Patient Comments: Lyme Disease - Share Your Experience

Did you or someone you know have Lyme disease? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Peter J, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

My case of Lyme disease was not diagnosed for 5 weeks. I saw three different doctors before being sent to hospital where it took another 5 days to diagnose. I had Bell's palsy, was unsteady on my feet, had loss of feeling around my nose and mouth and got extreme fatigue. After four years my only remaining symptoms are slight numbness and the fatigue. The nerve endings have taken a long time to recover.

Comment from: klrva, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I found a tick on the back of my leg about 2 weeks ago and thought nothing of it. It was red in the area but there was no bull's eye rash. Four days later I had severe viral symptoms; headache, fever, body aches, and sore throat. I then woke up to tingling numb fingers and severe hand pain that has increased daily. Today I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome and started on antibiotics for Lyme. The test results are not in yet. My knee is also swollen and there is excess fluid in it. I think the carpal tunnel is a direct reaction to the tick bite.

Comment from: lea, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

My dear brother was bitten by a tick whilst working as a vehicle inspector out west. He suffered chronic fatigue and body paralysis, and it affected his brain. His skin was a greyish color. The tick left a ring and a rash on his thigh. He felt like he was out of his body. He suffered with Lyme disease for 2 years and he aged significantly. The naturopath diagnosed but doctors offered no treatment. He took his life on September 9, 2014 as he couldn't take it anymore. He had played semi-pro golf was a successful insurance broker. The coroner has his blood, we would like it tested.

Comment from: Mya, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was in 6th grade in 2002 when my mom noticed something was wrong. We didn't know it then but my body had been trying to tell me. I was sick for months, it wasn't until both my knees swelled up to the size of soft balls that I was taken to the doctor. One look and some short questions she realized it was water that was collecting there and she said she wanted to test me for Lyme to be sure. It came back positive, and I was given a week of antibiotics, and warned that I might have the symptoms linger for months later. That's when we realized my strange change in my sleeping habits and my constant fatigue was a symptom. It explain why I had gotten a nasal infection, allergy attack, two colds, the stomach flu and the flu in a course of two months when I never get sick. I have developed juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, have focus problems, muscle tics, I slur my words, I'm stiff constantly, and it has all but destroyed my knees. I also have a strange menstrual cycle because of Lyme. I was never bitten by a tick though. We managed to figure out that I had been infected by a mosquito nine months earlier after I had found a strange looking bruise. I never had the bull's eye rash. That was twelve years ago. Last summer my symptoms were getting strangely worse again. I went back to the doctor and was retested. That's when we found out my Lyme's was never cured the first time. Studies today show that a month of a stronger antibiotic was really needed. I am currently late stage 2, early 3, and I'm keeping steady with my symptoms. There isn't much I can do but be careful and make sure nothing gets worse.

Comment from: Bob, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

My wife and I were tested for Lyme disease 3 years ago and both tests came back positive. My symptoms were never as bad as my wife's, but the doctor treated us with doxycycline for 13 months, about $3 each per month! He said that he, his wife and one daughter, also a doctor, has had Lyme. He believes a simple round of doxycycline for 13 months will totally wipe out Lyme! We are both cured as well as his family. Many doctors don't know that a few months of antibiotics simply will not kill Lyme.

Comment from: jackl, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

On a Thursday I had just stacked a cord of wood, ridden 21 miles on my bike and then used my tractor to mow the lawn. I came and all of a sudden was wiped out. I couldn't stay awake. I remember getting off my bike and my Camelback was killing my shoulders. Felt pretty awful Friday and Saturday, woke up Sunday with a large red, very warm welt on my belt line and said I think I know what that is. I got a doctor's appointment on Monday. He laughed and said that is a classic symptom and prescribed 3 weeks of doxycycline. Some people I met while riding told me how the medicines really bothered them. It did not bother me that much, an occasional upset stomach but that was it. Finished the medications 2 days ago and feel fine and still riding. Glad I got the red welt and early attention. Seems to make a big difference. We live right next to a farm in Connecticut so tall grass and ticks are unavoidable. My neighbors at the farm related some scary undiagnosed Lyme stories; epileptic seizures and depression. So far I count myself as a lucky one.

Lyme Disease - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of lyme disease diagnosed?
Lyme Disease - Treatments Question: How was your Lyme disease treated?
Lyme Disease - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms you experienced with Lyme disease? Did you think it was something else?