Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lung cancer.

Comment from: Sue, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My dad was sick last year (June 2007). He was told by local general practitioner that he had the flu. He had a chest X-ray that showed a mark on his lung, but the doctor said it was an old infection. He had antibiotics for June, July and August, but the "flu" didn't go away. He had a lot of pain in his neck, so the doctor sent him to physical therapy, which didn't do anything. By end of August 2007, he was so sick, had lost so much weight, that he could barely even walk. A doctor finally decided to give him a second chest X-ray and blood tests. The mark on his lung was still there but bigger. He had a lung biopsy, and it was confirmed he had lung cancer. The only treatment was radiation, which didn't really do anything for him. He was in so much pain that he lost his voice. My dad died on November 17th, 2007. He was only 62 and before he got sick, he was fit and strong.

Comment from: Thankful, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I'm 65 years old and in December of 2006, I had the middle lobe of the right lung removed. The follow-up was three chemotherapy treatments. I get checked every three months by the oncologist, and the surgeon checks me at six-month intervals. There are days that I think back and can't believe I went through all of this, it's like it was someone else, and then I remember that it can come back at any time.

Comment from: scared little sister, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 21

My brother was just diagnosed. He is in complete denial. We can not get him to talk, eat, or sleep. All we know is he said the doctor said lung cancer and it was stage 1. I figured that was good. But after reading the sites that stage 1 SLC, does not have a very good outcome and only 16% of survivors live past 5 years. I don't know what to tell him. I am a nurse and worked with chemo patients for 2 years in the past. I believe that quality of life is more important then quantity. He deserves to happy and not to be miserable if it is his time. I just can't tell my mom or sister that I understand him saying no chemo. I am sorry that I am rambling, I am just scared, I will lose him.

Comment from: Carol, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 04

It has been five years since I was told I had non-small cell lung cancer. They removed the upper lobe of my left lung. I did not have chemo or radiation. So far, I am cancer-free. I am 77 years old.

Published: July 31

My dad had lung cancer. First, his face and neck area was swollen. During that period, we never thought it was cancer, and later on, the swelling moved to his arms and chest area. After 12 days, we found out it was lung cancer from a CT scan had had done. He immediately started chemotherapy and radiation therapy. For the first two chemo rounds, the swelling was gone, but it came back. My dad survived about one to two months after the diagnosis.

Published: July 11

I started coughing up bloody phlegm six weeks ago. I don't have a family doctor and had to make an appointment to see one in emergency care. He X-rayed me and gave me a pulmonary test and sent me for a CT scan in another town. I went to London and saw a top specialist who told me I have lung cancer, and it has spread to my lymph nodes. I now need a biopsy and will need radiation and chemo therapy. I'm 65 and not ready to go yet.

Published: July 01

I had breast cancer one year ago. Soon after radiation therapy I became short of breath and had symptoms of asthma. I now have numerous nodules in the lung. The doctors do not know if it is cancer and want to wait another 6 months to do anything.

Published: June 24

Mike and I were only married 4 months when he had a MRI on his back prior to back surgery. The MRI showed tumors on his T5, 6, & 7. They did a biopsy and found cancer. They did additional testing and discovered that they think it originated in his lungs. Mike began radiation and chemotherapy immediately not questions asked. He has had 20 radiation treatments and has been receiving chemotherapy for 10 months. He even kept working during his treatments until he was too sick to work. I took time off work to take care of him and ended up losing my job. He has taught me so much about love, faith and hope. One of the first cancer patients we met told us that you cannot fight this disease without hope. She was right! Mike has been in so much pain and has been so sick (nausea) for months. He never complains. He told me that he didn't care if he had 4 days, 4 weeks, 4 months or 4 years he had to hang around for me. I feel bad that part of the reason he going through treatment is because of me. It's hard to see someone you love so much go through so much. But, we continue to pray and ask God to hold us in the palm of his hand. I feel blessed to still have Mike with me. All he has to do is smile at me and I fall in love with him all over again. So, those of you who also love someone who has cancer, just continue to love them! Love is healing.

Lung Cancer - Treatments Question: How effective was your Lung Cancer treatment?
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have lung cancer? Which lung cancer facts are most surprising to you?