Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?

Comment from: cookierob, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I had diarrhea for 6 weeks and by the time I got a GI dr. appt it was 9 weeks. The PA took a thorough history and set up a colonoscopy. He predicted it was microscopic colitis and he was right. I'm being treated with budesonide {a steroid} 2weeks of 3mg, 3 capsules a day, then 2 capsules for 2 weeks and finally 1 capsule a day for 2 weeks. I'm at this stage it's much better now. But still loose mostly. I take immodium when I have a long drive or plans.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I just got diagnosed with collagenous colitis. I had 3 months of bad diarrhea, no blood. Nothing helped the diarrhea. Got my colonscopy. Turns out I had the protozoa-Entamoeba histolytica! My doctors think this is what caused the colitis and I'm in my first week on 2nd antibiotic. I wonder how many folks actually have this and just don't know. You have to get a good sample of the tissue to actually catch these critters. I believe the walls of my colon building up the collagen is what kept the bug from getting thru into my bloodstream and forward to liver/brain, etc. I hope this helps those that way still can't find the problem. I'm not out of the woods yet as the diarrhea hasn't let up much (but some). I will give extra care to my colon as I have done for long time, but who'd have "thunk" I'd get a parasite.

Comment from: Iolanthe4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had terrible watery diarrhea, nausea, cramps, bloating, and did not feel well at all.

Microscopic Colitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?
Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?