but the FODMAP diet does help. I had not been taking any NASIDs, very careful about what goes in my body because of this, so I am back on the FODMAP diet. No fun but it worked before and hopefully it will again.

Comment from: Miserable, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 08

C. difficile was the first diagnosis of the diarrhea. I immediately was put on antibiotic Flagyl. No success and for the next 6 months I was on more powerful antibiotics. Stool sample finally said C. difficile was gone. Persistent stomach pains and diarrhea led to the diagnostic colonoscopy. Results showed lymphocytic colitis. I think it was the antibiotics that caused the lymphocytic colitis but don't know what else should have been done. I continue to suffer.

Comment from: Teresa in Tennessee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

This is a new one. I noticed when Propel switched to sucralose as their sweetener I couldn't drink it without getting immediate water like bowel movements and cramps. So I stopped drinking it. No problems for years. I did however eat Dannon Light and Fit Greek Vanilla Yogurt every morning for breakfast for years! I heard something about the 'new improved' product but didn't think anything of it. But with the improvement began my problem. They had switched from Equal to sucralose! I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis 2 months later. I wouldn't be so concerned about the sucralose except for the fact that I had some indigestion one day. I took 4 Tums throughout the day. That night I couldn't leave the bathroom. Guess what the sweetener is in the Tums; sucralose. If massive doses can cause leukemia in rats, who knows what smaller doses could be doing to people. I think it's worth checking out. Just saying!

Comment from: LuluJean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with costochondritis about 8 months back and still have been having issues with the pain especially if I do any of my dancing or a lot of house work. I cannot pick up anything over 10 lb. now without pain. I have to be careful on the amount of food I eat also, plus if any of the food gives me gas. The gas can make my ribs hurt from the other side. I cannot sit very long in one place either.

Comment from: Madelon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I wonder if anyone else who takes metoprolol (beta blocker against high blood pressure) and is since diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis. I take this medicine since last December, in January diarrhea started and has severely increased since then. I sincerely believe there is a connection between both, have to convince my doctors yet.

Comment from: TradeMarc, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I suffered from microscopic colitis (MC) for a couple of years. Avoiding trigger foods like chocolate, beans, caffeine, etc., helped a little but my life was miserable. I found out about the Pepto-Bismol treatment so I tried it. Three regular doses 3 times a day for 6 weeks. During this period nothing much changed but when I reached the end the MC went away totally. I can eat anything I want now and don't have to worry about where I go and what I do.

Microscopic Colitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?