Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?

Comment from: Tlj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis 14 years ago. Always thought I had irritable bowel for several years before that, but my gastroenterologist said they are two different things. I originally did the Pepto-Bismol tablets, 2 tablets 4 times a day. It seemed to work. I have steadily gotten worse with each flare up. I have done Xifaxan twice, not much help. I took budesonide in 2013, but after a couple months started getting blood patches on my arms. Doctor said that was from this steroid. It got better a few months after stopping. I too have done Align, with some good effect for a while. I then used cholestyramine, 1/2 packet twice a day, but this is just a Band-Aid, and causes constipation and gas for which I take gas pills and Bentyl, which eases the pain. Sometimes Imodium helps, but then when I do go, it is explosive and very smelly. I tried Saccharomyces boulardii (brewer's yeast) pills, and they helped for a month or two, then it came back. I have been successful with gluten free lately, but I have suddenly gotten bad again. I am going back to Pepto-Bismol tablets for now, because I am going out of town in a couple weeks and would like to have a calmer stomach. Apparently this is my life, always changing things around, and living with this. I also started zeolite (Esdifan) which is showing some promise. I posted just to give some things for others to try, maybe they will be successful.

Comment from: Firstaidangael, Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis in 2004. I have taken every known medicine with a lot of cost and no relief this way. What I have found that controls my symptoms is no processed foods, no gluten (sensitivity will not show on a test only intolerance), and stress is a huge factor. What I was told might have been my root cause was when I was 16 years old I had water poisoning that made me very ill. I am currently looking into Chinese acupuncture (western does not follow the same practices) to help with fatigue.

Comment from: Chained to bedpan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

At age 50, after 30 plus years of reporting diarrhea and bouts of extreme weakness and fainting, to doctors, one did a simple blood test. Then I had a colonoscopy to confirm celiac sprue. Small intestine all but eaten away by own immune system, villi gone, flat land. Eating, but starving. I was also diagnosed with collagenous colitis, sometimes associated with celiac. Five years of gluten free diet has improved nutritional uptake. Colitis has stolen my life. Analogy: use a small balloon, fill 1/3 with soda (Coke or Pepsi will do), now shake vigorously, hold the opening down and try to let the ever increasing pressurized gas out without making a terrible mess. Attacks are frequent, 10 to 30 plus times/24hrs. Sleep is interrupted every 1 to 4 hrs. Avoid fibrous foods, they promote gas production. Entocort has improved things approximately 10 to 15%. It has cut down on the mucus, associated with the cramping. It is hard to remain positive when sleep deprived. Wearing a bag is an option, but I'm not ready for that yet.

Comment from: Pike patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

One month ago, through biopsies taken from colonoscopy I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis. My gastroenterologist guaranteed me that the steroid Uceris once a day for three months would cure this disease. I hope he's right. It has been one month. I have had such terrible pain frontal pain where ovaries would be (I have none.) and lower back. I've heard from some including my primary doctor that a gluten free diet would also help. I have no more diarrhea, on the contrary I am mostly constipated, and perhaps this is what is causing the pain.

Microscopic Colitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?