Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lung cancer.

Comment from: MandaLee, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 14

My dad was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer in December 2012. He called saying be couldn"t move the left side of his body so I went and took him to urgent care who transferred us to the hospital. He has 5 tumors on his brain and lungs are covered. He has had radiation on his brain then chemotherapy for his lungs. Chemotherapy didn't work at all so we did radiation on his lungs because it was shutting off the valve to his heart. He refused anymore chemotherapy just because it didn't work and he doesn"t want to be sick anymore. They are unable to do surgery because of the location of the tumors. My dad has never stopped working. He has been at his job for 26 years 12 hours shifts. He knows he is dying and doesn"t want to change his life because of cancer. Right now he has taken over a week off because he has been having extremely bad chest and back pains. I tried to get him to go to the doctor but he won"t. I think he is afraid of what they will tell him. We do MRI every 3 months and are currently waiting on test results. I'm only 26 my dad is 57, I am not ready to lose him.

Comment from: baltobilly, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

In January 2013 through test at the Veterans Affairs hospital, I was found to need a heart valve replaced. While doing an x-ray cancer was found in my right lung. It was stage 2 cancer but the heart valve had to be replaced before they could operate on the cancer. On April 4th 2013 the heart valve was replaced, six weeks later they were going to operate on the lung, but it had grown and a piece grew onto my wind pipe so it had to be shrunk, so in July, August I had 37 radiation treatments and 7 chemotherapy treatments, it worked well. So in Jan 2014 they decided to operate and on the 14th, they had to remove my whole right lung, it's been 2 months and here I am.

Comment from: Lulu, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had a lobectomy and resection on my right lung when I was 70 years old, I am now 83. My cancer was stage 1 however I had a recurrence 1 year later and had chemotherapy and radiation (6 weeks everyday but weekend). I have had everything possible happen to me that could happen, hair fallen out, anemia, white platelets, the whole 9 yards but I am a lung cancer survivor! The fight is hard but 12 years is a record for lung cancer survival, I saw my grandchildren graduate college and a great-grandchild born. I am a lucky person.

Comment from: MiMi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I was just diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma lung cancer after finding a 12mm nodule and a biopsy. This was just in the last 2 months. I did a PET scan and it did light up medium activity. I don't smoke. I did smoke as a teenager and quit when I was 20. I just turned 60. No one in my immediate family has ever had cancer. I have had bronchitis off and on all my life but lots of people do. I started coughing really bad about 3 years ago. The doctor sent me to a pulmonologist. He diagnosed me with asthma. Every time I went to see him and I was given the same old expensive inhalers, expensive breathing tests to tell me the same old story every time. Last visit in August his nurse practitioner told me I was coughing from the rain. Needless to say I made up my mind I would not go back. I had a bad surgery in February and 3 days later I got a pulmonary embolism. I have been coughing and throwing up ever since. Not one doctor would help me with the right kind of medicine. I pleaded with my primary care doctor to get me off of the blood thinners and I told her not one doctor has it right. I guess when they don't know what is wrong with you, they brush it off as asthma. She did a 3D CT scan and it was behind my right lung under a rib. It didn't show up on x-rays. It has grown in the last month and I am scheduled for surgery maybe next week. I have been itching a lot and flushing, kind of weird symptoms. All the doctors even told me to watch it for 3 months and I said no. I have learned the hard way not all doctors are created equal.

Comment from: Mindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer on 11/15/2012 after going in for a persistent dry cough. In January I had radiation for a brain tumor and have been receiving chemotherapy for everything below the neck. I have had challenges with bad reactions, blood clots, infected port and maintenance chemo that didn't work as my cancer's activity increased and 3 new spots were found. I'm on my 2nd round of chemo with a new drug and hoping that it keeps the cancer at bay. For the most part I'm feeling okay, staying hopeful, and looking forward to each new day!

Lung Cancer - Treatments Question: How effective was your Lung Cancer treatment?
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have lung cancer? Which lung cancer facts are most surprising to you?