Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: phmmfg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis 1 1/2 years ago, in December 2013, after a couple of years of occasional watery diarrhea and then a solid month of watery diarrhea that didn't respond to Lomotil, Pepto-Bismol, or any of the usual medications. It took a biopsy of my colon to confirm the diagnosis. I was on sertraline for many years, so I suspect that was the cause. Budesonide (Entocort) works great for me, but yes, it is expensive and I worry about the long term side effects of chronic steroid therapy. My bone density actually improved after my diagnosis because it kick started me into being more active and taking better care of myself. I avoid gluten and lactose just because it seems to aggravate cramping, even though I didn't test positive for gluten intolerance. Yes, it is awful to have this disease, but it is manageable and isn't fatal, so I try to stay positive.

Comment from: Martha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

In 2008 I took clindamycin for a sinus infection and after the last pill I started having severe diarrhea. Prior to that I never had any digestion/gastro issues whatsoever. I ate everything with no problems. Years of testing, medication, no eating, watching everything I put in my mouth, they finally diagnosed me with microscopic colitis in December 2014. I tried one month of Apriso, it helped but I experienced side effects. I had to take 4 days of probiotics recently and since then my colitis symptoms are back and seem worse (gas, nausea, diarrhea, cramping). Just miserable! I'm going to take another month of Apriso again to see what happens. My life is a roller coaster now and I just wish I could find a daily medicine that will help. I feel so unhealthy now and just want back my health.

Comment from: Living Life, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I had diarrhea for about a year before I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis six months ago. My gastroenterologist put me on EnteraGam which is a powder that I mix into Gatorade. If I take that religiously every day, I have normal bowel movements. I do still have occasional churning in my colon but it is not painful.

Comment from: maryk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had diarrhea and pain three years ago and stomach pain that went on. I was diagnosed through a colonoscopy with microscopic colitis. I was put on Entocort 3 times a day for one month, then 2 times, then once, for three months. I was symptom free for three years. After eating a raw steak it started again but not as severe. Another colonoscopy showed colitis but less severe so I am repeating the same treatment. After 10 days, I feel normal. I am going to watch my symptoms and hopefully if it reoccurs, I do this three month treatment every few years to keep it under control. I don't eliminate any foods and generally very healthy otherwise.

Comment from: mia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I was diagnosed with collagenous colitis 15 years ago. I refused steroids, and mostly mitigated the chronic diarrhea with a gluten free diet. The diarrhea never disappeared, but the pains and gas were somewhat better (somewhat). Then I tried sulfasalazine but had severe stomach pain with it. Now, 15 years later I tried the Pepto-Bismol routine (8 tabs divided up to 4 times a day for 8 weeks). Well, it's working! I'm at week 8 now and about to go off, but I have had normal bowel movements for 2 months now; it's been so wonderful! I hope the effects last after discontinuing the Pepto-Bismol.

Comment from: gmanaustin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I was diagnosed with collagenous colitis 2 years ago. I was able to control it mostly by taking budesonide. As soon as I stopped taking the medication, my symptoms would reappear. About 2 months ago, I decided to stop eating bread (mostly Oroweat Oatnut). I was eating sandwiches for lunch 4 to 5 times a week. Lo and behold, my symptoms have disappeared, not to mention some fat around my middle. I was tested for gluten intolerance in the diagnosis phase and it came back negative. So, I'm perplexed with this development but also very pleased.

Comment from: jinx, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 26

I was diagnosed after colonoscopy and biopsies, with lymphocytic colitis (LC) 14 months ago after sudden onset of symptoms. Initially I was on Entocort but side effects were severe; headache, stomachache, and extreme fatigue. I changed to Asacol, and pretty much the same side effects. After 9 months of trying to find correct dosage I began to see a doctor of naturopathy. She put me on a dairy free, citrus free, and low acid diet. All of these things reduce inflammation in the body. Things improved immediately. Now after 6 months, I am drug free, managing the LC with diet and supplements. Energy has returned but is still not what it used to be. I have no headaches, stomachache, cramping, gas (which was excessive), constipation or watery stools. I feel very lucky. I know that a flare up is likely and I may need the drugs for a short while but for now life is good again.

Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?