Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Treatments

How effective was your lung cancer treatment?

Comment from: Linda, Published: August 29

I was diagnosed with a prolapsed uterus 3 years ago by my gynecologist. At that time, it felt like something was inside me, which led me to go to her. Since then, I noticed that my uterus has dropped and is at the tip of my vagina. My gynecologist told me three years ago to let her know if it became bothersome. I wasn't ready for surgery then. Recently, I started having symptoms of a bladder infection and was informed by my primary care doctor I had blood in my urine. I haven't told him about the prolapsed uterus yet but plan to, after my second urine test returns.

Comment from: Colleen, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 17

I bent down to pick up my 2 year old grandson and felt as though something snapped in my lower back. This is the third time this lumbar spinal stenosis has happened, first time it took 3 months to get better, second 4 months; hope this doesn't take 5 months! It has taken me 20 minutes just to sit in a chair. I am waiting for appointment to see the doctor at hospital. I am taking naproxen and Co-codamol.

Comment from: Abbott, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

The first symptoms of liver disease I experienced was itching. Bile was backing up in my blood. I have autoimmune disease and cirrhosis.

Comment from: RobinE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer in February 2011. It had metastasized to the left femur and tail bone. I went to an urgent care center because I knew I had bronchitis. Treatment did not ease the bronchitis so I returned to UCC. They took a CT scan to look for pneumonia, changed the antibiotics and sent me home. Two weeks later symptoms were worse so I returned. That's when they told me I had cancer and needed to see an oncologist. Thanksgiving and Christmas of 2010 were spent really sick and thinking that was going to be my last. I saw my oncologist end of January 2011 and started chemotherapy the 5th of February. I had to be put on oxygen and was at the point I did not care if I lived or died. I started a trial chemotherapy drug and at the end of the week I was off oxygen and felt so much better. I had 8 rounds of chemotherapy and I am glad to be alive now. The prognosis for small cell lung cancer is not good. I was given 2 weeks without treatment and 3 to 6 months with treatment. I am still here 3 years later and very thankful. I get CT scans every 3 months. Hopefully I will be around to see my 16 year old daughter graduate from college.

Comment from: Linda Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was born in 1951 and had just turned 54. In 2005 I was diagnosed with stage 11b non small cell carcinoma. I had surgery to remove my upper lobe. Then I had chemotherapy. I had allergic reaction to my first chemotherapy treatment which was Taxotere. I got over that and the doctor tried another drug. I was fine but I was very sick and lost 30 pounds though I kept my hair. My doctor decided I should have no more chemotherapy as it was causing more problems like fevers and dehydration. Well, now it is 2013 so it's going on 8 years.

Comment from: MBA, Published: September 21

For stress fracture all the clinic did was to put me in a huge boot as if I had a broken foot, with no pain medicines or icing instructions or cause. Final instruction was to come back in two weeks (and spend a fortune) for an MRI.

Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience Question: What�s your biggest challenge with living with lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: What changes have you had to make to your routine since being diagnosed with lung cancer?