Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience

What�s your biggest challenge with living with lung cancer?

Comment from: Natalie, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My grandma was diagnosed with stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer last summer and has been trying different medications since then. She went to the Accident and Emergency due to a persistent cough for over a month and pain on her upper right back. After a CXR (chest x-ray), her upper right lung was found collapsed as described by the doctor and further biopsy tests were done which confirmed the cancer. She was given the oral targeted therapy at first and she was responding quite well. However her liver enzymes went too high and her body could not tolerate the drug. That's when she switched to a newer oral targeted therapy but this time the visible side effects were really bad, her face got swollen, and bad reactions with her eyes. She also had some skin reactions. Despite all the side effects she was experiencing, her tumors were not responding to the drug and they even grew bigger. She then switched to intravenous chemotherapy and had several times of radiotherapy before that, hoping to shrink the tumors a bit. She was responding quite well to it at first, however, she has severe anemia after receiving chemotherapy for several months. She had to stop the chemotherapy and that was when the cancer got out of control. Moreover, since the chemotherapy was causing the anemia, and her body condition is just simply too weak for other chemotherapies, she is currently just in pain control and was given some cough suppressants. Her problem of coughing up blood is also getting more severe recently. The loss of appetite, nausea, and vomiting are actually making the condition much worse. She could not get enough nutrients for normal body functioning which made her more prone to infections and anemia. Also, constipation is another problem while there is not enough food consumption. Family support can make a huge difference in encouraging her throughout her journey of the condition and not to give up having treatments. She had her blood sample tested last week for a third generation targeted therapy, hopefully could switch to it after the results are out.

Comment from: jennyford, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

In November I went into the hospital with pancreatitis. They did a CT scan and found a nodule on my lung. After a PET scan that appeared hot I went to see a pulmonary surgeon. He said I had to have surgery for lung cancer. I had surgery to remove 1/3rd of my right lung. They said it was non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. But they got it all. That was three months ago. I cough until I throw up. The cough isn't from my throat, but my chest. The doctor did a CT and said he couldn't see anything. I feel like I can't get enough air.

Comment from: karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I went to the doctor because I had no appetite. X-ray showed 2 little spots on top right lobe. Doctor didn't think it was cancer but went in, and had right lobe removed because it was cancer. It was so small, so no chemotherapy or radiation. That was almost 4 1\2 years ago. I am still cancer free far as I know. I don't have many tests run, guess they think it has gone.

Comment from: Ramanamurthy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 01

I was diagnosed with tumor in left lung in 2013. In the first two biopsy reports a negative result came for malignancy. Thereafter in an advanced biopsy report positive result came. Since then I have undergone 6 chemotherapy and 36 radiation sittings which resulted in decrease in size of tumor. However, after 3 months there was an increase of 3 mm in size and also accumulated pleural fluid. This fluid was tapped out and in biopsy result was positive for malignant cells. Again I was advised for 6 chemotherapy treatments, out of which 3rd chemotherapy is scheduled tomorrow. The side effects I could not bear, I prefer to have an end of my life. This is not to discourage any one, but just my feeling.

Lung Cancer - Treatments Question: How effective was your lung cancer treatment?
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: What changes have you had to make to your routine since being diagnosed with lung cancer?