Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lung cancer.

Comment from: wendylou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I have had pain under my breast right through to the back. I saw at least 8 to 10 surgeons, and they could not find anything. Then they thought it was my gallbladder. I kept going back to the ER – one doctor said I probably had cancer. I've had every test and nothing showed up until I got pneumonia. They did a CT scan and found cancer on my right lung. Now I have to start chemo and radiation treatment and see how it goes. Good luck to me.

Comment from: Professor Mustache, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I was just diagnosed with stage 3A, non-small cell lung cancer on March 12, 2013. Now I'm getting chemo and radiation. I never smoked. I'm feeling fine, have no symptoms, and am frustrated by that fact. My cancer was discovered via a CT scan for a kidney stone – a mistake by the technician, for which I am grateful.

Comment from: heartbroken, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My mom had been having severe pain in her neck, shoulders and across her breast. We were told after having X-rays and CT scans that she had degenerative discs, and they had collapsed on top of each other causing the pain. We finally took her to a larger city hospital and asked for help with the pain she was having. They ran several tests including a CT scan of her chest. We were then told she had stage 4 inoperable lung cancer, and they gave her two weeks to six months to live. She died two days later.

Comment from: Sue, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My dad was sick last year (June 2007). He was told by local general practitioner that he had the flu. He had a chest X-ray that showed a mark on his lung, but the doctor said it was an old infection. He had antibiotics for June, July and August, but the "flu" didn't go away. He had a lot of pain in his neck, so the doctor sent him to physical therapy, which didn't do anything. By end of August 2007, he was so sick, had lost so much weight, that he could barely even walk. A doctor finally decided to give him a second chest X-ray and blood tests. The mark on his lung was still there but bigger. He had a lung biopsy, and it was confirmed he had lung cancer. The only treatment was radiation, which didn't really do anything for him. He was in so much pain that he lost his voice. My dad died on November 17th, 2007. He was only 62 and before he got sick, he was fit and strong.

Comment from: Thankful, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I'm 65 years old and in December of 2006, I had the middle lobe of the right lung removed. The follow-up was three chemotherapy treatments. I get checked every three months by the oncologist, and the surgeon checks me at six-month intervals. There are days that I think back and can't believe I went through all of this, it's like it was someone else, and then I remember that it can come back at any time.

Comment from: scared little sister, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 21

My brother was just diagnosed. He is in complete denial. We can not get him to talk, eat, or sleep. All we know is he said the doctor said lung cancer and it was stage 1. I figured that was good. But after reading the sites that stage 1 SLC, does not have a very good outcome and only 16% of survivors live past 5 years. I don't know what to tell him. I am a nurse and worked with chemo patients for 2 years in the past. I believe that quality of life is more important then quantity. He deserves to happy and not to be miserable if it is his time. I just can't tell my mom or sister that I understand him saying no chemo. I am sorry that I am rambling, I am just scared, I will lose him.

Comment from: Carol, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 04

It has been five years since I was told I had non-small cell lung cancer. They removed the upper lobe of my left lung. I did not have chemo or radiation. So far, I am cancer-free. I am 77 years old.

Published: July 31

My dad had lung cancer. First, his face and neck area was swollen. During that period, we never thought it was cancer, and later on, the swelling moved to his arms and chest area. After 12 days, we found out it was lung cancer from a CT scan had had done. He immediately started chemotherapy and radiation therapy. For the first two chemo rounds, the swelling was gone, but it came back. My dad survived about one to two months after the diagnosis.

Lung Cancer - Treatments Question: How effective was your Lung Cancer treatment?
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have lung cancer? Which lung cancer facts are most surprising to you?