Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?

Comment from: Firstaidangael, Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis in 2004. I have taken every known medicine with a lot of cost and no relief this way. What I have found that controls my symptoms is no processed foods, no gluten (sensitivity will not show on a test only intolerance), and stress is a huge factor. What I was told might have been my root cause was when I was 16 years old I had water poisoning that made me very ill. I am currently looking into Chinese acupuncture (western does not follow the same practices) to help with fatigue.

Comment from: Chained to bedpan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

At age 50, after 30 plus years of reporting diarrhea and bouts of extreme weakness and fainting, to doctors, one did a simple blood test. Then I had a colonoscopy to confirm celiac sprue. Small intestine all but eaten away by own immune system, villi gone, flat land. Eating, but starving. I was also diagnosed with collagenous colitis, sometimes associated with celiac. Five years of gluten free diet has improved nutritional uptake. Colitis has stolen my life. Analogy: use a small balloon, fill 1/3 with soda (Coke or Pepsi will do), now shake vigorously, hold the opening down and try to let the ever increasing pressurized gas out without making a terrible mess. Attacks are frequent, 10 to 30 plus times/24hrs. Sleep is interrupted every 1 to 4 hrs. Avoid fibrous foods, they promote gas production. Entocort has improved things approximately 10 to 15%. It has cut down on the mucus, associated with the cramping. It is hard to remain positive when sleep deprived. Wearing a bag is an option, but I'm not ready for that yet.

Comment from: Pike patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

One month ago, through biopsies taken from colonoscopy I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis. My gastroenterologist guaranteed me that the steroid Uceris once a day for three months would cure this disease. I hope he's right. It has been one month. I have had such terrible pain frontal pain where ovaries would be (I have none.) and lower back. I've heard from some including my primary doctor that a gluten free diet would also help. I have no more diarrhea, on the contrary I am mostly constipated, and perhaps this is what is causing the pain.

Comment from: Randall, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

After 4 years of problems, I got a diagnosis of microscopic colitis. They prescribed budesonide and after 4 months the benefits are still there. I had a bonus, in that it made my severe arthritis and spinal stenosis almost disappear. My concerns are how long I will be able to take it. I am now buying through Canada due to the high price here in the States and though still expensive, it has given me my life back and worth it.

Comment from: Sunonme2day, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I have been sick since 2014. I was with a gastroenterologist who ran every test and found nothing. I had diarrhea constantly, nausea, fatigue and aching joints. He never suggested anything, wrote me a prescription and sent me on my way. I made a visit to a surgeon, my gall bladder was dead and I had multiple bands of fat wrapped around my intestines, so tight closing up. I have since found a new doctor and he has been a blessing. He has run tests with biopsy and I have lymphocytic colitis. Just remember everyone is different, you might need to try several medications before one is right for you. Another note, I never lost weight due to this condition because my diet was crackers, potatoes, cheeses and peanut butter. I had to work and this would help me during my work day. If you are seeing a doctor who seems to dismiss you and your symptoms please find another one. I also was suffering from depression due to my life changing illness. I am taking VSL3 with Lialda and trying to start walking and regain my strength. Wishes of wellness to each of you.

Microscopic Colitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?