Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis in 2010. I had chronic diarrhea for 4 months and ended up getting dehydrated and was put in the hospital for five days. On biopsy, it was diagnosed as lymphocytic colitis. I was initially put on Entocort and it didn't do much. I continued to have abdominal pain, cramping, and diarrhea. Currently I take one capsule of Entocort daily, dicyclomine and Imodium when necessary, and when I have a "flare" or relapse, I have to bump the Entocort, and Asacol up. I take three Entocort and six Asacol daily, along with the dicyclomine and Imodium when the cramping is bad and I have to go to the bathroom a lot. Usually after about two weeks it begins to calm down and I taper the medicines to maintenance levels. If I listen to my body carefully, I can tell when a flare is brewing.

Comment from: veryvegan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed about a year ago with lymphocytic colitis. I've taken the Pepto Bismol treatment. It took about 8-9 weeks to put the diarrhea at bay. That lasted for about 5 months, then I got a slight flare-up and since I was about to travel was I given Entocort, which was very successful within 2 days. I started easing off after a week and am down to 3mg, 5 times/week, tapering to discontinue.

Comment from: donna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I just recently was diagnosed with microscopic colitis. I have had bouts of explosive diarrhea for 20 years or more and have been told years ago that it was IBS or diverticulitis, or many other things. I always had to know where the closest bathroom was, or be able to pull off the road. Since the colonoscopy everything has been normal. I just hope it stays that way. So I can't see how the colonoscopy could of started it. It helped me.... Good luck!!

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

Well, I found something for lymphocytic colitis that keeps me pretty normal. Try Esdifan. It's a supplement I found online. It contains zeolite, which keeps absorbing water from the colon which in turn controls the runs! It is full of B vitamins, etc., very good for you. It gives you lots of pep, energy, etc.

Comment from: Groovyartgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I was diagnosed 8 years ago and had chronic diarrhea for 5 years. I changed my diet, did Entocort but only had moderate relief. I started taking bentonite clay with some herbal fungicides and have been healing for the past 3 years with minimal episodes. I drank up to 8 cups a day at times, but it really worked!

Comment from: Louise, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have used Entocort, and have tried Imodium for lymphocytic colitis. They help but how long should one use these medicines! I do not have pain or cramping, just uncontrollable diarrhea for months. Then it goes away sometimes for a year or more, then flares up again.

Comment from: Ginny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis in 2007, after being diagnosed with chronic diarrhea. I finally had a biopsy of my colon lining. The treatment ordered was Pepto Bismol 4 times a day, and after 6 months of only liquid bowel movements I finally stopped losing weight and I had my first solid stools. It flares up intermittently and the Pepto Bismol usually stopped it in a day or two, but stress in my life exacerbates it, and Pepto Bismol has ceased to work any more.

Comment from: psalms18, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Hi just thought I would give my two cents on this topic. I have MC both with LC first then CC/LC. I tried the asacol, butrine, and the pepto tablets. The asacol made me so sick so quit, Butrine worked until I quit taking it, pepto worked for a while then my body just ignored it. Prednisone was the wonder drug but not a good thing to stay on. So started up after I quit steroids. I have had this going on 16 years. Mine is the liquid type, I have found quite a bit of relief with a gluten free diet and no milk (lactose) cheese ok and yogurt no. I did the probiotics before they were the new thing and it was just ok. Imodium doesn't work and I can take up to 5 or so and nothing but helps with the cramps. But I do notice that when I am not eating gluten I do not get the intense cramping. Yes I still have watery stools. I take easily digested vitamins and make sure I keep hydrated. Yes, I still get easily fatigued but learn to pace myself or be exhausted and I do mean EXHAUSTED. Hope this helps.

Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?