What other names is Goji known by?
Baies de Goji, Baies de Lycium, Barberry Matrimony Vine, Chinese Boxthorn, Chinese Wolfberry, Di Gu Pi, Digupi, Épine du Christ, Fructus Lychii Chinensis, Fructus Lycii, Fructus Lycii Berry, Fruit de Lycium, Goji, Goji Berry, Goji Chinois, Goji de l'Himalaya, Goji Juice, Gou Qi Zi, Gouqizi, Jus de Goji, Kuko, Lichi, Licium Barbarum, Litchi, Lyciet, Lyciet Commun, Lyciet de Barbarie, Lyciet de Chine, Lycii Berries, Lycii Chinensis, Lycii Fruit, Lycium barbarum, Lycium chinense, Lycium Fruit, Matrimony Vine, Ning Xia Gou Qi, Wolfberry.
What is Goji?
Goji is a native Chinese deciduous shrub with bright red berries. The dried berries and root bark are used to make medicine.
Goji is used for many conditions, but so far, there isn't enough scientific evidence to determine whether or not it is effective for any of them.
Goji is used for diabetes
, high blood pressure
, poor circulation, fever
, and cancer
. It's also used for erectile dysfunction
, ringing in the ears
); and to reduce fever
, irritability, thirst
, nosebleeds, cough
, and wheezing
Some people use goji as an eye tonic for blurred vision
, for macular degeneration
, and for other eye disorders. Goji is also used to strengthen muscles and bone, and as a blood, liver
, and kidney tonic.
In foods, the berries are eaten raw or used in cooking.
The use of goji was first described in the first century AD in Chinese literature. Traditionally, goji has been used to promote longevity. Legend claims that one herbalist who used goji in combination with other tonic herbs lived 252 years.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Dry eyes. Early research suggests that using Hialid eye drops and drinking a specific product (Runmushu Oral Liquid) containing rehmannia root, figwort, lilyturf root, dendrobium stem, goji fruit, chrysanthemum, and sticktight for one month may improve symptoms of dry eyes better than Hialid eye drops alone in older women.
- Quality of life. Some early research shows that drinking goji juice (GoChi, Freelife International LLC) for 14-30 days improves energy levels, athletic performance, sleep quality, sharpness of the mind, calmness, feelings of health and contentment, mood, and bowel regularity. However, other evidence suggests that drinking the same goji juice does not improve short-term memory or eyesight in healthy adults.
- Weight loss. Early research suggests that drinking goji juice (GoChi, Freelife International LLC) for 2 weeks in addition to following a diet and exercise program may decrease waist size in healthy, overweight adults. However, it does not appear to improve weight or body fat.
- High blood pressure.
- Blood circulation problems.
- Sexual problems (impotence).
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus).
- Other conditions.
More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of goji for these uses.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).