Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Treatments

How effective was your Lung Cancer treatment?

Comment from: Noah Marcum, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I was diagnosed with non-small-cell lung cancer. In October of 2010 after I had a lot of tests and procedures done. I had surgery on February 14 of 2011. I had about half of my bottom right lung removed and also about 9 lymph nodes removed. The Doctors say they got it all cut out. I'm now taking 6 chemotherapy treatments. This is given to me intravenously like an IP throw a Port in my chest; I have taking 3 already and got 3 more to go. They do make me really sick and I've lost most of my body hair. (But Thanks To God And My Great Doctors) I'm going to a Lung Cancer Survivor.

Comment from: grandmagg59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I have stage 3 lung cancer I have been through radiation and chemo it is truly a battle but you have to have faith in God to see you through this. I have met some wonder people along the way which gives me more hope. I done 20 rounds of radiation treatment and 8 rounds of chemo with no problems but now I have had the mass removed they said I needed about 3 rounds of chemo I had my 1st round and it took me down my hair is falling out my body is so weak. I told the doctor I didn't want another round he said he would lower the dose by 10 percent. I hope the 10 percent makes a difference.

Comment from: nafisa, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 15

My father is a stage 3 lung cancer patient. May 20, 2011 is the worst day in my life because his fnac test came back positive. He had peripheral and pericardial effusion. So the doctor refused to give him any chemotherapy or radiotherapy. Now he is taking tarceva 150mg every day. He is ok now. I don't know how many day will god help us to live with him. Please pray for him.

Comment from: Worried55, 75 or over (Caregiver) Published: May 24

My mum is 82 years old and has suspected NSCLC. Diagnosed last Oct 2010 when SOB was present and water in the pleural area. Now water is normal. But CEA has changed from 250 to 500. She does not have much symptoms apart from right should pain occasionally. CT showed a sizable tumor near the bronchial on the right and some showed in the lymph nodes. (2nd CT actually improved, some small dots are gone in the right lode). Not spread to other parts of the body yet. No treatment so far apart from some claimed Indian-made Irressa, as in China people this age no chemo- or radiation therapy. I am overseas and can only phone my sibling there. Will consider to start GB made Irressa soon - although costs a fortune. My siblings in China do not agree to use this as the cost is one reason; also it's not going to be a cure. It can only prolong life or lessen the suffering. Not sure is it the right decision to use GB made Irressa for treatment.

Comment from: Survivor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I was originally diagnosed in February 2007 with Stage II non-small cell. I had upper left lobe and some lymph nodes removed. Followed by 6 rounds of chemo. Recurrence in August 2008 with 4 rounds of chemo, 33 radiation treatments and began a regimen of daily oral chemo with Tarceva which I am still on today. Please don't ever give up hope and I know how very, very hard it is to hear the news, go through the treatment, and discover that cancer may always be a part of your life. Don't give up hope and try and stay positive. I always looked forward to chemo because I knew it was my quiet time, my angels were with me, and I always imagined it healing me. May God bless each and every one of you.

Comment from: jonas, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 26

Lung cancer is really a dangerous disease. After I read this article, I suddenly get affected and remember my father who is smoking. I was just doing a research on my report about this disease and it really helps me. Thanks for this article I will tell my father to quit smoking now and this article was really a great help for my report.

Comment from: Robyn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I was diagnosed September 2009 with non small cell lung cancer, had left lung resectioned November, started chemotherapy December 2009 continued through February 2010, had radiation on chest May and June 2010. Had seizures in September 2010. The cancer moved to my brain and I had 10 radiation treatments, I was told I am terminal but not actually given a time; I am doing pretty well. I smoked for 46years. I was originally diagnosed in June 2009 with rheumatoid arthritis, my doctor said I was too fit and active to be worried about cancer.

Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lung cancer.
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have lung cancer? Which lung cancer facts are most surprising to you?