Patient Comments: Lyme Disease - Symptoms

What were the symptoms you experienced with Lyme disease? Did you think it was something else?

Comment from: Premila, (Patient) Published: January 07

My symptoms started with lower back pain which progressed to pain on my left side shooting down my leg and left arm, neck and shoulder. As time progressed, I started feeling ill, fatigued, and I thought it was my thyroid. I feel really ill. My arms and legs feel heavy, and I have body pains, joint and muscle pain. Sometimes I wake up in the morning with stiff fingers and arm pain which feels like arthritis. My doctor refuses to test me foe Lyme disease. I had a field control therapy test and the practitioner said I tested positive for Lyme infection. I feel sick all the time and sleepy. I am unable to move much around the house and unable to go to work. Reading your stories gives me some encouragement that maybe there is some hope for me. I feel like I am dying.

Comment from: ScienceGal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I had pains in my swollen fingers on Saturday. Sunday morning I felt my face numb on one side and my knees ached really badly. I felt stiff and sore all over. Monday morning I woke up with a real bad headache. It felt like my brain was swelling and I felt sick to my stomach by afternoon. Monday night I took a warm bath and found a tick in the water. I could barely move my stiff neck. I didn't find a bit location on my body, but kept the tick to show my doctor. Tuesday morning I saw my general physician. She was very reluctant to give me antibiotics until the test came back positive 7 to 10 days later. So the Lyme's disease symptoms came on very fast and strong after contact.

Comment from: Paegan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I already have diabetes, high cholesterol and blood pressure, a heart stent, and hypothyroid, and on medications for all. A sudden attack of vertigo, severe vomiting, a soaking sweat, and inability to hear sent me to the emergency room (ER). No diagnosis was available, vomiting stopped, and vertigo remained, as did 100 percent hearing loss in left ear. I was walking like a drunk, had aches, pains, etc. I went to an ENT. I also had MRI, a brain scan, blood taken five times, steroid shoot in the ear, and ankle braces. I have an appointment with a neurologist soon. General practitioner said let's test for Lyme's, and sure enough it was acute Lyme's disease. I am on antibiotics, but little improvement; still deaf, still hurting, not finished medicines yet. Hoping for healing.

Comment from: missy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I contracted Lyme disease in 2009. My husband and I had been on a camping trip for a week. I got a bite on my foot and it swelled up a little but I thought nothing of it. About 4 days after we got home I felt like I had the flu. About 2 days later I got up one morning and my body was covered with bull eyes, at least 20 but not where I was bit. I called my doctor and was told to keep an eye on them! I panicked and went to urgent care. One look and the doctor asked if I had been bitten by a tick. I never saw a tick but she did the blood work for Lyme which came back positive. She put me on antibiotics even before she got the results. I then went to my primary care because the antibiotics made me sick. He said to stop taking them. Here I am today writing this with severe joint pain, swollen glands, horrible headache, you name it! I am so fatigued all I want to do is sleep. I see my primary care this week.

Comment from: unnoticedbite, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I found a large reddened area on my left inner knee. I saw no hole or bite area. The area swelled and ached. It would swell more overnight than during the day. Thinking it was a spider bite, I waited for the redness to disappear. That took a month or so. I still had knee pain and what seemed like water on the knee. This could be minimized by massaging the area under my knee. I went to see the doctor when pain would wake me up at night. Blood test showed Lyme disease and doxycycline was prescribed for 28 days. After three days I felt better, no pain or swelling.

Lyme Disease - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of lyme disease diagnosed?
Lyme Disease - Treatments Question: How was your Lyme disease treated?
Lyme Disease - Share Your Experience Question: Did you or someone you know have Lyme disease? Please share your experience.