Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Cause

What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: mali123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

My LC just started, and (luckily or not) because it had been found previously in some women in my family, I knew what test to take and got a quick positive diagnosis. Luckily I have not had severe symptoms, other than persistent watery diarrhea, and sensitivity to cold damp weather (made my joints and connective tissue ache, and left me very wrung out). Interestingly enough, my diarrhea is controlled at this point by elimination of gluten and addition of a lot of medium spicy green chili sauce (plenty in at least one meal a day - chilies are known to be anti-inflammatory). Guess I AM lucky....

Comment from: Mary, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was diagnosed with Lymphacytic colitis at the age of 28. I will be 38 at the end of his year. I have eliminated soo much from my diet that I know I have multiple deficiencies. I am not under care of Dr right now use to no insurance because of per-existing disease. I am constantly fatigued & just trying to make it through most days being a working mom. I have found that when I do take probiotics, they do help. For the last few years I have had flare ups at end of June, early July due to the heat. I take Dipentum to calm down my flare ups for about a month.

Comment from: Fay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

A torn meniscus and emergence of AO last year required used of NSAIDs to relive the inflammation. After several months, the symptoms of colitis began to emerge, finally diagnose through biopsy in a colonoscopy last month. Most helpful has been the introduction of fiber (Metamucil,) up to three doses when enjoying lots of fruit and veggie in season. Usually one dose a day is adequate to reduce the watery nature, and when that's not sufficient, Imodium. Pain from AO is now managed with icing and careful exercise.

Comment from: 1Leigh, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I am 32 years old and have been diagnosed with Lymphocytic colitis. After about 10 years of going back and forth to all types of doctors I finally found a doctor that would listen to me. Not only did I have the constipation/diarrhea but I had severe pain right under my ribs on my left side that I could feel both in the front and in the back. It's always in the same exact spot (my kids have had to put pressure on that spot so much that they know exactly where it's at!) For me this pain over the years was the worse part.

Comment from: Cinnamon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

He suggested that I go on steroidal drugs to take down the inflammation but I am so scared of the side effects that I refused. I pretty much got things to settle down after changing my diet, exercising and avoiding certain foods. Unfortunately, I have chronic diarrhea, pain, and nausea from time to time. Lately, almost everyday. Not sure what is going on now but the nausea, diarrhea, and stomach pain are worse and seem to be staying. In addition to being diagnosed with micro colitis, I had two gall stones the size of golf balls that were contributing to my pain and suffering. I had my gallbladder out last year.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis after begging my doctors to figure out why I was always having diarrhea and stomach problems. At first they blamed me. I was not sticking to my gluten free diet. I was and a follow up test proved it. I have celiac and have been gluten free for six years. Finally after my colonoscopy they found the problem. I think that my digestive system is sensitive and my immune system caused the colitis.

Comment from: TerrieOhio, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I have just been diagnosed with microscopic colitis and read that the drug, Simvastatin can also cause this. It has recently been advised by the FDA that people on Simvastatin (80 mg) need to stop taking this drug. I have other related health issues because of Simvastatin.

Microscopic Colitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?