Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Cause

What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: Midge, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have had either IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) or IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) since early childhood. As a child I struggled with stomach aches, lots of gas, constipation, bloating, and after several days or weeks of that I finally exploded with diarrhea, which was extremely painful. It was diagnosed at age 19 as IBS, mucous colitis, spastic colon in 1964. I lived with it and had episodes with every event in my life from wedding day, honeymoon, pregnancy, surgeries, camping trips or trips of any kind. It evolved to frequent diarrhea and leaky gut until my gastroenterologist finally diagnosed me with collagenous colitis after doing biopsies. I finally had a name for this enemy but no reason that I should have it or a cure. Today, at 69, I watch my foods, know my triggers, avoid them and live a fairly healthy life. I take IVIG every month for raising my white cells which were very low and now feel much better. I can go from constipation to diarrhea depending on my diet but I"m in charge of that now.

Comment from: beevee boston, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am a 70 year old female. Have had microscopic colitis since July 2013. I adjusted my diet, eliminated dairy for 6 months, and eliminated all artificial sweeteners having found these to be very troubling to this condition. I was treated with prescription NSAIDS for bursitis and the symptoms started within days of taking the prescription. No NSAIDS for me (including Aleve, Advil, and aspirin). I slowly reintroduced dairy and am able to tolerate. Imodium (1 to 4/day) works to calm occasional minor flare ups.

Comment from: Texas CPA, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have had lymphocytic colitis since 2004, with it actually being diagnosed in 2008. I had no relief until last December I found a book on microscopic colitis. It changed my life. I had the testing done and I was fortunate in that the only problem was gluten. I went gluten free and also had to stop fresh fruits and vegetables. I am in remission and have been for three months. I have been able to slowly add back some fruits and vegetables, not all.

Comment from: Maestraz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I'm not sure what brought on my LC, diagnosed .3/11. All I know is, this last year has been hellish for me. Have had to stop all NSAIDS, the SSRI that I took, the Fosamax that I took for bone density. I am on a gluten-free, dairy-free, avoiding soy diet, but still symptomatic. Have had to go to GF/DF vitamins. Do feel better taking Entocort, but if I try to discontinue, symptoms are right back. Have not done well with Colazal. I am exhausted, have a B-12 deficiency, lots of body aches and chills. This is very reminiscent of the Mononucleosis I had in my 20s.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

My symptoms, too, began just after my colonoscopy 11 months ago. After 2 months of symptoms I figured I was lactose intolerant and eliminated dairy products for 1 week---no relief. My thyroid tests showed I was taking slightly too much Synthroid, so for the next 8 weeks I put up with my symptoms while my thyroid medication was adjusted--no improvement. Since I noticed fruits and veggies seemed to be going through me very rapidly, I eliminated them for 3 days---no improvement. I then started Align for 4 weeks---no improvement. Then I spoke with my PCP and he ran blood tests for gluten intolerance, they were negative. I then began VSL#3, and my symptoms slightly improved, but if I miss one dose my symptoms are bad again for several days. After taking VSL#3 for 3 months and not being able to get off of it, I saw my GI specialist, and based on my symptoms he feels I have microscopic colitis. We are beginning some therapy and will try a few different things before doing another colonoscopy and definitive biopsies.

Comment from: Nettie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis several years ago and like others was put on Entocort, which worked but the cost is too high. I read that honey is good for the digestive tract so I eat 2 teaspoons of raw honey daily and it greatly reduces my symptoms. In the past year I've been diagnosed with lymphoma and am now wondering if there is a connection between lymphocytic microscopic colitis and lymphoma. Of the 30 plus types of lymphoma, the doctors have not been able to pinpoint which one I have. And, since I don't have swollen lymph nodes, I am not getting treatments.

Microscopic Colitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?