Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: zbird, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I get watery diarrhea 10 times a day with extreme weakness and episodes of supraventricular tachycardia (very fast heartbeat). The doctor concentrated on my heart and said to keep a food diary and take immodium which did not work. Two months later the pain started again. I had a sigmoidoscopy and was diagnosed with lymphatic colitis. Five different prescriptions did not work. Generic entocort finally helped. I have lost 32 pounds. When I phased off the Entocort, the symptoms returned. The name brand of this prescription is $1200 a mont. the generic works for me at $400 a month.

Comment from: Virginia, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have had diarrhea off and on for several years. Last spring I started having it once a week and then every other day. Conventional medicine did not help. After having a colonoscopy and being diagnosed with microscopic lymphatic colitis I went to a clinic that specializes in natural, holistic treatments. I was put on a strict lactose and gluten-free diet with low fiber and was given Zypan, DGL and Intestinal Repair preparation that contains glutamine and other natural ingredients, as well as a probiotic and a Chinese herb for the fatigue and faintness. The diarrhea cleared up within a week and I feel much stronger and have more energy. It has been six weeks and I feel great.

Comment from: Joy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I was diagnosed with Lymphocytic Colitis when I was 34 after being told I had IBS for years. It was a relief to actually be diagnosed with something! I totally avoid all NSAIDs now. I would get terrible diarrhea when I used them (I didn't use them for long - say twice a month - not realizing they were making me worse!) I had long term diarrhea for a few years. I avoided fibre too. I seem to be Ok now (I'm 42), except when I get a gastro bug - which I tend to get worse than everyone else. Had a gastro bug for four weeks once and lost 7 kilos. Went to the hospital and they said they could do nothing for me. I cried for two hours!

Comment from: joeysgirl, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I was diagnosed almost a year ago with Microscopic Colitis after 7 years of chronic diarrhea. When I say chronic I mean, 18-20 episodes a day and up 2-4 times a night, IF it woke me up. When it didn't wake me up, well...you can imagine. I was convinced I had no choice but to live this way. I was constantly sick, exhausted, dehydrated, and couldn't gain weight if you paid me. I had been to a gastroenterologist after the first 2 months of diarrhea and was told it was "colitis, self limiting". In other words, "It'll pass. See ya in two years." After 7 years, I'm down to 95 lbs, and on the verge of malnutrition, and I followed up. He took 6 biopsies of my colon and all 6 were positive for microscopic colitis, even in the cecum. I've been taking Entocort and Colazol since the day he gave me the verdict. I gained 8 lbs the first month!!! I have not been able to stop the meds, however. every time I try, the diarrhea, nausea, cramping, and fatigue return within a week. Looks like I'm a lifer.

Comment from: lillyp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis and have tried everything. The only thing that has saved my life is tincture of opium. After taking it for the last five years, my GI prescribed Entocort. It is a miracle but I am afraid I will need to take it the rest of my life (56 year old).

Comment from: SueZ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I was diagnosed with LC winter 2011, fortunately within two months of onset. I have made significant progress by eliminating gluten and dairy, reducing fiber intake, taking Entocort (now down to 3mg every 3days), eliminating an SSRI med, all NSAIDS, and Fosamax. I have significantly reduced joint pain, despite stopping NSAIDS, including Celebrex. I believe this to be the result of eliminating gluten, at my doctor's insistence.

Comment from: FeelingBetter, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

My m. colitis was diagnosed in conjunction with treatment for deep clinical depression and anxiety. My gastro added Dioxin to my medication and it cleared up the colitis in a month or so. I still have it very occasionally and only have to take the Dioxin when it flares up. My understanding is that Dioxin was formerly used as an antidepressant but is no longer. However it is indicated in my case as a treatment for the colitis.

Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?