Patient Comments: Lyme Disease - Treatments

How was your Lyme disease treated?

Comment from: Joy, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 14

I have a child with autism. I found out this week his underlying cause is Lyme. I gave it to him in the uterus. During pregnancy I had Bell's palsy and recovered three weeks after his birth. Before finding out about this diagnosis we did intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) and that kept things in remission. Thank goodness we did that. I am not a doctor but a mother of a child who spent thousands of dollars to get here. The symptoms you get is called PANDAS symptoms and when treated with antibiotics the inflammation and the symptoms go away, but the underlying cause remains, not to mention the damage you do to your gut bacteria leaving you open to the grasp of clostridia and streps that are highly antibiotic resistant. Please look into the chlorine dioxide protocol. The underlying cause is usually a symbiotic relationship between Lyme bacteria, parasites, viruses and metals. Kick all those things out and recover yourself. Please research and educate yourself. I do this in the hope that if I pass on the good it will bring good wishes to my child who we are trying to release from the grasp of Lyme.

Comment from: txrain63, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was diagnosed in July 2012. I did not have any rash that I know of. I was bit by a tick when I was on vacation in Gettysburg, PA. I became very lethargic and my joints, especially my neck was hurting, some flu-like symptoms. My doctor checked EBV, Mono and Lymes. Lymes was positive. Tried 21-days of Doxy. Felt a little better, but then the bottom dropped out. Retested by PCR and positive. I am currently on 30-days of IV Rocephin. I am feeling better, but still have bad days, but from what I've read this is normal. It can take up to 6-months to feel better.

Comment from: lorie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had no rash that I knew of, or any known bite. My symptoms started with back pain, and then progressed to unusual swelling predominantly on the left side of my body. I felt very fatigued daily and sometimes had chills and low-grade fevers. I had ear pain, what I thought was thyroid nodules, eye pain, and facial pain. I thought my thyroid was the issue because I have Hashimoto's disease. Over the course of 2 days, my throat became swollen, veins were bulging on my left side, my head and arms were throbbing. I thought I was having a stroke or heart attack. I went to the acupuncturist and she relieved the pressure, which helped tremendously, but symptoms stilled lagged-like the joint pain, facial issues and incredible head scratching. My scalp feels sore and anything that touches it hurts. I've also lost quite a bit of hair.

Comment from: jhs7575aol, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I've had lyme disease 3 times over the last 20 years. Thank goodness my doctor in is very lyme disease literate and always caught it quick. The last time it came back it was from a gum infection I didn't even know I had. My nephew got it back from an infected wisdom tooth so I thought I should see a dentist as I was long overdue. I always take antibiotics for any dental work. My doctor has always said most doctors don't treat it aggressively or long enough.

Comment from: SusieRN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I am an RN who had flu-like symptoms since 8/14. I have seen a GI doc, rheumatologist, hematologist, and yesterday saw an infectious disease doc who told me to discontinue antibiotics. My liver enzymes doubled and my hemoglobin dropped 2 points in 2 weeks. I asked my GI doc 1 month ago to do a PCR test, and although he never heard of it he ordered it: I was positive for ehrlichiosis. Thankfully I have a medical background and could correlate lab results and symptoms with different diseases. I am still on the journey to find an MD who knows lyme. Bless all of you in your journey: don't give up!

Comment from: PDXer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

Did not know I had a tick bite until the dinner-plate size bullseye appeared on my back. I felt sick but thought it was the Flu. My doctor called a prescription to a pharmacy (I was on a trip at the time). I got progressively worse and after two days was in a Fetal position and could not walk because of the pain when I stepped. I could barely make it home in the plane because of the pain. I had a Migraine for three weeks (I thought my head would explode) and was in bed for six weeks taking Antibiotics. At one point I had Arrhythmia (inflammation of heart sac) and about 50% of my hair fell out. I have some memory loss, Arthritis, and other inflammatory problems associated with Lyme disease. I do not take walks in the woods, and wear long pants, and long sleeves when outside. Lyme disease changed my life.

Lyme Disease - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of lyme disease diagnosed?
Lyme Disease - Share Your Experience Question: Did you or someone you know have Lyme disease? Please share your experience.
Lyme Disease - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms you experienced with Lyme disease? Did you think it was something else?