Lungs Design And Purpose Index
The lungs are primarily responsible for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between the air we breathe and the blood. Eliminating carbon dioxide from the blood is important, because as it builds up in the blood, headaches, drowsiness, coma, and eventually death may occur. The air we breathe in (inhalation) is warmed, humidified, and cleaned by the nose and the lungs.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Pleurisy, an inflammation of the lining around the lungs, is associated with sharp chest pain upon breathing in. Cough, chest...learn more »
Lung cancer kills more men and women than any other form of cancer. Eight out of 10 lung cancers are due to tobacco smoke. Lung...learn more »
Bronchitis is inflammation of the airways in the lung. Acute bronchitis is is short in duration (10 to 20 days) in comparison...learn more »
Pulmonary fibrosis is scarring throughout the lungs. Pulmonary fibrosis can be caused by many conditions including chronic...learn more »
In This Article
Pulmonary Fibrosis Article
- Pulmonary fibrosis facts
- What is pulmonary fibrosis?
- What causes pulmonary fibrosis?
- What are symptoms of pulmonary fibrosis?
- How is pulmonary fibrosis diagnosed?
- How is pulmonary fibrosis treated?
- What are the complications of pulmonary fibrosis?
- Can pulmonary fibrosis be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for pulmonary fibrosis?
- Where can I get information to improve the quality of life for those with pulmonary fibrosis?
Cough (Chronic Cough)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic rhinitis,...learn more »
In This Article
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Article
- COPD facts
- What is the definition of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)?
- What causes COPD?
- What are the signs and symptoms of COPD?
- What increases your risk for developing COPD?
- What are the four stages of COPD?
- What other diseases or conditions contribute to COPD?
- What kind of doctor treats COPD?
- When to Seek Medical Care for COPD
- How is COPD diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for COPD?
- What lifestyle changes (diet, exercise) and home remedies and care are recommended for people with COPD?
- What medications treat COPD?
- What other supplemental therapies help treat COPD complications and symptoms?
- What surgery is available to treat COPD?
- Can COPD be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for a person with COPD?