Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Treatments

How effective was your Lung Cancer treatment?

Comment from: golfgrip5, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

When I was sent to the medical center the doctor only asked me if I lost consciousness. I told him no, and he dismissed the problem of a concussion. I now have a dizziness and have a problem keeping my balance.

Comment from: Amber, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My husband aged 57 years was diagnosed with NSCLC (non-small cell lung carcinoma) on 22 December 2010. He had a wonderful treatment. He had no symptoms except a lingering cough. After having a chest x-ray he was told he had stage 4B lung cancer, unfortunately he passed away on 12 November 2011.

Comment from: Newfybear, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I have always had medical problems, but in 1995, the stress I had to endure was too much and my body reacted. First, lupus, Leukemia for my Igg was 4610, fibromygia, neuropathy, and bone marrow biopsies. My Igg went down to the 2000's and low Igm and Iga. I began falling so my neurologist had me have a PET scan which showed I had non cell lung cancer dxed at the end of March. I have two of three lobes with cancer on my right lung. For the person that asked about the protein, yes, I always had high protein. I was tested for the chemo oral pill and because I have some mutant gene, it will not work for me. No radiation except to remove my entire right lung. I said no to that. I do smoke, but I am/was always into art. At 17, after high school, I went right into art school where there was no ventilation when we worked on oils, turps, linseed oils, pastels, etc. At 25, I also re-entered art school in another state also with no ventilation. At the end of March, I was dxed with non-cell lung cancer. There is no cure for me, and I told my children I will try chemo just for them. I start June 1. I will be having chemo for 2-1/2 hours for 3 weeks. I told my children if I get very sick, I am going to stop. I don't even cough. I just want to enjoy my life as it is now. I am 65 years old and live alone. I am also on a holistic orphan drug that is being tested. It seems I'm the only one that likes the test.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I was diagnosed with stage one non-small cell lung cancer in January of 2011. I was operated on in April for a lobectomy of the upper right lobe. I had no follow up chemo therapy because my oncologist said they caught it early enough where they could more than likely get all of the cancer during the surgery as long as it hasn't spread to my lymph nodes. It has not. I will be going for follow up CAT scans and blood work every six months for a couple of years, and should be fine as long there is no reoccurrence.

Comment from: annette, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 27

The cancer was already in stage 4 when diagnosed. It was in the lining of the left lung and the lymphnode above the lung. I was given chemo treatments for a period of three months, making me very ill. It could not be removed surgically due to being in the lining of the lung. A scan was done showing it wasn't spreading at this time. Three months later it had spread more. I am finishing 16 weeks treatment now with Avastin and different meds. They seem to be helping more.

Comment from: magicdog39, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I was just told that I have it three days ago. Its not the way to feel but now I feel like a walking talking dead man.

Comment from: bren, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 13

My mother just got the results of her biopsy after several doctor visits. After all the tests, she has been told that she has lung cancer. She was also told that they had seen a spot a year ago but did not think it was anything to worry about. My mother's health has declined in the last year, and now they have found another spot that went from 3 cm to 7 cm in the last two months. The doctors tell us that the type of cancer she has is unusual; it's small cell cancer and large cell cancer. Every visit seems to get more confusing. Even though we ask questions, nobody seems to have answers. Now we are being told that she will need radiation and chemo but they don't think her lungs can take the treatments again. I'm confused.

Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lung cancer.
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have lung cancer? Which lung cancer facts are most surprising to you?