Patient Comments: Lyme Disease - Treatments

How was your Lyme disease treated?

Comment from: K.C., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

After 2 years of having eye sight problems and going to four different eye doctors, this summer I was bitten by a tick which gave me a bull's eye rash. After being treated with 3 weeks of antibiotics (doxycycline) I realized the vision problems I had had for 2 years had gone away. I went to my eye doctor who found that my eyesight had improved so much my prescription for glasses needed to be less than what I had. This is a prescription I have had for over 6 years. Here is the scary part: a few weeks off the oral doxycycline, my eyesight began to worsen. I called my eye doctor and the doctor said it was her opinion Lyme was in my nervous system. I went to an LLMD (Lyme literate medical doctor) and have been on IV for a month. My eyeglass prescription is too strong for me to wear for distance. Even my reading glasses are too strong a prescription. I just hope that when I go off the IV of antibiotics my sight doesn't retreat to the way it was. So wonderful to be able to see so well again.

Comment from: Mermaid, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I have had recurrent Lyme symptoms for nearly 20 years. Joint pain that resurfaces every 5 years or so but when doxycycline is prescribed, the pain/stiffness ends. What I didn't realize was that Lyme's can cause depression which I battle continually. In September I came down with a severe kidney infection and was put on doxycycline for 3 weeks along with 2 "super" shots as my doctor called them. The shock and "aha!" moment came when my distance vision returned after 10 years of needing glasses! I have been off the antibiotics now for 3 weeks and my distance vision has now "tanked" once again and severe joint pain has reared its ugly head along with burning eye pain and constant headaches.

Comment from: Joy, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 14

I have a child with autism. I found out this week his underlying cause is Lyme. I gave it to him in the uterus. During pregnancy I had Bell's palsy and recovered three weeks after his birth. Before finding out about this diagnosis we did intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) and that kept things in remission. Thank goodness we did that. I am not a doctor but a mother of a child who spent thousands of dollars to get here. The symptoms you get is called PANDAS symptoms and when treated with antibiotics the inflammation and the symptoms go away, but the underlying cause remains, not to mention the damage you do to your gut bacteria leaving you open to the grasp of clostridia and streps that are highly antibiotic resistant. Please look into the chlorine dioxide protocol. The underlying cause is usually a symbiotic relationship between Lyme bacteria, parasites, viruses and metals. Kick all those things out and recover yourself. Please research and educate yourself. I do this in the hope that if I pass on the good it will bring good wishes to my child who we are trying to release from the grasp of Lyme.

Comment from: txrain63, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was diagnosed in July 2012. I did not have any rash that I know of. I was bit by a tick when I was on vacation in Gettysburg, PA. I became very lethargic and my joints, especially my neck was hurting, some flu-like symptoms. My doctor checked EBV, Mono and Lymes. Lymes was positive. Tried 21-days of Doxy. Felt a little better, but then the bottom dropped out. Retested by PCR and positive. I am currently on 30-days of IV Rocephin. I am feeling better, but still have bad days, but from what I've read this is normal. It can take up to 6-months to feel better.

Comment from: lorie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had no rash that I knew of, or any known bite. My symptoms started with back pain, and then progressed to unusual swelling predominantly on the left side of my body. I felt very fatigued daily and sometimes had chills and low-grade fevers. I had ear pain, what I thought was thyroid nodules, eye pain, and facial pain. I thought my thyroid was the issue because I have Hashimoto's disease. Over the course of 2 days, my throat became swollen, veins were bulging on my left side, my head and arms were throbbing. I thought I was having a stroke or heart attack. I went to the acupuncturist and she relieved the pressure, which helped tremendously, but symptoms stilled lagged-like the joint pain, facial issues and incredible head scratching. My scalp feels sore and anything that touches it hurts. I've also lost quite a bit of hair.

Lyme Disease - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of lyme disease diagnosed?
Lyme Disease - Share Your Experience Question: Did you or someone you know have Lyme disease? Please share your experience.
Lyme Disease - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms you experienced with Lyme disease? Did you think it was something else?