Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I've been diagnosed with microscopic colitis (15 years ago). I have no medication as of now, as loperamide bunged me up throughout the day but kept me awake all night. I'm constantly on the toilet at least 10 or 15 times a day still, and I may as well say I have watery stools. I'm used to it and I live with it unless I'm on holiday, etc. I mentioned an allergy test but the doctor said I am allergic to almost most foods, hence my colitis. The only thing that has worked is steroids on a temporary basis.

Comment from: Barbara, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I was diagnosed as having microscopic colitis through a colonoscopy after months of diarrhea. I ruled out various foods (including dairy) but nothing worked. I've found that what does work for me is Metamucil. It's not just for constipation. It actually forms the stool and has eliminated diarrhea. I am now regular and normal without previous symptoms.

Comment from: Sunonme2day, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I give myself B 12 injections once a week and take probiotic VSL 3 daily. I have been sick with lymphocytic colitis for 3 years and almost feel normal again. Stress seems to bring on my condition more so than food. I do what I can to avoid stressful people and events.

Comment from: Dazie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 28

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis about four years ago. I had constant diarrhea, and for many years before that on and off diarrhea that I blamed on IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). I had a colonoscopy and was told that I have microscopic colitis. I have been on a gluten free diet which has stopped the diarrhea, just once in a while I will have a problem. At that point I will use Pepto-Bismol which seems to help.

Comment from: Gin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had food poisoning followed by 10 weeks of diarrhea, and then pancreatitis which landed me in the hospital where they did a colonoscopy with biopsies. I was positive for lymphocytic colitis. I was sent home with pancreatic enzymes, loperamide, and probiotics. Diarrhea was somewhat controlled but my guts were in turmoil until I swallowed a big gulp of olive oil. I kept taking 3 or 4 tablespoons a day and after 4 days stopped the loperamide and things and I have been fine for a week now. Coincidence!

Comment from: bells, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I was recently diagnosed with microscopic colitis. I did a lot of reading and learned that gluten is often the catalyst behind the diarrhea. So I totally went gluten-free, as well as almost dairy free. Within 2 or 3 weeks the diarrhea ended, and I am feeling just about normal. I had lost about 25 lb. in 2 months with the diarrhea and now my weight is remaining stable. I don't eat any junk food, and never did, and didn't eat desserts or sweets so I really don't know how I ended up with microscopic colitis. At least it can be treated by diet, and not medicine.

Comment from: Miss P, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

Five years ago I started having explosive watery diarrhea after everything I ate. I did not go to the doctor for 2 years. I'm a runner so this definitely hindered my hobby somewhat. I had a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with microscopic colitis. I wondered if this is the diagnosis used when they can't figure out what is actually wrong. I tried all the medicines and the only thing that made a difference was prednisone. However, I will never be on that horrible drug again. I am wondering what this is doing to my body. I have not lost or gained any weight. My hair is dry and brittle and often breaks and falls out. I do not know if this is a side effect or possibly hormonal now that I am in the menopause years. Although I have a good doctor probably the best in my large city, I am trying to get in with another gastroenterologist at a local university. I am hoping he doesn't want his own colonoscopy to look at. Yuck! That is something else I never want to do again.

Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?