Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?

Comment from: bookreader, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I've had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) for over 30 years. When I reflect back I had CC for perhaps 10 years before I was diagnosed. I finally went to my gastroenterologist when the diarrhea was beyond the count. I took over 8 Lomotil in 2 hours, plus Imodium, Pepto-Bismol, Citracal and I had Bentyl, (on vacation out of the country) so I took that. Diarrhea for 8 hours straight and at 6AM I finally took a sleeping pill and let it be. On my return I made an appointment and told the doctor all that had occurred. In addition, I was incontinent at night 1 to 3 times a night at times most nights. My doctor immediately pulled the biopsy slides from last colonoscopy. He called me 2 days later with diagnosis of collagenous colitis. He put me on Asacol 2 to 3 times a day; I had a reaction to Asacol, a low grade temp. The doctor took me off it for 2 weeks and decreased the dose. I returned to the doctor in 1 month and still with diarrhea. I had ordered codeine on top of all OTC & Lomotil. Codeine did help. The doctor put me on Entocort 3mg tablets 3, 9mg once a day. I think I responded in about 6 weeks; I became constipated and he cut the dose to 2 a day, eventually titrated off because of my constipation.

Comment from: Jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis in 2010. I had chronic diarrhea for 4 months and ended up getting dehydrated and was put in the hospital for five days. My symptoms were chronic diarrhea, fatigue, abdominal pain and cramping.

Comment from: mckone2dallas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I and 4 other people I know with this auto immune disease have very bad cramping, very similar to being induced with Pitocin for having a baby. Mine are horrible, like I have been kicked with a steel toed shoe. I feel weak like I'm going to fall down while at work, I grit my teeth and hold on to something just to stay standing up! Add in running to the bathroom 15 times in 2 hours every day! Everything causes more pain.

Comment from: cookierob, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I had diarrhea for 6 weeks and by the time I got a GI dr. appt it was 9 weeks. The PA took a thorough history and set up a colonoscopy. He predicted it was microscopic colitis and he was right. I'm being treated with budesonide {a steroid} 2weeks of 3mg, 3 capsules a day, then 2 capsules for 2 weeks and finally 1 capsule a day for 2 weeks. I'm at this stage it's much better now. But still loose mostly. I take immodium when I have a long drive or plans.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I just got diagnosed with collagenous colitis. I had 3 months of bad diarrhea, no blood. Nothing helped the diarrhea. Got my colonscopy. Turns out I had the protozoa-Entamoeba histolytica! My doctors think this is what caused the colitis and I'm in my first week on 2nd antibiotic. I wonder how many folks actually have this and just don't know. You have to get a good sample of the tissue to actually catch these critters. I believe the walls of my colon building up the collagen is what kept the bug from getting thru into my bloodstream and forward to liver/brain, etc. I hope this helps those that way still can't find the problem. I'm not out of the woods yet as the diarrhea hasn't let up much (but some). I will give extra care to my colon as I have done for long time, but who'd have "thunk" I'd get a parasite.

Comment from: Iolanthe4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had terrible watery diarrhea, nausea, cramps, bloating, and did not feel well at all.

Microscopic Colitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?