Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lung cancer.

Comment from: careformom, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 09

My 76 year old mother had a chest x-ray done in January 2014. Then just 9 months later she was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer.

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

Both my parents, two younger brothers and my mother's father and all her 6 siblings died of lung cancer. Years ago, I was found to have a lung nodule and it was watched for many years and now I am beginning to have a nonproductive nagging cough. I do have a lot of allergies, so put off a visit to the doctor thinking this was the problem. It has been a few years since I had it looked at so should probably do this.

Comment from: Bros lil Sis, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My brother has lung cancer. I don't know how it happened and what caused it. He never used to go out with anyone. He always stayed home, and we never saw any symptoms in him! But all of a sudden he started having chest pains, so we took him to the hospital, after two or three diagnoses, his chest pain resulted in a lung cancer diagnosis. Now the doctors say he's on his last stage and chances of survival are low.

Comment from: wendylou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I have had pain under my breast right through to the back. I saw at least 8 to 10 surgeons, and they could not find anything. Then they thought it was my gallbladder. I kept going back to the ER – one doctor said I probably had cancer. I've had every test and nothing showed up until I got pneumonia. They did a CT scan and found cancer on my right lung. Now I have to start chemo and radiation treatment and see how it goes. Good luck to me.

Comment from: Professor Mustache, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I was just diagnosed with stage 3A, non-small cell lung cancer on March 12, 2013. Now I'm getting chemo and radiation. I never smoked. I'm feeling fine, have no symptoms, and am frustrated by that fact. My cancer was discovered via a CT scan for a kidney stone – a mistake by the technician, for which I am grateful.

Comment from: heartbroken, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My mom had been having severe pain in her neck, shoulders and across her breast. We were told after having X-rays and CT scans that she had degenerative discs, and they had collapsed on top of each other causing the pain. We finally took her to a larger city hospital and asked for help with the pain she was having. They ran several tests including a CT scan of her chest. We were then told she had stage 4 inoperable lung cancer, and they gave her two weeks to six months to live. She died two days later.

Comment from: Sue, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My dad was sick last year (June 2007). He was told by local general practitioner that he had the flu. He had a chest X-ray that showed a mark on his lung, but the doctor said it was an old infection. He had antibiotics for June, July and August, but the "flu" didn't go away. He had a lot of pain in his neck, so the doctor sent him to physical therapy, which didn't do anything. By end of August 2007, he was so sick, had lost so much weight, that he could barely even walk. A doctor finally decided to give him a second chest X-ray and blood tests. The mark on his lung was still there but bigger. He had a lung biopsy, and it was confirmed he had lung cancer. The only treatment was radiation, which didn't really do anything for him. He was in so much pain that he lost his voice. My dad died on November 17th, 2007. He was only 62 and before he got sick, he was fit and strong.

Comment from: Thankful, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I'm 65 years old and in December of 2006, I had the middle lobe of the right lung removed. The follow-up was three chemotherapy treatments. I get checked every three months by the oncologist, and the surgeon checks me at six-month intervals. There are days that I think back and can't believe I went through all of this, it's like it was someone else, and then I remember that it can come back at any time.

Lung Cancer - Treatments Question: How effective was your Lung Cancer treatment?
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have lung cancer? Which lung cancer facts are most surprising to you?