Patient Comments: Lymphedema - Experience

Please share your experience with lymphedema.

Comment from: Jo jo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

After colon surgery I noticed my legs swelling above the knee but doctors dismissed it and said I was imagining it. I went to several others when a vascular surgeon determined after nuclear medicine tests that it was lymphedema. My legs are painful and I fall and unbalance constantly. But the surgeon says it is caused by my heart, the cardiologist says its lymphedema, nothing to do with my heart, and they have no idea where it came from. The treatments are useless and the swelling is getting worse.

Comment from: Lillian W., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I have lymphedema in both legs, have had it several years now. Both legs awe swollen, with blisters and redness, my skin feels like an alligator's. Parts of my legs are numb, and at times a blister will burst and get infected. I can't wear shoes, my feet swell so badly. I have done the wraps, the boots, the stockings, everything medical known to be done. I walk with a walker in my home and use a chair when I go out. I hope I have helped someone.

Comment from: nancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I had right breast cancer in 2010. I had little trouble with lymphedema until last third of 2015. I had 12 cancerous glands removed. Yesterday I spiked a temperature of 103.4. I had the most miserable night, excruciating pain, burning, swelling and heat. Swelling was 5 inch large in upper arm and 3 inch large in forearm. The doctor put me on Cipro and it is getting better. I should have gone to the emergency room but was too incoherent! It's hard when you live alone.

Comment from: Luika, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I really don't know when the lymphedema started. I diagnosed myself when I read an article. I researched, saw a picture of lymphedema and it was so eerie to be looking at my legs. I have worn black pants for years and can't wear shorts. People stare at my fat and jiggly legs. My husband can't touch my legs because they hurt to be touched. It is so embarrassing to look, so masculine with such huge legs. I made an appointment to see my doctor to begin treatment today.

Comment from: Jean M., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have chest lymphedema after breast cancer. I wonder if stress affects my condition and if seriously stressed can cause heart and lungs to fail, and therefore death.

Comment from: MINK, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I developed lymphedema after surgery to remove a lump in my right arm. I continue to have issues but the sleeve I was fitted for by a specialist works. It has been 10 years since the surgery, and the swelling and pain still get so bad that I cry.

Comment from: donna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had a Medtronic morphine pump removed and was left with lymphedema.

Lymphedema - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for lymphedema?
Lymphedema - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with your lymphedema.
Lymphedema - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of lymphedema.