Patient Comments: Lymphedema - Symptoms

Describe the symptoms associated with your lymphedema.

Comment from: Gwen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

For over 11 years I have suffered from extensive leg swelling from the shin area to my ankles. It's usually associated with a temperature on the affected area, a gland usually develops in between my thighs, and the entire leg especially near the ankles are discolored. The entire leg from my shin to ankles aren't only swollen but painful at times also. I was hospitalized for developing ague along with high fever locally. I've been tested and cleared for kidney related diseases, poor circulation. Local doctors are yet to aid in curing my condition and it's beyond frustrating to be enduring at this late time in my life.

Comment from: barbara, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have had lymphedema for the past 5 years or more. It started out slow then went to draining really badly. I had them wrapped a few times and now they have stopped but at night I have bad itching and can't sleep due to that. Just at night they get like that and I have the stockings to wear and I'm trying to get used to them because I don't like to go out and have people look at me like I'm weird with my legs this way. I really wish it would go away but I guess not. Mine started after I had knee surgery in 2003.

Comment from: Judith, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I developed lymphedema in the breast and a bit in the upper arm after the post-surgical swelling had gone down. The nurse I spoke with told me "We don't consider it lymphedema if the arm isn't swollen." I Insisted on seeing the doctor the next week when the swelling and pain in the breast was quite bad an NSAIDs were no help. The doctor referred my to a lymphedema therapist, who has helped tremendously, but after radiation the swelling in the upper chest got larger and the opposite arm hurts.

Comment from: CYNTHIA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I started noticing signs at about the onset on my period. I was always told that I was just fat. But my employer won't honor my FMLA so that I can have treatments.

Lymphedema - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for lymphedema?
Lymphedema - Experience Question: Please discuss your experience with lymphedema.
Lymphedema - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of lymphedema.