Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: bells, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I was recently diagnosed with microscopic colitis. I did a lot of reading and learned that gluten is often the catalyst behind the diarrhea. So I totally went gluten-free, as well as almost dairy free. Within 2 or 3 weeks the diarrhea ended, and I am feeling just about normal. I had lost about 25 lb. in 2 months with the diarrhea and now my weight is remaining stable. I don't eat any junk food, and never did, and didn't eat desserts or sweets so I really don't know how I ended up with microscopic colitis. At least it can be treated by diet, and not medicine.

Comment from: Miss P, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

Five years ago I started having explosive watery diarrhea after everything I ate. I did not go to the doctor for 2 years. I'm a runner so this definitely hindered my hobby somewhat. I had a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with microscopic colitis. I wondered if this is the diagnosis used when they can't figure out what is actually wrong. I tried all the medicines and the only thing that made a difference was prednisone. However, I will never be on that horrible drug again. I am wondering what this is doing to my body. I have not lost or gained any weight. My hair is dry and brittle and often breaks and falls out. I do not know if this is a side effect or possibly hormonal now that I am in the menopause years. Although I have a good doctor probably the best in my large city, I am trying to get in with another gastroenterologist at a local university. I am hoping he doesn't want his own colonoscopy to look at. Yuck! That is something else I never want to do again.

Comment from: Stan, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I found the culprit on my own since the doctors didn't have any answers. My microscopic colitis was diagnosed several years ago at age 65ish. After a while I decided to have a good long look at the foods I was eating, so started to keep a journal. When I would have a flare I would look back at what I had eaten and what ingredients were in those foods. Lo and behold! MSG (monosodium glutamate) was the big bad culprit. I stopped eating anything with MSG in it and almost eliminated the problem entirely. Sometimes foods high in glutamates like tomatoes and tomato products like catsup or anything made with tomato paste can trigger symptoms, too. I've found that eating fresh (not canned or pre-prepared) foods are best for keeping the beast away.

Comment from: Ladybug, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have microscopic colitis and was treated with budesonide. It seemed to help at first then stopped. I now take Lomotil to manage my diarrhea and some days I only have diarrhea once. I was having 6 to 8 trips to the bathroom and some during the night. I wonder now if it is going away or just giving me a temporary break.

Comment from: Twinkiltoes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was diagnosed with colitis and put on medications. Then I started a no sugar, no dairy, no fruit, and no carb diet. I went off my medications because now I am constipated. I'm not sure what it is I ate before that caused it. The only dairy I ate was cheese. Makes me worried about starting to eat again.

Comment from: 7hdui3, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 18

After several years of diarrhea, I had an upper gastrointestinal (GI) scan that showed nothing, except the contrast moved through my system very quickly. My GI doctor prescribed cholestyramine, which doesn't work well in reducing cholesterol, but does have a side effect of constipation. However, it didn't really change my symptoms, so my doctor performed a colonoscopy. The results were clean, but after taking biopsies, I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis in February 2015. True to the literature, the doctor said causes and cures were unknown at this time, but he gave me some 30-day samples of EnteraGam, and I started to see improvement within days. It doesn't taste very good, so I asked my doctor if I could mix it with the leftover cholestyramine (citrus taste) and Citrucel (citrus). He told me to try it out, and let him know immediately if there were any problems. Nearly five months later, my system is working better than it has in years. EnteraGam is shipped from the manufacturer, and it costs about $50 per month. But I have found it to be a great value in returning me to normal, daily functions.

Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?