Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Cause

What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: LuluJean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with costochondritis about 8 months back and still have been having issues with the pain especially if I do any of my dancing or a lot of house work. I cannot pick up anything over 10 lb. now without pain. I have to be careful on the amount of food I eat also, plus if any of the food gives me gas. The gas can make my ribs hurt from the other side. I cannot sit very long in one place either.

Comment from: Madelon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I wonder if anyone else who takes metoprolol (beta blocker against high blood pressure) and is since diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis. I take this medicine since last December, in January diarrhea started and has severely increased since then. I sincerely believe there is a connection between both, have to convince my doctors yet.

Comment from: Midge, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have had either IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) or IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) since early childhood. As a child I struggled with stomach aches, lots of gas, constipation, bloating, and after several days or weeks of that I finally exploded with diarrhea, which was extremely painful. It was diagnosed at age 19 as IBS, mucous colitis, spastic colon in 1964. I lived with it and had episodes with every event in my life from wedding day, honeymoon, pregnancy, surgeries, camping trips or trips of any kind. It evolved to frequent diarrhea and leaky gut until my gastroenterologist finally diagnosed me with collagenous colitis after doing biopsies. I finally had a name for this enemy but no reason that I should have it or a cure. Today, at 69, I watch my foods, know my triggers, avoid them and live a fairly healthy life. I take IVIG every month for raising my white cells which were very low and now feel much better. I can go from constipation to diarrhea depending on my diet but I"m in charge of that now.

Comment from: beevee boston, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am a 70 year old female. Have had microscopic colitis since July 2013. I adjusted my diet, eliminated dairy for 6 months, and eliminated all artificial sweeteners having found these to be very troubling to this condition. I was treated with prescription NSAIDS for bursitis and the symptoms started within days of taking the prescription. No NSAIDS for me (including Aleve, Advil, and aspirin). I slowly reintroduced dairy and am able to tolerate. Imodium (1 to 4/day) works to calm occasional minor flare ups.

Comment from: Texas CPA, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have had lymphocytic colitis since 2004, with it actually being diagnosed in 2008. I had no relief until last December I found a book on microscopic colitis. It changed my life. I had the testing done and I was fortunate in that the only problem was gluten. I went gluten free and also had to stop fresh fruits and vegetables. I am in remission and have been for three months. I have been able to slowly add back some fruits and vegetables, not all.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I am a senior softball tournament player who used ibuprofen frequently. I was recently diagnosed with microscopic colitis (MC) after 6 weeks of liquid bowels 6 to 8 times/day. About 10 days ago I began taking 1 lactic acid yeast wafer and 1 Digest RC tablet before each meal and switched to a gluten free bland diet which has reduced my liquid bowel episodes and volumes significantly. A 100 wafers cost about USD 50 from Standard Process and Digest RC tablets cost about USD 20. Both are available online. I am hoping that I am on the road to recovery.

Microscopic Colitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?