Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?

Comment from: milori, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I was just diagnosed via biopsies from a colonoscopy with collagenous colitis after 4 months of increasingly explosive watery diarrhea. I had pain and cramping and had to stay near a bathroom at all times. I couldn't take it anymore and finally saw my primary doctor, who did specimen tests which came out negative, and prescribed Imodium and then Lomotil, both of which were ineffective. She referred me to a gastroenterologist, who performed the colonoscopy, made the diagnosis and put me on budesonide. I have been on the budesonide for a little over a week, and the symptoms have pretty much normalized. This is a 12 week regimen and I am nervous that the symptoms will return once I go off of it, but trying to keep a positive outlook that the regimen will take care of the problem. I am so grateful that there was a medication that could bring the miserable symptoms under control.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and microscopic colitis. It started 3 years ago. I lost 35 lb. It took a year to gain weight back. I got sick again about a year ago and lost 35 lb. again. I have gained about 8 lb. in 6 months. I am 5 ft. 6 and weighed 98 lb. I had lots of pain. Now I am diabetic from all the steroids. It is almost impossible to gain weight when you are on a diabetic diet and colitis diet at same time. When I am under stress colitis gets worse. Stress plays a big part of starting colitis into action. If I do not gain more weight within 2 to 3 weeks I have to go into hospital again. My doctor says I cannot continue at this weight. He said I have nothing left to fight off anything because I am so skinny. People I know say you need to eat you are too skinny. I am so tired of hearing this. I just reply I am sick I try to eat but pain and going to the bathroom 15 times a day makes it impossible. Some people act like I want to look like this. I do not even like to look in the mirror. It is not pretty when you can see every bone in your body. I have found out dairy, fiber, fresh fruits, fresh vegetables and sweets are not agreeable to me at all.

Comment from: bookreader, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I've had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) for over 30 years. When I reflect back I had CC for perhaps 10 years before I was diagnosed. I finally went to my gastroenterologist when the diarrhea was beyond the count. I took over 8 Lomotil in 2 hours, plus Imodium, Pepto-Bismol, Citracal and I had Bentyl, (on vacation out of the country) so I took that. Diarrhea for 8 hours straight and at 6AM I finally took a sleeping pill and let it be. On my return I made an appointment and told the doctor all that had occurred. In addition, I was incontinent at night 1 to 3 times a night at times most nights. My doctor immediately pulled the biopsy slides from last colonoscopy. He called me 2 days later with diagnosis of collagenous colitis. He put me on Asacol 2 to 3 times a day; I had a reaction to Asacol, a low grade temp. The doctor took me off it for 2 weeks and decreased the dose. I returned to the doctor in 1 month and still with diarrhea. I had ordered codeine on top of all OTC & Lomotil. Codeine did help. The doctor put me on Entocort 3mg tablets 3, 9mg once a day. I think I responded in about 6 weeks; I became constipated and he cut the dose to 2 a day, eventually titrated off because of my constipation.

Comment from: Jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis in 2010. I had chronic diarrhea for 4 months and ended up getting dehydrated and was put in the hospital for five days. My symptoms were chronic diarrhea, fatigue, abdominal pain and cramping.

Comment from: mckone2dallas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I and 4 other people I know with this auto immune disease have very bad cramping, very similar to being induced with Pitocin for having a baby. Mine are horrible, like I have been kicked with a steel toed shoe. I feel weak like I'm going to fall down while at work, I grit my teeth and hold on to something just to stay standing up! Add in running to the bathroom 15 times in 2 hours every day! Everything causes more pain.

Microscopic Colitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?