Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: kW girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis in February 2014. I went on an 8 week course of Uceris. Within 24 hours my diarrhea had subsided. Six weeks after I stopped taking the drug my diarrhea returned, but I am now back on Uceris with the same result. Great drug but very expensive.

Comment from: Terry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I was diagnosed with C. difficile colitis 6 months ago. Before I was diagnosed I had been feeling very poorly. I was experiencing overwhelming fatigue and diarrhea. I had gone to several doctors who said I was over worked and depressed and I needed to see a psychiatrist. It was a nightmare! I decided to see my gastroenterologist. The day after I saw my gastroenterologist I became very ill with a very high fever and I became dehydrated and had to be hospitalized. The diagnosis in the hospital was bacterial colitis which was treated with antibiotics. I was in the hospital for two weeks. About three weeks after I left the hospital I went back to my gastroenterologist and he told me I had C. difficile/microscopic colitis. He gave me hyoscyamine 0.125mg for cramps and suggested I use Imodium for the diarrhea and slowly introduce more solid foods into my diet. About 5 weeks ago I began to have the colitis symptoms again and went back to him and he put me on the low FODMAP diet. I have been on the diet and eliminated all gluten and lactose products from my diet and it is getting a little better. I no longer experience diarrhea but now I get constipated and have to drink 1/4 of a (10oz) bottle of magnesium citrate so I can have a bowel movement. I have lost 20lbs in six months. I also experience pain in the center and left regions of the upper abdomen as well as my upper and lower back.

Comment from: SusieQ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

Diarrhea came on suddenly last summer after a meal. I had already scheduled a colonoscopy before the problem began. Doctor diagnosed collagenous colitis based on biopsy. He prescribed Entocort for one month then had me reduce dosage and eventually stop to see if diarrhea returned. It did. I use Pepto-Bismol a few times a day to control sudden onset of diarrhea attacks. When the condition takes a turn for the worse, I go back on the Entocort for several days until under better control.

Comment from: Midge, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

Having had colitis since early childhood before they could diagnose it, I am now 69 and feel I know a great deal about "my" colitis. In my 50s I finally had biopsy done and was diagnosed with microscopic colitis. No particular medicine helped, and I"ve been on many, but staying off of milk, most importantly off of sugars (natural or other) and all stimulants or irritants, excessive fiber, chocolate, and overeating has stopped the diarrhea. I eat some fiber cereal mixed with not so fibrous cereal at breakfast and that takes care of the constipation. If I"ve gone off my healthy foods I will get the diarrhea. I found one pill of 5mg/325mg Vicodin will stop the diarrhea and I"ve learned Pepcid AC relieves the gas almost immediately. I am careful with excessive ice cold drinks and try to avoid getting overheated. I do get symptoms under stress as my system seems to shut down as a way to protect itself. Then I eat lightly. This has made my life much more tolerable in regards to the IBD (inflammatory bowel disease). Sixty years with this condition has taught me a lot. Thank goodness I have a tolerant family as it has affected every part of my life. My lifelong colitis has lowered my IgG (immunoglobulin) levels, or white cells, so I receive once a month an IV infusion of white cells. I am so much healthier now.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis in 2010. I had chronic diarrhea for 4 months and ended up getting dehydrated and was put in the hospital for five days. On biopsy, it was diagnosed as lymphocytic colitis. I was initially put on Entocort and it didn't do much. I continued to have abdominal pain, cramping, and diarrhea. Currently I take one capsule of Entocort daily, dicyclomine and Imodium when necessary, and when I have a "flare" or relapse, I have to bump the Entocort, and Asacol up. I take three Entocort and six Asacol daily, along with the dicyclomine and Imodium when the cramping is bad and I have to go to the bathroom a lot. Usually after about two weeks it begins to calm down and I taper the medicines to maintenance levels. If I listen to my body carefully, I can tell when a flare is brewing.

Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?