Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lung cancer.

Comment from: karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I went to the doctor because I had no appetite. X-ray showed 2 little spots on top right lobe. Doctor didn't think it was cancer but went in, and had right lobe removed because it was cancer. It was so small, so no chemotherapy or radiation. That was almost 4 1\2 years ago. I am still cancer free far as I know. I don't have many tests run, guess they think it has gone.

Comment from: Ramanamurthy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 01

I was diagnosed with tumor in left lung in 2013. In the first two biopsy reports a negative result came for malignancy. Thereafter in an advanced biopsy report positive result came. Since then I have undergone 6 chemotherapy and 36 radiation sittings which resulted in decrease in size of tumor. However, after 3 months there was an increase of 3 mm in size and also accumulated pleural fluid. This fluid was tapped out and in biopsy result was positive for malignant cells. Again I was advised for 6 chemotherapy treatments, out of which 3rd chemotherapy is scheduled tomorrow. The side effects I could not bear, I prefer to have an end of my life. This is not to discourage any one, but just my feeling.

Comment from: Karykzen, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 03

I had a friend who passed away in 2014 at the age of 42 due to large cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. The tumor was below his heart and had grown into his lungs, predominantly his lower right lung. There were no symptoms until about 4 months before diagnosis, which consisted of wheezing on a deep exhale which was misdiagnosed as bronchitis. Antibiotics were given but didn't clear the issue up. Not soon afterwards, the patient started to experience lack of appetite, rapid weight loss followed by inability to control bowels on occasion. Once hospitalized, initial thought was pneumonia but a PET scan led doctors to test for cancer which was when the patient was diagnosed. He underwent one week of intensive chemotherapy and it was just one and a half days after release from the hospital when he began to vomit up massive amounts of blood. He bled out in less than a minute due to the amount of blood he was vomiting up. He passed out before he expired and emergency medical rescue was unable to provide assistance when they arrived. His parents did not want an autopsy so I can only speculate that the tumor had grown around a major artery/vein and when it was destroyed by the chemotherapy, caused an esophageal varices (as a generic term) which caused him to bleed out.

Comment from: Son of a Survivor, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 02

My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in June 2014. I am a medical student in my 5th year, so I think everyone could imagine how much this was devastating to me especially that I studied the disease, and I know how bad this is, and I'd know when the doctor/my parents would lie to me. My mom had gone through a very hard time for 6 months before she was diagnosed. She left the country and went to USA to receive treatment. The doctors thought they could only buy her time with chemotherapy. She couldn't have surgery because the cancer already had gone to her shoulder bone, and her lung fluid was filled with cancer cells, but none of us knew her prognosis by then, not even her. I never saw a stronger fighter than my mom in my whole life. After a couple of chemotherapy courses, the cancer shrunk 80 percent (this kind of cancer usually has a moderate, but not strong, response to chemotherapy) and the doctors were amazed. She didn't have any tumor in her shoulder anymore, they went for operation, she removed her whole right lung, and then with chemotherapy again. The fluid of the lung was free of cancer. She lost her hair in the process, and now here she is, she wants to get back to work and see me graduate.

Comment from: Marie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

January 21, 2014 I was diagnosed with stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer in my right lung the size of your fist. February 12, 2014 I had surgery and lower 1/3 of my lung with the cancer was removed leaving only a micro spot on top of my liver. I have had chemotherapy treatment every 21 days since the surgery and I am back to living a normal life. I am eating healthy and exercise. And, of course I cold turkey quit smoking January 21st the day I found out I had cancer.

Lung Cancer - Treatments Question: How effective was your Lung Cancer treatment?
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have lung cancer? Which lung cancer facts are most surprising to you?