Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lung cancer.

Comment from: Lulu, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had a lobectomy and resection on my right lung when I was 70 years old, I am now 83. My cancer was stage 1 however I had a recurrence 1 year later and had chemotherapy and radiation (6 weeks everyday but weekend). I have had everything possible happen to me that could happen, hair fallen out, anemia, white platelets, the whole 9 yards but I am a lung cancer survivor! The fight is hard but 12 years is a record for lung cancer survival, I saw my grandchildren graduate college and a great-grandchild born. I am a lucky person.

Comment from: MiMi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I was just diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma lung cancer after finding a 12mm nodule and a biopsy. This was just in the last 2 months. I did a PET scan and it did light up medium activity. I don't smoke. I did smoke as a teenager and quit when I was 20. I just turned 60. No one in my immediate family has ever had cancer. I have had bronchitis off and on all my life but lots of people do. I started coughing really bad about 3 years ago. The doctor sent me to a pulmonologist. He diagnosed me with asthma. Every time I went to see him and I was given the same old expensive inhalers, expensive breathing tests to tell me the same old story every time. Last visit in August his nurse practitioner told me I was coughing from the rain. Needless to say I made up my mind I would not go back. I had a bad surgery in February and 3 days later I got a pulmonary embolism. I have been coughing and throwing up ever since. Not one doctor would help me with the right kind of medicine. I pleaded with my primary care doctor to get me off of the blood thinners and I told her not one doctor has it right. I guess when they don't know what is wrong with you, they brush it off as asthma. She did a 3D CT scan and it was behind my right lung under a rib. It didn't show up on x-rays. It has grown in the last month and I am scheduled for surgery maybe next week. I have been itching a lot and flushing, kind of weird symptoms. All the doctors even told me to watch it for 3 months and I said no. I have learned the hard way not all doctors are created equal.

Comment from: Mindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer on 11/15/2012 after going in for a persistent dry cough. In January I had radiation for a brain tumor and have been receiving chemotherapy for everything below the neck. I have had challenges with bad reactions, blood clots, infected port and maintenance chemo that didn't work as my cancer's activity increased and 3 new spots were found. I'm on my 2nd round of chemo with a new drug and hoping that it keeps the cancer at bay. For the most part I'm feeling okay, staying hopeful, and looking forward to each new day!

Comment from: Sonia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I now have pain underneath my breast. After having lung cancer I had three radiation treatments and my last treatment was in August 2013. It's really hurting now and I'm scared.

Comment from: Deshia63, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I was diagnosed with lung cancer on October 1st, 2013. In late July 2013 I was coughing up blood and I was told I had pneumonia after a chest X-ray then given antibiotics. I was back in the emergency room in Sept 2013 with worsening symptoms. Again I was given antibiotics then I was sent home again. So I pushed for further testing and was then given a bronchoscopy/biopsy and a CAT scan. I was told I had lung cancer, a tumor in my right middle lobe. I am having surgery in January.

Comment from: Kathy M, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 30

My husband, aged 69, was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer that had metastasized to the bones. He underwent months of radiation treatment and finally received a positive note from his medical oncologist with finally a start date for chemotherapy to begin on December 6, 2013. He got pneumonia and died December 8, 2013 after 5 days in the ICU suffering to breathe. My husband only lived barely 4 months after diagnosis and if ever there was a person who thought he could beat it, it was him.

Comment from: art, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 31

My right upper lobe was removed in 2002, but I had no chemotherapy or radiation. Nine years later the cancer back as NSCLC (non-small-cell lung carcinoma). I did radiation for 7 weeks chemotherapy for 27 months and after a second opinion I stopped chemotherapy and am doing well. I do a cancer scan every 6 months now.

Lung Cancer - Treatments Question: How effective was your Lung Cancer treatment?
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have lung cancer? Which lung cancer facts are most surprising to you?