Patient Comments: Lymphedema - Treatment

What kinds of treatment did you receive for lymphedema?

Comment from: Nnenda C, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I was diagnosed with primary lymphedema in 1990 after I had a knife injury on my left foot; it affected the both legs. I had a corrective surgery on my lymph nodes, the surgery was carried out on both the sides of my legs and on my foot, three surgeries on the right leg and three surgeries on my left leg. After the operation I was advised by the doctor to always raise my legs with a pillow above my body level and that it will help the fluid flow from my foot to my body and it has been working for me. My left leg has stopped swelling I am managing the right leg by raising it up above my body level. I have been managing it for 23 years now.

Comment from: dalcrazy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

My lymphedema is caused by nodes being removed due to breast cancer. I have had it for 13 years and had two bouts of cellulitis. I have had lymphatic drainage every two weeks by a certified lymph drainage person. I also have various sleeves and wraps.

Lymphedema - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with your lymphedema.
Lymphedema - Experience Question: Please discuss your experience with lymphedema.
Lymphedema - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of lymphedema.