Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: AmyoftheLakes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I woke up Monday morning (05/16/16) with severe vomiting. This was not too surprising as both my sons had been hit previously with norovirus infection that seemed to last one day only. Monday, I had nausea all day. I hadn't read the advice to stay home for up to three days so I took the day off to spend with my daughter on Tuesday, shopping and eating a light meal. I have not vomited again since Monday, but I have had the liquefied diarrhea. At least I could make it to the toilet. I worked again Wednesday but was exhausted. Thursday I worked a half day but even after a few hours' rest I could not go out to take photos in the evening as I was supposed to. Friday I worked approximately a half day. Saturday, I had to work throughout the day to make up for all I missed. I have been able to tolerate mostly bland foods still with regular dinner foods in small amounts only and except for a banana milkshake last night, I am staying away from dairy for the most part still, as well as anything too spicy, acidic. As my first and worst vomit came from last Sunday night's sloppy joes, I have an aversion to anything with ground beef at this time, almost a full week later. I am sure that will get better with time but I feel I won't be back to normal eating for several more days at least.

Comment from: erica32, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I started having symptoms of colitis in May 2015. I believe it went on for 2 to 3 weeks before I went to my gastroenterologist. I was scheduled for a colonoscopy which came back with microscopic colitis as a result. I was put on Entocort and stayed on as long as my doctor told me, however within the week I felt back to normal. I was weaned off a little while after that and have been ok since.

Comment from: Spice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

After having diarrhea for a year I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis. I was told that I could try Pepto-Bismol as a treatment but I chose not to take it. I experienced this condition for a few more years and my husband finally persuaded me to try psyllium fiber. He takes Konsyl and others take Metamucil. I chose to take fiber capsules. I have been taking them for about a week now and am very happy with the results. They really help to make my bowel movements easier and less messy!

Comment from: Jennifer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have had shingles now for 3 weeks and the pain is vile. I have seen online that vitamins B12, E and C really help, I will try anything. I suffer osteoporosis in my spine and this is bad enough but the pain shingles has left me in my left lung is just excruciating.

Comment from: patcher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I have been suffering with chronic diarrhea for several years and taking up to 3 Imodium a day to control it. My family doctor suggested I try Align and to stop taking any ibuprofen or aspirin based products. In the interim I had a colonoscopy and the biopsy showed I have lymphocytic colitis. Well, the Align, a probiotic, really worked. I have not taken an Imodium since I started taking Align. I steer clear of ibuprofen. It has been 2 months now that I have been diarrhea free, so I will keep my fingers crossed. Based on my reading, a gluten and lactose free diet would be beneficial as well. Celiac runs in my family.

Comment from: karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I've been diagnosed with microscopic colitis (15 years ago). I have no medication as of now, as loperamide bunged me up throughout the day but kept me awake all night. I'm constantly on the toilet at least 10 or 15 times a day still, and I may as well say I have watery stools. I'm used to it and I live with it unless I'm on holiday, etc. I mentioned an allergy test but the doctor said I am allergic to almost most foods, hence my colitis. The only thing that has worked is steroids on a temporary basis.

Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?