Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lung cancer.

Published: May 23

My husband was diagnosed in October of 2003. He has non small cell lung cancer with brain mets. We have now finished all the radiation he can have for a life time. We are doing chemotherapy still. He has had a port that clotted off so we had it removed . Then had a central line put in that his body rejected. He is running out of good veins so they are using larger ones that are not that good either. We are down to what do we do now. The blood transfusion or Procrit makes him very sick. His red blood cells are so low or stop chemo. He wants to continue so we decided on Procrit and continue chemo. Only time will tell. The doctor says he may have six months left, but he has said that 4 1/2 years ago. I don't discuss financial things with him stress is very bad for cancer patients . The less they have to worry about the better the fight. Caregivers remember you are not alone in your fight. There are others going though the same thing.

Comment from: judimari, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

My grandmother just told me she had lung cancer and is not going to take treatment. Can you please tell me how long she has to live? She is a heavy smoker at the age of 76. Please advise I desperately need to know.

Comment from: Monk, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 17

My husband had pneumonia and has had several CT scans since then because there is a spot or shadow on the X-ray and a CT scan. His pulmonary doctor said the spot isn't getting any bigger and she is afraid to do any invasive testing because he only has 1 lung. (The left lung was removed 10 years ago because of a fungus). He has some cough and wheezing and I am concerned that it is cancer. What should we do? His doctor is content to wait and see.

Comment from: mdelisa2003, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My sister was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in June. The cancer has spread from the lungs to the stomach to the abdomen. The doctors have given her less than six months to live. They state the chemotherapy would be useless and have recommended hospice. My sister is in complete denial and has refused hospice care. It is very difficult for the entire family, especially me because she has become so dependent on me. She won't fight the cancer.

Comment from: MaggiNMe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I am 64 years old and was diagnosed 4 months ago with stage IIIa lung cancer. I finished 6 rounds of chemo yesterday (Taxotere, Cisplatin, Avastin) and have had no side effects except some tiredness, some loss of appetite, and sleeplessness but nothing I would consider a problem. The tumor was the size of a fist and is now reduced by 60%! I am now pending surgery and even though I feel very apprehensive, I want the tumor out of me!

Comment from: patsyj, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 21

My husband was just diagnosed with lung cancer. He also has COPD and the doctor said that there was nothing that could be done because of the condition of his lungs. If anyone has heard of a treatment besides chemo and radiation therapy I would be more than happy if you would share it with me.

Published: August 18

My mother, a healthy, active non smoker, developed a dry lingering cough during October at age 55. She was treated for asthma-like symptoms. She felt well enough to prepare Thanksgiving dinner that year & 2 weeks later was diagnosed w/Stage 4 lung cancer. She lived 2 months. It seems routine chest x-rays & more screening-- for all & most importantly for those w/ family history of any cancers would surely save lives. For her there were no signs until it was too late.

Comment from: charpre, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 12

My husband lost his battle after only nine months diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer. He went through chemotherapy and radiation which prolonged his life but in retrospect maybe no treatment would have given him more quality of life.

Lung Cancer - Treatments Question: How effective was your Lung Cancer treatment?
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have lung cancer? Which lung cancer facts are most surprising to you?