Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: Ginny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis in 2007, after being diagnosed with chronic diarrhea. I finally had a biopsy of my colon lining. The treatment ordered was Pepto Bismol 4 times a day, and after 6 months of only liquid bowel movements I finally stopped losing weight and I had my first solid stools. It flares up intermittently and the Pepto Bismol usually stopped it in a day or two, but stress in my life exacerbates it, and Pepto Bismol has ceased to work any more.

Comment from: psalms18, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Hi just thought I would give my two cents on this topic. I have MC both with LC first then CC/LC. I tried the asacol, butrine, and the pepto tablets. The asacol made me so sick so quit, Butrine worked until I quit taking it, pepto worked for a while then my body just ignored it. Prednisone was the wonder drug but not a good thing to stay on. So started up after I quit steroids. I have had this going on 16 years. Mine is the liquid type, I have found quite a bit of relief with a gluten free diet and no milk (lactose) cheese ok and yogurt no. I did the probiotics before they were the new thing and it was just ok. Imodium doesn't work and I can take up to 5 or so and nothing but helps with the cramps. But I do notice that when I am not eating gluten I do not get the intense cramping. Yes I still have watery stools. I take easily digested vitamins and make sure I keep hydrated. Yes, I still get easily fatigued but learn to pace myself or be exhausted and I do mean EXHAUSTED. Hope this helps.

Comment from: roundman, 55-64 Female Published: December 01

Have microscopic (collagenous) colitis for a year and have had two bouts of pancreatitis 3 months apart which I am blaming meds for the colitis. Asacol and colozal. Asacol is what I was on for the 1st time and colozal only took 2 days of taking for the pancreatitis to happen. It is a flu-like aching, can't sleep well because of aches...if you experience this GO TO your doctor and get tested. I had a 4 day hospital day the 1st time and a 5 day stay 2nd time. I have also tried Entocort and it was great but came back after I stopped it (plus cost $1500/mo) Now on Lialda and am worried because it is similar to Asacol so am nervous about pancreatitis but maybe I got lucky. Still pretty expensive but not like Entocort (general Busenide is $1100/mo). This really sucks and so far no meds have really helped or slowed down colitis. If anyone gets lucky on something let us know. Also my Dr says cures for Crohns or IBS will not work because is totally different colitis.

Comment from: Purplegirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

35 years old. Had watery diarrhea up to 10 times per day for 1 1/2 months. Lost 12 lbs, diagnosed with microscopic colitis after finally having a colonoscopy. I really believe it was from taking Zoloft. Began taking Zoloft a month before my symptoms showed up. Cut out fiber, fresh fruits and veggies, diary to control symptoms, only take Entocort when it flairs up really bad. Since being diagnosed, weaned myself off the Zoloft. Pepto, probiotics and over the counter antidiarrheal meds did not work. Entocort works but it made me constipated, therefore only take when symptoms get really bad.

Comment from: relieved, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have had two years of urgent watery stools. With some unfortunate accidents. I went in for my colonoscopy and it was discovered that I had collagenous colitis. They thought I got it from taking daily ibuprofen. I am now on Idocort and have had the first normal bowel movement in a long time. I hope I am one of those for whom this is a short term problem. I will not take ibuprofen again as I did slip up and I had the watery stools for that day.

Comment from: smhoffen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I have been having chronic diarrhea for a year now. Stool cultures came back negative. Have ruled out with my doctor: IBS, Lactose Intolerance, Gluten Intolerance, and Diverticulitis. I have no pain at all. Just watery and loose diarrhea. Have lost maybe 15-29 lbs so far. This microscopic colitis could be the answer. Can't afford a colonoscopy as I have no insurance.

Comment from: Kricar, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I just met today with my new gastroenterologist and he feels I most likely have lymphocytic colitis but we will know for sure after my colonoscopy. I haven't been able to find much information on this so I really am happy to read your stories. Not happy you are suffering but happy you have found relief. I just bought a book on FODMAPS. My usual life of Imodium, Pepto-Bismol, and a diet of bananas and rice can't be it, so I will try this way of eating and see what happens.

Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?