Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: 7hdui3, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 18

After several years of diarrhea, I had an upper gastrointestinal (GI) scan that showed nothing, except the contrast moved through my system very quickly. My GI doctor prescribed cholestyramine, which doesn't work well in reducing cholesterol, but does have a side effect of constipation. However, it didn't really change my symptoms, so my doctor performed a colonoscopy. The results were clean, but after taking biopsies, I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis in February 2015. True to the literature, the doctor said causes and cures were unknown at this time, but he gave me some 30-day samples of EnteraGam, and I started to see improvement within days. It doesn't taste very good, so I asked my doctor if I could mix it with the leftover cholestyramine (citrus taste) and Citrucel (citrus). He told me to try it out, and let him know immediately if there were any problems. Nearly five months later, my system is working better than it has in years. EnteraGam is shipped from the manufacturer, and it costs about $50 per month. But I have found it to be a great value in returning me to normal, daily functions.

Comment from: phmmfg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis 1 1/2 years ago, in December 2013, after a couple of years of occasional watery diarrhea and then a solid month of watery diarrhea that didn't respond to Lomotil, Pepto-Bismol, or any of the usual medications. It took a biopsy of my colon to confirm the diagnosis. I was on sertraline for many years, so I suspect that was the cause. Budesonide (Entocort) works great for me, but yes, it is expensive and I worry about the long term side effects of chronic steroid therapy. My bone density actually improved after my diagnosis because it kick started me into being more active and taking better care of myself. I avoid gluten and lactose just because it seems to aggravate cramping, even though I didn't test positive for gluten intolerance. Yes, it is awful to have this disease, but it is manageable and isn't fatal, so I try to stay positive.

Comment from: Martha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

In 2008 I took clindamycin for a sinus infection and after the last pill I started having severe diarrhea. Prior to that I never had any digestion/gastro issues whatsoever. I ate everything with no problems. Years of testing, medication, no eating, watching everything I put in my mouth, they finally diagnosed me with microscopic colitis in December 2014. I tried one month of Apriso, it helped but I experienced side effects. I had to take 4 days of probiotics recently and since then my colitis symptoms are back and seem worse (gas, nausea, diarrhea, cramping). Just miserable! I'm going to take another month of Apriso again to see what happens. My life is a roller coaster now and I just wish I could find a daily medicine that will help. I feel so unhealthy now and just want back my health.

Comment from: Living Life, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I had diarrhea for about a year before I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis six months ago. My gastroenterologist put me on EnteraGam which is a powder that I mix into Gatorade. If I take that religiously every day, I have normal bowel movements. I do still have occasional churning in my colon but it is not painful.

Comment from: maryk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had diarrhea and pain three years ago and stomach pain that went on. I was diagnosed through a colonoscopy with microscopic colitis. I was put on Entocort 3 times a day for one month, then 2 times, then once, for three months. I was symptom free for three years. After eating a raw steak it started again but not as severe. Another colonoscopy showed colitis but less severe so I am repeating the same treatment. After 10 days, I feel normal. I am going to watch my symptoms and hopefully if it reoccurs, I do this three month treatment every few years to keep it under control. I don't eliminate any foods and generally very healthy otherwise.

Comment from: mia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I was diagnosed with collagenous colitis 15 years ago. I refused steroids, and mostly mitigated the chronic diarrhea with a gluten free diet. The diarrhea never disappeared, but the pains and gas were somewhat better (somewhat). Then I tried sulfasalazine but had severe stomach pain with it. Now, 15 years later I tried the Pepto-Bismol routine (8 tabs divided up to 4 times a day for 8 weeks). Well, it's working! I'm at week 8 now and about to go off, but I have had normal bowel movements for 2 months now; it's been so wonderful! I hope the effects last after discontinuing the Pepto-Bismol.

Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?