Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis approximately 3 years ago. I had been having explosive diarrhea at least 7 times every day, I lost quite a bit of weight about 2 years ago. I had my colonoscopy and microscopic colitis was my diagnosis. I was told that maybe it was the ibuprofen I was taking. I tried all of the over the counter anti-diarrhea medicines, nothing worked. My gastroenterologist put me on the probiotic regimen and that did not word either. I now use dicyclomine with some relief. I am curious though, I also at times get very nauseous with flare ups, almost to the point I feel like I am going to vomit. With my last flare up I just did not have an appetite, this time however I am really nauseous. This is my second flare up in 2 years and I am hoping this just goes away.

Comment from: Stephanie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was experiencing heavy episodes of diarrhea after I turned 17 years old (I am only 19), which became a problem because I was still in grade school. My pediatrician ran every test she could in the clinic then referred me to a gastroenterologist but I had to wait until I turned 18 to see an adult gastroenterologist. After further questioning she went ahead and did a colonoscopy. She said nothing showed up on the visual inspection of my colon but my biopsy results showed I had colitis. I asked if it was any specific type, she only told me with time I will know because I am so young. Currently I am on Asacol, but the medication is very expensive.

Comment from: Dobby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis in February 2012 and I reacted badly to the anti-inflammatory steroid I was prescribed. I then started to follow the FODMAP diet, designed to help people with food intolerances. My symptoms immediately improved and continued to improve over the next 12 months. If I deviate from the FODMAP allowed foods my symptoms return, particularly heartburn and diarrhea. Although FODMAP means I have to avoid many foods from all food groups I am still able to eat a few from each group, so have variety in my diet. It's not perfect but I prefer to avoid taking drugs for the condition.

Comment from: sandra, 65-74 (Patient) Published: July 14

My doctor put me on probiotics 3 times a day and my condition has improved at least 80%. He said he could not put me on the medication at this time and see how the probiotics continue to help my lymphocytic colitis. I feel like I have my life back.

Comment from: kW girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis in February 2014. I went on an 8 week course of Uceris. Within 24 hours my diarrhea had subsided. Six weeks after I stopped taking the drug my diarrhea returned, but I am now back on Uceris with the same result. Great drug but very expensive.

Comment from: Terry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I was diagnosed with C. difficile colitis 6 months ago. Before I was diagnosed I had been feeling very poorly. I was experiencing overwhelming fatigue and diarrhea. I had gone to several doctors who said I was over worked and depressed and I needed to see a psychiatrist. It was a nightmare! I decided to see my gastroenterologist. The day after I saw my gastroenterologist I became very ill with a very high fever and I became dehydrated and had to be hospitalized. The diagnosis in the hospital was bacterial colitis which was treated with antibiotics. I was in the hospital for two weeks. About three weeks after I left the hospital I went back to my gastroenterologist and he told me I had C. difficile/microscopic colitis. He gave me hyoscyamine 0.125mg for cramps and suggested I use Imodium for the diarrhea and slowly introduce more solid foods into my diet. About 5 weeks ago I began to have the colitis symptoms again and went back to him and he put me on the low FODMAP diet. I have been on the diet and eliminated all gluten and lactose products from my diet and it is getting a little better. I no longer experience diarrhea but now I get constipated and have to drink 1/4 of a (10oz) bottle of magnesium citrate so I can have a bowel movement. I have lost 20lbs in six months. I also experience pain in the center and left regions of the upper abdomen as well as my upper and lower back.

Comment from: SusieQ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

Diarrhea came on suddenly last summer after a meal. I had already scheduled a colonoscopy before the problem began. Doctor diagnosed collagenous colitis based on biopsy. He prescribed Entocort for one month then had me reduce dosage and eventually stop to see if diarrhea returned. It did. I use Pepto-Bismol a few times a day to control sudden onset of diarrhea attacks. When the condition takes a turn for the worse, I go back on the Entocort for several days until under better control.

Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?