Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?

Comment from: Groovyartgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I was diagnosed 8 years ago and had chronic diarrhea for 5 years. I changed my diet, did Entocort but only had moderate relief. I started taking bentonite clay with some herbal fungicides and have been healing for the past 3 years with minimal episodes. I drank up to 8 cups a day at times, but it really worked!

Comment from: Lorraine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have lymphocytic colitis newly diagnosed. I was on Delzicol for a year for ulcerative colitis. After two months of diarrhea and losing 21 pounds I was put on budesonide EC 3 mg 3 once a day.

Comment from: donna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I just recently was diagnosed with microscopic colitis. I have had bouts of explosive diarrhea for 20 years or more and have been told years ago that it was IBS or diverticulitis, or many other things. I always had to know where the closest bathroom was, or be able to pull off the road. Since the colonoscopy everything has been normal. I just hope it stays that way. So I can't see how the colonoscopy could of started it. It helped me.... Good luck!!

Comment from: Louise, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have used Entocort, and have tried Imodium for lymphocytic colitis. They help but how long should one use these medicines! I do not have pain or cramping, just uncontrollable diarrhea for months. Then it goes away sometimes for a year or more, then flares up again.

Comment from: Ginny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis in 2007, after being diagnosed with chronic diarrhea. I finally had a biopsy of my colon lining. The treatment ordered was Pepto Bismol 4 times a day, and after 6 months of only liquid bowel movements I finally stopped losing weight and I had my first solid stools. It flares up intermittently and the Pepto Bismol usually stopped it in a day or two, but stress in my life exacerbates it, and Pepto Bismol has ceased to work any more.

Comment from: psalms18, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Hi just thought I would give my two cents on this topic. I have MC both with LC first then CC/LC. I tried the asacol, butrine, and the pepto tablets. The asacol made me so sick so quit, Butrine worked until I quit taking it, pepto worked for a while then my body just ignored it. Prednisone was the wonder drug but not a good thing to stay on. So started up after I quit steroids. I have had this going on 16 years. Mine is the liquid type, I have found quite a bit of relief with a gluten free diet and no milk (lactose) cheese ok and yogurt no. I did the probiotics before they were the new thing and it was just ok. Imodium doesn't work and I can take up to 5 or so and nothing but helps with the cramps. But I do notice that when I am not eating gluten I do not get the intense cramping. Yes I still have watery stools. I take easily digested vitamins and make sure I keep hydrated. Yes, I still get easily fatigued but learn to pace myself or be exhausted and I do mean EXHAUSTED. Hope this helps.

Comment from: roundman, 55-64 Female Published: December 01

Have microscopic (collagenous) colitis for a year and have had two bouts of pancreatitis 3 months apart which I am blaming meds for the colitis. Asacol and colozal. Asacol is what I was on for the 1st time and colozal only took 2 days of taking for the pancreatitis to happen. It is a flu-like aching, can't sleep well because of aches...if you experience this GO TO your doctor and get tested. I had a 4 day hospital day the 1st time and a 5 day stay 2nd time. I have also tried Entocort and it was great but came back after I stopped it (plus cost $1500/mo) Now on Lialda and am worried because it is similar to Asacol so am nervous about pancreatitis but maybe I got lucky. Still pretty expensive but not like Entocort (general Busenide is $1100/mo). This really sucks and so far no meds have really helped or slowed down colitis. If anyone gets lucky on something let us know. Also my Dr says cures for Crohns or IBS will not work because is totally different colitis.

Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?