Patient Comments: Lyme Disease - Symptoms

What were the symptoms you experienced with Lyme disease? Did you think it was something else?

Comment from: missy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I contracted Lyme disease in 2009. My husband and I had been on a camping trip for a week. I got a bite on my foot and it swelled up a little but I thought nothing of it. About 4 days after we got home I felt like I had the flu. About 2 days later I got up one morning and my body was covered with bull eyes, at least 20 but not where I was bit. I called my doctor and was told to keep an eye on them! I panicked and went to urgent care. One look and the doctor asked if I had been bitten by a tick. I never saw a tick but she did the blood work for Lyme which came back positive. She put me on antibiotics even before she got the results. I then went to my primary care because the antibiotics made me sick. He said to stop taking them. Here I am today writing this with severe joint pain, swollen glands, horrible headache, you name it! I am so fatigued all I want to do is sleep. I see my primary care this week.

Comment from: unnoticedbite, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I found a large reddened area on my left inner knee. I saw no hole or bite area. The area swelled and ached. It would swell more overnight than during the day. Thinking it was a spider bite, I waited for the redness to disappear. That took a month or so. I still had knee pain and what seemed like water on the knee. This could be minimized by massaging the area under my knee. I went to see the doctor when pain would wake me up at night. Blood test showed Lyme disease and doxycycline was prescribed for 28 days. After three days I felt better, no pain or swelling.

Comment from: Whiyey, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 31

My son was treated for ringworm this past August. Then he had headaches and pain in his right knee. All these occurred at different times. Then the first week of September my son jumped off of a step and seemed okay but later that night he woke up with terrible pain in his hip, so I gave him the junior strength ibuprofen which seemed to take the edge off the pain. Then I called our family doctor first thing in the morning and they sent us out to the hospital where they did X-Rays and a CAT scan, which showed lesions on his tibia and a pouch that formed in the same area. So then they sent us to the orthopedic specialist. The specialist put my son on crutches and then set up an appointment with the crippled children's specialist who saw the same thing the orthopedic specialist saw. So my son was told to be on crutches until November 1st. About a week later my son woke up with a little pain in his right knee and by the time he came home from school he could barely even walk with the crutches and his knee was the size of a grapefruit and kept giving out on him. So I had our family doctor look at his knee and right away they made me take my son out to the hospital to the orthopedic specialist and no one could figure out at first how such a small jump could injure him like that. Even heating pad, Ace Bandage and propping his leg up did not bring the swelling down. About an hour later the doctor came in and said we are 98% sure your son has Lyme disease. So then they asked the questions if there were any rashes and as I started telling them about the ringworm the conversation went on about his fevers and body pains. So they took a couple of tubes of blood and yesterday they called us and said my son is positive for Lyme disease. So the doctors are starting his treatment with amoxicillin for 21 days in hopes this will be the only treatment he needs. I never ever would have thought it was Lyme disease.

Comment from: Fuzzy Thinker, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Dizziness was my first symptom of Lyme disease, along with fatigue. I was a busy person working full time and raising 2 boys and thought I was tired because I didn't sleep much because I was always running here and there for my family, job, etc. In September 2012 I stood up and was so dizzy I sat right back down. I went to my primary care physician and she thought I had an inner ear problem and set me to an ear, nose and throat specialist. He gave me some exercises to do, but it only made me feel worse. I went to my eye doctor because I was experiencing headaches (some migraines) and fuzzy thinking. He sent me to an eye surgeon and no one could find anything wrong with me. I thought I must be going crazy. The symptoms always seemed to be worse when I was tired or stressed. In December that year I was tested for Lyme's and was given an MRI to see if I had a brain tumor. I started on antibiotics and then came down with a high fever, chills, aches everywhere and extreme fatigue around Christmas. It was down hill from there. I spent 4 months taking supplements, probiotics, and vitamins, to boost my immune system back up so that I could get on IV antibiotics in April. I'm back to work now, but I still feel tired daily and spend some time napping after work almost daily. I bought a hyperbaric chamber and use it about an hour a day. I'm hoping to someday not have any symptoms at all, but I still suffer from dizziness, fatigue, joint pain, fuzzy thinking, and memory loss. I was diagnosed with Chronic Lyme's Disease and have probably lived with it for over 15 years. I am also diabetic, have low blood pressure, and suffer from migraine headaches and muscle tension. It's no picnic, but it is treatable.

Lyme Disease - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of lyme disease diagnosed?
Lyme Disease - Treatments Question: How was your Lyme disease treated?
Lyme Disease - Share Your Experience Question: Did you or someone you know have Lyme disease? Please share your experience.