Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: Spice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

After having diarrhea for a year I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis. I was told that I could try Pepto-Bismol as a treatment but I chose not to take it. I experienced this condition for a few more years and my husband finally persuaded me to try psyllium fiber. He takes Konsyl and others take Metamucil. I chose to take fiber capsules. I have been taking them for about a week now and am very happy with the results. They really help to make my bowel movements easier and less messy!

Comment from: Jennifer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have had shingles now for 3 weeks and the pain is vile. I have seen online that vitamins B12, E and C really help, I will try anything. I suffer osteoporosis in my spine and this is bad enough but the pain shingles has left me in my left lung is just excruciating.

Comment from: patcher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I have been suffering with chronic diarrhea for several years and taking up to 3 Imodium a day to control it. My family doctor suggested I try Align and to stop taking any ibuprofen or aspirin based products. In the interim I had a colonoscopy and the biopsy showed I have lymphocytic colitis. Well, the Align, a probiotic, really worked. I have not taken an Imodium since I started taking Align. I steer clear of ibuprofen. It has been 2 months now that I have been diarrhea free, so I will keep my fingers crossed. Based on my reading, a gluten and lactose free diet would be beneficial as well. Celiac runs in my family.

Comment from: karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I've been diagnosed with microscopic colitis (15 years ago). I have no medication as of now, as loperamide bunged me up throughout the day but kept me awake all night. I'm constantly on the toilet at least 10 or 15 times a day still, and I may as well say I have watery stools. I'm used to it and I live with it unless I'm on holiday, etc. I mentioned an allergy test but the doctor said I am allergic to almost most foods, hence my colitis. The only thing that has worked is steroids on a temporary basis.

Comment from: Barbara, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I was diagnosed as having microscopic colitis through a colonoscopy after months of diarrhea. I ruled out various foods (including dairy) but nothing worked. I've found that what does work for me is Metamucil. It's not just for constipation. It actually forms the stool and has eliminated diarrhea. I am now regular and normal without previous symptoms.

Comment from: Sunonme2day, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I give myself B 12 injections once a week and take probiotic VSL 3 daily. I have been sick with lymphocytic colitis for 3 years and almost feel normal again. Stress seems to bring on my condition more so than food. I do what I can to avoid stressful people and events.

Comment from: Dazie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 28

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis about four years ago. I had constant diarrhea, and for many years before that on and off diarrhea that I blamed on IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). I had a colonoscopy and was told that I have microscopic colitis. I have been on a gluten free diet which has stopped the diarrhea, just once in a while I will have a problem. At that point I will use Pepto-Bismol which seems to help.

Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?