Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Treatments

How effective was your Lung Cancer treatment?

Comment from: RobinE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer in February 2011. It had metastasized to the left femur and tail bone. I went to an urgent care center because I knew I had bronchitis. Treatment did not ease the bronchitis so I returned to UCC. They took a CT scan to look for pneumonia, changed the antibiotics and sent me home. Two weeks later symptoms were worse so I returned. That's when they told me I had cancer and needed to see an oncologist. Thanksgiving and Christmas of 2010 were spent really sick and thinking that was going to be my last. I saw my oncologist end of January 2011 and started chemotherapy the 5th of February. I had to be put on oxygen and was at the point I did not care if I lived or died. I started a trial chemotherapy drug and at the end of the week I was off oxygen and felt so much better. I had 8 rounds of chemotherapy and I am glad to be alive now. The prognosis for small cell lung cancer is not good. I was given 2 weeks without treatment and 3 to 6 months with treatment. I am still here 3 years later and very thankful. I get CT scans every 3 months. Hopefully I will be around to see my 16 year old daughter graduate from college.

Comment from: Linda Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was born in 1951 and had just turned 54. In 2005 I was diagnosed with stage 11b non small cell carcinoma. I had surgery to remove my upper lobe. Then I had chemotherapy. I had allergic reaction to my first chemotherapy treatment which was Taxotere. I got over that and the doctor tried another drug. I was fine but I was very sick and lost 30 pounds though I kept my hair. My doctor decided I should have no more chemotherapy as it was causing more problems like fevers and dehydration. Well, now it is 2013 so it's going on 8 years.

Comment from: Gemmy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My pulmonologist saw a tiny spot on my right lower lobe 3 years ago when I had a CAT scan for an unrelated illness. He said it did not look suspicious but, at the same time, it should not be there. He prescribed CAT scans every 6 months for 3 years. On my final CAT scan in April 2013, the spot had grown and changed shape. He immediately sent me to the surgeon to have it removed (using robotic technology). I had a wedge resection in July 2013. It was Stage I adenocarcinoma with clean margins and no spread to my lymph nodes. The oncologist said I do not need additional treatment, but I will need follow up scans every 6 months for at least 5 years. Early detection saved my life.

Comment from: Newfybear, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I have always had medical problems, but in 1995, the stress I had to endure was too much and my body reacted. First, lupus, Leukemia for my Igg was 4610, fibromygia, neuropathy, and bone marrow biopsies. My Igg went down to the 2000's and low Igm and Iga. I began falling so my neurologist had me have a PET scan which showed I had non cell lung cancer dxed at the end of March. I have two of three lobes with cancer on my right lung. For the person that asked about the protein, yes, I always had high protein. I was tested for the chemo oral pill and because I have some mutant gene, it will not work for me. No radiation except to remove my entire right lung. I said no to that. I do smoke, but I am/was always into art. At 17, after high school, I went right into art school where there was no ventilation when we worked on oils, turps, linseed oils, pastels, etc. At 25, I also re-entered art school in another state also with no ventilation. At the end of March, I was dxed with non-cell lung cancer. There is no cure for me, and I told my children I will try chemo just for them. I start June 1. I will be having chemo for 2-1/2 hours for 3 weeks. I told my children if I get very sick, I am going to stop. I don't even cough. I just want to enjoy my life as it is now. I am 65 years old and live alone. I am also on a holistic orphan drug that is being tested. It seems I'm the only one that likes the test.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I was diagnosed with stage one non-small cell lung cancer in January of 2011. I was operated on in April for a lobectomy of the upper right lobe. I had no follow up chemo therapy because my oncologist said they caught it early enough where they could more than likely get all of the cancer during the surgery as long as it hasn't spread to my lymph nodes. It has not. I will be going for follow up CAT scans and blood work every six months for a couple of years, and should be fine as long there is no reoccurrence.

Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lung cancer.
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have lung cancer? Which lung cancer facts are most surprising to you?