Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Cause

What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: jabba, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

After about 10 years of living in agony with cramps and diarrhea which has ruined my life and have been fobbed off by doctors, I have been diagnosed with microscopic colitis after a colonoscopy. They have given me steroids and they don't work.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

My symptoms, too, began just after my colonoscopy 11 months ago. After 2 months of symptoms I figured I was lactose intolerant and eliminated dairy products for 1 week---no relief. My thyroid tests showed I was taking slightly too much Synthroid, so for the next 8 weeks I put up with my symptoms while my thyroid medication was adjusted--no improvement. Since I noticed fruits and veggies seemed to be going through me very rapidly, I eliminated them for 3 days---no improvement. I then started Align for 4 weeks---no improvement. Then I spoke with my PCP and he ran blood tests for gluten intolerance, they were negative. I then began VSL#3, and my symptoms slightly improved, but if I miss one dose my symptoms are bad again for several days. After taking VSL#3 for 3 months and not being able to get off of it, I saw my GI specialist, and based on my symptoms he feels I have microscopic colitis. We are beginning some therapy and will try a few different things before doing another colonoscopy and definitive biopsies.

Comment from: Nettie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis several years ago and like others was put on Entocort, which worked but the cost is too high. I read that honey is good for the digestive tract so I eat 2 teaspoons of raw honey daily and it greatly reduces my symptoms. In the past year I've been diagnosed with lymphoma and am now wondering if there is a connection between lymphocytic microscopic colitis and lymphoma. Of the 30 plus types of lymphoma, the doctors have not been able to pinpoint which one I have. And, since I don't have swollen lymph nodes, I am not getting treatments.

Comment from: mali123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

My LC just started, and (luckily or not) because it had been found previously in some women in my family, I knew what test to take and got a quick positive diagnosis. Luckily I have not had severe symptoms, other than persistent watery diarrhea, and sensitivity to cold damp weather (made my joints and connective tissue ache, and left me very wrung out). Interestingly enough, my diarrhea is controlled at this point by elimination of gluten and addition of a lot of medium spicy green chili sauce (plenty in at least one meal a day - chilies are known to be anti-inflammatory). Guess I AM lucky....

Comment from: Mary, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was diagnosed with Lymphacytic colitis at the age of 28. I will be 38 at the end of his year. I have eliminated soo much from my diet that I know I have multiple deficiencies. I am not under care of Dr right now use to no insurance because of per-existing disease. I am constantly fatigued & just trying to make it through most days being a working mom. I have found that when I do take probiotics, they do help. For the last few years I have had flare ups at end of June, early July due to the heat. I take Dipentum to calm down my flare ups for about a month.

Comment from: Fay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

A torn meniscus and emergence of AO last year required used of NSAIDs to relive the inflammation. After several months, the symptoms of colitis began to emerge, finally diagnose through biopsy in a colonoscopy last month. Most helpful has been the introduction of fiber (Metamucil,) up to three doses when enjoying lots of fruit and veggie in season. Usually one dose a day is adequate to reduce the watery nature, and when that's not sufficient, Imodium. Pain from AO is now managed with icing and careful exercise.

Comment from: 1Leigh, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I am 32 years old and have been diagnosed with Lymphocytic colitis. After about 10 years of going back and forth to all types of doctors I finally found a doctor that would listen to me. Not only did I have the constipation/diarrhea but I had severe pain right under my ribs on my left side that I could feel both in the front and in the back. It's always in the same exact spot (my kids have had to put pressure on that spot so much that they know exactly where it's at!) For me this pain over the years was the worse part.

Microscopic Colitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?