Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: gmanaustin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I was diagnosed with collagenous colitis 2 years ago. I was able to control it mostly by taking budesonide. As soon as I stopped taking the medication, my symptoms would reappear. About 2 months ago, I decided to stop eating bread (mostly Oroweat Oatnut). I was eating sandwiches for lunch 4 to 5 times a week. Lo and behold, my symptoms have disappeared, not to mention some fat around my middle. I was tested for gluten intolerance in the diagnosis phase and it came back negative. So, I'm perplexed with this development but also very pleased.

Comment from: jinx, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 26

I was diagnosed after colonoscopy and biopsies, with lymphocytic colitis (LC) 14 months ago after sudden onset of symptoms. Initially I was on Entocort but side effects were severe; headache, stomachache, and extreme fatigue. I changed to Asacol, and pretty much the same side effects. After 9 months of trying to find correct dosage I began to see a doctor of naturopathy. She put me on a dairy free, citrus free, and low acid diet. All of these things reduce inflammation in the body. Things improved immediately. Now after 6 months, I am drug free, managing the LC with diet and supplements. Energy has returned but is still not what it used to be. I have no headaches, stomachache, cramping, gas (which was excessive), constipation or watery stools. I feel very lucky. I know that a flare up is likely and I may need the drugs for a short while but for now life is good again.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis approximately 3 years ago. I had been having explosive diarrhea at least 7 times every day, I lost quite a bit of weight about 2 years ago. I had my colonoscopy and microscopic colitis was my diagnosis. I was told that maybe it was the ibuprofen I was taking. I tried all of the over the counter anti-diarrhea medicines, nothing worked. My gastroenterologist put me on the probiotic regimen and that did not word either. I now use dicyclomine with some relief. I am curious though, I also at times get very nauseous with flare ups, almost to the point I feel like I am going to vomit. With my last flare up I just did not have an appetite, this time however I am really nauseous. This is my second flare up in 2 years and I am hoping this just goes away.

Comment from: Stephanie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was experiencing heavy episodes of diarrhea after I turned 17 years old (I am only 19), which became a problem because I was still in grade school. My pediatrician ran every test she could in the clinic then referred me to a gastroenterologist but I had to wait until I turned 18 to see an adult gastroenterologist. After further questioning she went ahead and did a colonoscopy. She said nothing showed up on the visual inspection of my colon but my biopsy results showed I had colitis. I asked if it was any specific type, she only told me with time I will know because I am so young. Currently I am on Asacol, but the medication is very expensive.

Comment from: Dobby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis in February 2012 and I reacted badly to the anti-inflammatory steroid I was prescribed. I then started to follow the FODMAP diet, designed to help people with food intolerances. My symptoms immediately improved and continued to improve over the next 12 months. If I deviate from the FODMAP allowed foods my symptoms return, particularly heartburn and diarrhea. Although FODMAP means I have to avoid many foods from all food groups I am still able to eat a few from each group, so have variety in my diet. It's not perfect but I prefer to avoid taking drugs for the condition.

Comment from: sandra, 65-74 (Patient) Published: July 14

My doctor put me on probiotics 3 times a day and my condition has improved at least 80%. He said he could not put me on the medication at this time and see how the probiotics continue to help my lymphocytic colitis. I feel like I have my life back.

Comment from: kW girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis in February 2014. I went on an 8 week course of Uceris. Within 24 hours my diarrhea had subsided. Six weeks after I stopped taking the drug my diarrhea returned, but I am now back on Uceris with the same result. Great drug but very expensive.

Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?