Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: Purplegirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

35 years old. Had watery diarrhea up to 10 times per day for 1 1/2 months. Lost 12 lbs, diagnosed with microscopic colitis after finally having a colonoscopy. I really believe it was from taking Zoloft. Began taking Zoloft a month before my symptoms showed up. Cut out fiber, fresh fruits and veggies, diary to control symptoms, only take Entocort when it flairs up really bad. Since being diagnosed, weaned myself off the Zoloft. Pepto, probiotics and over the counter antidiarrheal meds did not work. Entocort works but it made me constipated, therefore only take when symptoms get really bad.

Comment from: relieved, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have had two years of urgent watery stools. With some unfortunate accidents. I went in for my colonoscopy and it was discovered that I had collagenous colitis. They thought I got it from taking daily ibuprofen. I am now on Idocort and have had the first normal bowel movement in a long time. I hope I am one of those for whom this is a short term problem. I will not take ibuprofen again as I did slip up and I had the watery stools for that day.

Comment from: smhoffen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I have been having chronic diarrhea for a year now. Stool cultures came back negative. Have ruled out with my doctor: IBS, Lactose Intolerance, Gluten Intolerance, and Diverticulitis. I have no pain at all. Just watery and loose diarrhea. Have lost maybe 15-29 lbs so far. This microscopic colitis could be the answer. Can't afford a colonoscopy as I have no insurance.

Comment from: Lorraine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have lymphocytic colitis newly diagnosed. I was on Delzicol for a year for ulcerative colitis. After two months of diarrhea and losing 21 pounds I was put on budesonide EC 3 mg 3 once a day.

Comment from: Beatrice, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I have had daily, frequent diarrhea for several years now. Can have from 10-20 trips to the bathroom daily. I do not have pain with this but as some of you have said one has to continually think about where a bathroom is when out and about as accidents can happen! My gastrointologist believes I have microscopic colitis. I will be having a colonoscopy soon. I'm hoping that there will be a meds available for me that is not financially out of the ballpark. Because I have painful arthritis and degenerative disk desease, I take ibuprofen to try and help with pain and also Celebrex but do not use it often. I did find that recently when I had a bout with vertigo due to fluid in my inner ear that while taking Dramamine along with Allegra-D, I had NO diarrhea for 36 hours! I told my doctor this and am hoping that may be a clue to some type of medicine leading to reducing symptoms but don't believe one should take Dramamine on a daily basis.

Comment from: Angelbaby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I've had colitis off and on all my life. Finally, I was diagnosed eight years ago with microscopic colitis after a colonoscopy. I think it is probably from daily ibuprofen for treatment of fibromyalgia. This is probably why people with fibromyalgia often have colitis. The only thing that works when it gets really bad is Entocort EC. I only take it when I absolutely must because of the price ($650 for 30 days). I am due for another colonoscopy this year and will ask for a full battery of tests to be sure it isn't gluten as well. I probably will try a lactose-free diet, but that takes out of my diet part of the little that I can eat right now during flare-ups.

Comment from: Too young for this, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I started having watery diarrhea when I was 32. I've suffered over the past four years with watery diarrhea up to 10-12 times a day. I've had two colonoscopies and an EGD. I was diagnosed with collagenous colitis. Entocort has worked wonderfully for me except my GI doctor says I can't stay on it long term. I've already lost bone density from taking it. I'm not sure what to try next.

Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?