Patient Comments: Lyme Disease - Diagnosis

How was your case of lyme disease diagnosed?

Comment from: Allan C, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I was tested positive for Lyme in the early 90s. I was the 76th person in Pennsylvania recorded by the CDC with blood tested positive Lymes Disease...I treated for a full year with dual antibiotics and a regiment of other drugs..I was fortunate to find a Lyme expert in Hermitage Pa. Dr. Chandra Swaami...Thank you Dr. For saving my life.

Comment from: Woodsman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I lived in New Jersey and spent a lot of time outdoors. I suddenly suffered a persistent headache, fatigue, and severe joint pain (like broken glass in the ball- and-socket joints). A co-worker who had the disease a year earlier told me the symptoms sounded like Lyme disease and asked if I had had a rash. Upon examination, I found the classic bulls-eye rash at the beltline on my back. I went to my doctor, who had been treating a huge surge in Lyme disease cases. He looked at the rash, did a blood test and prescribed antibiotics without waiting for the test results. The symptoms were gone in a few days -- actually well before the test results came back positive. Over the next five years, I contracted the disease three more times, only once with a rash. Once you've had it, the symptoms are unmistakable. It responds very quickly to antibiotics when it is caught early.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I was diagnosed a year and a half ago with Lyme disease after three months of flu-like symptoms and severe knee and foot pain. Finally, after several tests and an expensive MRI, I was diagnosed. I was put on doxycycline and had a severe reaction to that, so then they put me on a different medication. My pain has never gone away for good. I still have bouts of pain and fatigue that last weeks.

Published: July 30

I was ill for more than eight years. I was misdiagnosed and labeled as crazy until my husband became just as sick. We found a doctor through friends, driving three hours one way to see this doctor. This doctor, one of more than 50, finally did the Lyme tests and confirmed that both of us had it. Yet, how long were we sick before symptoms got this bad? I can't say because I can't remember a healthy day.

Published: July 21

I was bit by a tick last Sunday (seven days ago) and decided Wednesday, after a rash had appeared, to go to a walk-in clinic. The physician there said he believed it was just an infection and that antibiotics would clear it up. Today, after four days, the rash has actually gotten worse. I went to an urgent care clinic on the recommendation from my primary care physician. Today, the physician there diagnosed it as Lyme disease and prescribed new medication.

Published: July 16

After a tick bite producing a distinct bull's-eye and repeat prescriptions of doxycycline in April, I continued to feel worse to the point where my legs constantly hurt and I would fall down sometimes. I was treated twice more with doxycycline through August. Then, four months into being told by doctors that nothing was showing up in my repeated blood work, my chiropractor sent me for a lumbar puncture that found Lyme disease. I was admitted and given an IV for 10 days in the hospital. I am healthy now but I have lasting effects of arthritis, asthma and memory issues. I am happy to be alive, frankly.

Published: July 15

My granddaughter came home with what looked like the shape of a human bite mark on her upper right arm, however, she had not been bitten by anyone. The "bite mark" was about two inches long, red at its edges, slightly raised but not tender. She also had redness below both eyes, but she had been swimming and we thought it was from rubbing her eyes due to the chlorine. The next morning, she had numerous (11) red circles on various parts of her body. They were now on her back, hips, legs, both arms and stomach. She did not have any evidence of a bite anywhere within the circles. We went to urgent care and thankfully the doctor knew about Lyme disease, and he immediately put her on Doxycycline. After the first day of treatment her "circles" were barely noticeable.

Lyme Disease - Treatments Question: How was your Lyme disease treated?
Lyme Disease - Share Your Experience Question: Did you or someone you know have Lyme disease? Please share your experience.
Lyme Disease - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms you experienced with Lyme disease? Did you think it was something else?