Patient Comments: Lyme Disease - Diagnosis

How was your case of lyme disease diagnosed?

Published: July 10

I'm not a patient, but I wanted to express my deep concern over the fact that my cousin, who lives in Greenville, South Carolina, has been very ill for three weeks and was misdiagnosed with "shingles" and then today correctly diagnosed with Lyme disease. Given the time that was lost due to the wrong treatment being administered, his condition has become serious and he will now require the IV treatment to save his life. He was told by his doctor that Lyme Disease is so rare in their region that they didn't know what it was or how to treat it. I don't think that's a valid excuse and all medical professionals should be aware of such diseases whether they're common in their area or not. Their lack of proper training has caused my cousin to become very ill and he may not fully recover.

Published: July 09

I had aches and pains, along with flu-like symptoms. This went on for about a month, and then I found a doughnut shaped, red, raised area, which I was familiar with. I went to the doctor who then put me on amoxicillin. I had remembered removing a very small tick a couple of months previous. Since that time, which was 15 years ago, I have had several neurological problems that have gone on undiagnosed, and now I have some type of arthritis that the doctors can't agree on. I have been told that the Lyme disease has nothing to do with either of these, of which I personally do not agree.

Published: July 03

One and a half weeks after being bitten on the neck by a deer tick, I noticed that the area was becoming very swollen and red. I went to the doctor, and she immediately said it was Lyme disease. Though the rash was not in the bull's eye formation yet, she said that there are no other reasons for that area to be swollen, as allergic reactions to the actual ticks saliva go away within a few days. I did not have any blood tests and immediately started taking an antibiotic twice a day, for 21 days.

Published: June 20

I haven't been feeling well, and I thought it was due to my Bell's palsy. Well, two days ago, my doctor told me that my lab results were in and that I had lyme disease. I've been having headaches, nausea, joint pain, extreme fatigue, terrible mood swings, and at times memory loss. I never had the typical rash or fever and couldn't understand when and for how long I've had it. My doctor said that if her suspicions were correct, that the lyme disease might have caused the Bell's palsy.

Published: June 20

I began to have chills and sweats with severe headache on Wednesday afternoon. This continued into Friday so I went to the Doctor. I explained my symptoms. The Doctor took a blood sample and told me I had a viral infection. She said there was nothing she could prescribe. I suffered for four more days with severe headaches and continued fever. On Tuesday I noticed an itch on my leg. I looked down and noticed a red circle rash. People around me said they thought it was Lyme. I went back to the Doctor and they now tested. They put me on Doxycycline immediately. Two days later the results showed it was Lyme disease.

Published: June 18

I was diagnosed with lyme disease in 2000. I developed a hard, red swollen area behind my knee; couldn't see a tick. The emergency room doctor at first thought it was probably an infected spider bite (although I told them I was in an area known for deer ticks) and gave me some antibiotics. Probably one week later, I had intense fever/chills/night sweats for two days, then I developed a classic bulls-eye around the bite. I think the bulls-eye probably developed two weeks after the bite, but my memory is a little hazy. I went back to the doctor, who took pictures of it, diagnosed it as lyme disease and started me on antibiotics. I took antibiotics for two weeks, which seems to have knocked it out.

Published: June 11

I pulled the tick, and three days later, the bull's eye formed, which I had for four months. I was started on doxycycline for three weeks and was still very sick with migraines, fever, head aches, and fatigue. So then I had two more weeks of antibiotics. I then started to have central nervous system damage, with dilated pupils, word confusion, and trouble reading out loud. Two years and two months late, I still have fevers almost weekly, bad headaches, and word confusion when I flare up. This has been worse than I thought it would be, and as an RN, I thought I had a clue...NOT! I am retired and cannot work, and sometimes cannot function well enough to participate in activities I used to be able to do. I am 60 years old, and believe this will affect me for the rest of my life.

Lyme Disease - Treatments Question: How was your Lyme disease treated?
Lyme Disease - Share Your Experience Question: Did you or someone you know have Lyme disease? Please share your experience.
Lyme Disease - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms you experienced with Lyme disease? Did you think it was something else?