Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: Living Life, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I had diarrhea for about a year before I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis six months ago. My gastroenterologist put me on EnteraGam which is a powder that I mix into Gatorade. If I take that religiously every day, I have normal bowel movements. I do still have occasional churning in my colon but it is not painful.

Comment from: maryk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had diarrhea and pain three years ago and stomach pain that went on. I was diagnosed through a colonoscopy with microscopic colitis. I was put on Entocort 3 times a day for one month, then 2 times, then once, for three months. I was symptom free for three years. After eating a raw steak it started again but not as severe. Another colonoscopy showed colitis but less severe so I am repeating the same treatment. After 10 days, I feel normal. I am going to watch my symptoms and hopefully if it reoccurs, I do this three month treatment every few years to keep it under control. I don't eliminate any foods and generally very healthy otherwise.

Comment from: mia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I was diagnosed with collagenous colitis 15 years ago. I refused steroids, and mostly mitigated the chronic diarrhea with a gluten free diet. The diarrhea never disappeared, but the pains and gas were somewhat better (somewhat). Then I tried sulfasalazine but had severe stomach pain with it. Now, 15 years later I tried the Pepto-Bismol routine (8 tabs divided up to 4 times a day for 8 weeks). Well, it's working! I'm at week 8 now and about to go off, but I have had normal bowel movements for 2 months now; it's been so wonderful! I hope the effects last after discontinuing the Pepto-Bismol.

Comment from: gmanaustin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I was diagnosed with collagenous colitis 2 years ago. I was able to control it mostly by taking budesonide. As soon as I stopped taking the medication, my symptoms would reappear. About 2 months ago, I decided to stop eating bread (mostly Oroweat Oatnut). I was eating sandwiches for lunch 4 to 5 times a week. Lo and behold, my symptoms have disappeared, not to mention some fat around my middle. I was tested for gluten intolerance in the diagnosis phase and it came back negative. So, I'm perplexed with this development but also very pleased.

Comment from: jinx, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 26

I was diagnosed after colonoscopy and biopsies, with lymphocytic colitis (LC) 14 months ago after sudden onset of symptoms. Initially I was on Entocort but side effects were severe; headache, stomachache, and extreme fatigue. I changed to Asacol, and pretty much the same side effects. After 9 months of trying to find correct dosage I began to see a doctor of naturopathy. She put me on a dairy free, citrus free, and low acid diet. All of these things reduce inflammation in the body. Things improved immediately. Now after 6 months, I am drug free, managing the LC with diet and supplements. Energy has returned but is still not what it used to be. I have no headaches, stomachache, cramping, gas (which was excessive), constipation or watery stools. I feel very lucky. I know that a flare up is likely and I may need the drugs for a short while but for now life is good again.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis approximately 3 years ago. I had been having explosive diarrhea at least 7 times every day, I lost quite a bit of weight about 2 years ago. I had my colonoscopy and microscopic colitis was my diagnosis. I was told that maybe it was the ibuprofen I was taking. I tried all of the over the counter anti-diarrhea medicines, nothing worked. My gastroenterologist put me on the probiotic regimen and that did not word either. I now use dicyclomine with some relief. I am curious though, I also at times get very nauseous with flare ups, almost to the point I feel like I am going to vomit. With my last flare up I just did not have an appetite, this time however I am really nauseous. This is my second flare up in 2 years and I am hoping this just goes away.

Comment from: Stephanie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was experiencing heavy episodes of diarrhea after I turned 17 years old (I am only 19), which became a problem because I was still in grade school. My pediatrician ran every test she could in the clinic then referred me to a gastroenterologist but I had to wait until I turned 18 to see an adult gastroenterologist. After further questioning she went ahead and did a colonoscopy. She said nothing showed up on the visual inspection of my colon but my biopsy results showed I had colitis. I asked if it was any specific type, she only told me with time I will know because I am so young. Currently I am on Asacol, but the medication is very expensive.

Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?