Patient Comments: Lyme Disease - Diagnosis

How was your case of lyme disease diagnosed?

Comment from: tini, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had a deer tick on me for two days, but the university that identified it advised me not to get it tested and I did not. I had the prophylactic 200 mg dose one time, and about 4 weeks later developed fatigue, dizziness/vertigo, and twitching eyebrow. The doctor diagnosed benign positional vertigo (BPV). Then three weeks later I had severe vertigo with vomiting for two weeks, then my eyes started twitching, and my face went numb; the doctor's office thought it was an inner ear problem and advised a nasal spray. I had had two negative Lyme tests. I went to an herbalist and that helped with the numbness and I got a really red rash from the herbs. Finally it went to my knees at the third month, and I got the tick DNA tested, positive result, I knew once it was in my knees. I fought my doctor for antibiotics.

Comment from: Shar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I started out with a headache which progressed to a stiff neck and all over achiness. Then I developed a fever of 104. I went to the emergency room (ER), they did a spinal tap and head CT which were both negative. They said it was just some sort of viral infection and would just run its course. I went back to the ER 30 hours later with an even more severe headache, fever and very tired. I heard the same thing, just a viral infection. Saw my primary care physician two days later and that's when the rash appeared on my groin and Lyme disease was diagnosed. Now I'm being treated with 3 weeks of doxycycline. I'm hoping to feel better soon. Never felt this bad in all my life.

Comment from: lymes, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I found a tick on the right side of my stomach almost 2 weeks ago. At first, the bite was small and resembled a mosquito bite. Three days ago, (1.5 weeks after the initial bite) the area had begun to develop a bull's eye rash. I immediately went to the doctor the next day, was given a blood test and am still waiting for the results. In the meantime I was prescribed an antibiotic, 3 pills a day for 2 weeks. This is the second day on the medication. So far I have not had any side effects at all from the tick bite (other than the rash) and no effects from the medication. I have been reading some pretty awful stories on here so I am hoping my symptoms will not begin to go downhill as time passes. I was diagnosed very early on, so I am hopeful I will have a speedy recovery!

Comment from: mjr, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I collapsed in my bedroom and was taken by ambulance to the emergency room (ER). I had bull's eye rash and WBC count was very low. Diagnosed with ehrlichiosis and Lyme disease. I had IV antibiotics followed by 28 days of doxycycline. I was very weak and shaky for 3 months (disability). I had severe knee pain and unable to continue, I retired. It is hard to focus. After almost a year I am still not 100%, no physician want to diagnose; chronic Lyme.

Comment from: nickbarkley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I became violently ill, very high heartbeat, they found mitral valve prolapse. My tongue turned colors as did my fingernails. I could not keep food down, poured sweat day and night lost weight would have died. I got treatment for Lyme disease because I had bull's eye on the left side and red rings all over top of right thigh; 16 years later I am disabled in spite of 9 years treatment.

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

Please know it is contagious. I gave it to my husband; he did not have Lyme until after we were married and they did tests on him!

Comment from: Maguire, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I was sick with aches and pains and a sore on my shoulder. On the third day I felt like I couldn't move and went to the hospital after seeing the circles on my skin, where I was diagnosed with Lyme disease.

Lyme Disease - Treatments Question: How was your Lyme disease treated?
Lyme Disease - Share Your Experience Question: Did you or someone you know have Lyme disease? Please share your experience.
Lyme Disease - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms you experienced with Lyme disease? Did you think it was something else?