Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Treatments

How effective was your Lung Cancer treatment?

Comment from: perfectpeace, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 14

My mom had very painful osteoarthritis in her spine. When the pain increased in her upper back the doctor thought it was the arthritis. After a few tests it was found that she had lung cancer which had spread to the liver and spleen. She was given one dose of chemo and died the next day from the chemo. Chemo left her with almost no white blood cells and she rapidly developed pneumonia and died.

Comment from: wifeofcancer, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 22

My husband diagnosed with Stage IIIA (upper left lung tumor wrapped around pulmonary artery so inoperable)June 2011 (went in thinking had pneumonia as daughter had weeks before ... x-ray made them question about TB, then got CT scan, then lung biopsy), given 6 - 9 months probable life span with no intervention. He began chemo and radiation in July, ended 2 rounds of chemo in Sept and radiation a few weeks later. Tumor was shrinking. Now (6/12) found to be growing again. Time for Chemo round 2 ... still inoperable. Any suggestions? Should we look at a 2nd opinion? P.S. Positive attitude, love, and laughter helps a lot!

Comment from: shocked, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 06

My mother-87 had stage 3 lung cancer. Very healthy except for this. A smoker for 40 years, she had stopped smoking for 5 years prior to finding out she had cancer. She went through chemo and radiation at the same time. Diagnosed in June- died in Oct of the same year. I would not go through what she did seeing that the treatment killed faster than the actual disease.

Comment from: Pat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had lung cancer in 1994, which would be 17 years ago. I had my lower right part of my lung removed, and I had no chemotherapy or radiation. I am 70 years old and in good health.

Comment from: Georgeanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I had a heart attack on Oct. 5. From an X-ray, it showed a mark on my right lung. A CT and PET scan showed it was cancerous. It was only about 2 centimeters in size, but that small thing turned out to be stage III. I had the lower lobe removed and just finished my first round of chemo. I start radiation next week. I'm trying to stay upbeat, but sometimes the fatigue just makes me depressed. The chemo didn't cause any issues with nausea or losing my hair.

Comment from: Cheryl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I am a non-smoker 57 year old female who has been very healthy. Three years ago I started coughing constantly and was told by my doctor that it was acid reflux. I was given medicine but the coughing continued. I was told to lose 10 pounds and it would get better. 14 months ago an X-ray revealed that I had a nodule on my lung. I was sent to a specialist who said it was nothing to worry about as I am not in the high risk category. The radiologist didn't want to take a needle biopsy as he said it would collapse my lung and it didn't look like cancer. Now 14 months later I have been diagnosed with lung cancer. I'm waiting for further tests to see if it has spread. The doctors who dismissed lung cancer because I have never smoked may have handed me a death sentence.

Comment from: tinahen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I was diagnosed with stage 4 NSLC in July 2008 and put on a trial - had chemo (cysplatin and venorobin) daily for three weeks and 30 sessions of radiotherapy at same time - then two more weeks of chemo - it's January 2012 and I'm still here and feeling good - treatment was very hard going - didn't lose my hair! Still get tired sometimes, but also have rheumatoid arthritis which does not help - am going to be 60 this year and intend to party all the way. Cancer is a word not a sentence - think positive.

Comment from: Lsprenkle, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 12

My uncle has had small cell lung cancer for almost five years. He's only 47 years old and his family is watching him slowly die. He is always in pain and the past month he has lost a lot of weight, he only is 111 lbs and he wants to die. My grandpa died February 14, 2011 he had the same thing but he never got any treatment. My uncle's wife won't let him go but he really isn't living life. I see it in his eyes he wants to go and he has made peace with god.

Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lung cancer.
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have lung cancer? Which lung cancer facts are most surprising to you?