Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: mturn2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I too have been diagnosed with Lymphocytic colitis and experience chronic constipation - not the water diarrhea as most seem to experience with this condition. I haven't been offered any solutions to this problem so I take a lot of simethecone for the awful gas build up that goes along with the constipation. Going on a year now and still have awful symptoms.

Comment from: Revanche, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I was just diagnosed with Lymphocytic Colitis. I went to the doctor because I go back and forth between constipation and diarrhea. Mostly constipation. I have gone as long as a week without anything and I stop being hungry. I have also developed sensitivity and swelling in my abdominal area. Colonoscopy showed no ulceration but the biopsies confirmed the diagnosis. My doctor says the constipation is from the swelling of the intestines blocking everything in.

Comment from: sick & tired, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I've had microscopic colitis for at least 30 years, and I've been on a lot of different drugs for this and with no avail nothings worked. Doctor I've been seeing for past 4, 5 years and he's wanting me off steroid entocort. So he's sending me to the hospital, see what they can do for me, sure hope a lot because. I'm tired of the crapping and of the pills.

Comment from: rag12, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I suffered with this for years and was finally sent to a gastroenterologist familiar with collagenous colitis. He prescribed 2 Pepto-bismal CHEWABLE tabs. 4 times a day during severe episode, then to taper off as needed. It has worked but it is much like walking a tightrope, as too many and constipation then too few and more liquid stools, but one can get some relief this way.

Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?