Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Treatments

How effective was your Lung Cancer treatment?

Comment from: Georgeanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I had a heart attack on Oct. 5. From an X-ray, it showed a mark on my right lung. A CT and PET scan showed it was cancerous. It was only about 2 centimeters in size, but that small thing turned out to be stage III. I had the lower lobe removed and just finished my first round of chemo. I start radiation next week. I'm trying to stay upbeat, but sometimes the fatigue just makes me depressed. The chemo didn't cause any issues with nausea or losing my hair.

Comment from: Cheryl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I am a non-smoker 57 year old female who has been very healthy. Three years ago I started coughing constantly and was told by my doctor that it was acid reflux. I was given medicine but the coughing continued. I was told to lose 10 pounds and it would get better. 14 months ago an X-ray revealed that I had a nodule on my lung. I was sent to a specialist who said it was nothing to worry about as I am not in the high risk category. The radiologist didn't want to take a needle biopsy as he said it would collapse my lung and it didn't look like cancer. Now 14 months later I have been diagnosed with lung cancer. I'm waiting for further tests to see if it has spread. The doctors who dismissed lung cancer because I have never smoked may have handed me a death sentence.

Comment from: tinahen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I was diagnosed with stage 4 NSLC in July 2008 and put on a trial - had chemo (cysplatin and venorobin) daily for three weeks and 30 sessions of radiotherapy at same time - then two more weeks of chemo - it's January 2012 and I'm still here and feeling good - treatment was very hard going - didn't lose my hair! Still get tired sometimes, but also have rheumatoid arthritis which does not help - am going to be 60 this year and intend to party all the way. Cancer is a word not a sentence - think positive.

Comment from: Lsprenkle, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 12

My uncle has had small cell lung cancer for almost five years. He's only 47 years old and his family is watching him slowly die. He is always in pain and the past month he has lost a lot of weight, he only is 111 lbs and he wants to die. My grandpa died February 14, 2011 he had the same thing but he never got any treatment. My uncle's wife won't let him go but he really isn't living life. I see it in his eyes he wants to go and he has made peace with god.

Comment from: grandmagg59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I have stage 3 lung cancer I have been through radiation and chemo it is truly a battle but you have to have faith in God to see you through this. I have met some wonder people along the way which gives me more hope. I done 20 rounds of radiation treatment and 8 rounds of chemo with no problems but now I have had the mass removed they said I needed about 3 rounds of chemo I had my 1st round and it took me down my hair is falling out my body is so weak. I told the doctor I didn't want another round he said he would lower the dose by 10 percent. I hope the 10 percent makes a difference.

Comment from: nafisa, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 15

My father is a stage 3 lung cancer patient. May 20, 2011 is the worst day in my life because his fnac test came back positive. He had peripheral and pericardial effusion. So the doctor refused to give him any chemotherapy or radiotherapy. Now he is taking tarceva 150mg every day. He is ok now. I don't know how many day will god help us to live with him. Please pray for him.

Comment from: Worried55, 75 or over (Caregiver) Published: May 24

My mum is 82 years old and has suspected NSCLC. Diagnosed last Oct 2010 when SOB was present and water in the pleural area. Now water is normal. But CEA has changed from 250 to 500. She does not have much symptoms apart from right should pain occasionally. CT showed a sizable tumor near the bronchial on the right and some showed in the lymph nodes. (2nd CT actually improved, some small dots are gone in the right lode). Not spread to other parts of the body yet. No treatment so far apart from some claimed Indian-made Irressa, as in China people this age no chemo- or radiation therapy. I am overseas and can only phone my sibling there. Will consider to start GB made Irressa soon - although costs a fortune. My siblings in China do not agree to use this as the cost is one reason; also it's not going to be a cure. It can only prolong life or lessen the suffering. Not sure is it the right decision to use GB made Irressa for treatment.

Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lung cancer.
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have lung cancer? Which lung cancer facts are most surprising to you?