Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lung cancer.

Comment from: keleee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I went in to my doctor's because I was coughing up bloody sputum. I had a general dry cough off and on. I had wheezing and chest noises. I also had mucus in the back of my throat that I had to spit up regularly. My doctor ordered a chest x-ray and they saw something so they ordered a CAT scan which showed a 3 inch mass which looked like cancer. I go to a pulmonary clinic in a few days to stage the cancer. I hope it is not too advanced.

Comment from: Daddy's Girl, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 05

My dad was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) when he was 49. He is now 63. He had chemotherapy in 2007 and all was well until last year August 2013. He became sick again and went to the doctor and they gave him blood transfusions because his blood count was low. In December 2013, he ended up in the hospital and after many tests they figured out he had hepatitis B from the blood transfusions. So finally after getting that sorted they started chemotherapy in March 2014, 2 days a month for 6 months. He then started getting bad vision and has cataracts and needs surgery but they cannot do it until after his last chemotherapy which should have been this past week, August 1, 2014. So he went to get blood drawn and they said he did not need any more chemotherapy! But then they said they needed to admit him and run tests because 2 weeks prior they took a CT scan and found a spot on his lung. So they admitted him, did biopsy, and it is lung cancer. So next week he goes and gets a PET scan to see how bad it is, and the type of cancer. I am so frustrated and do not understand how so many bad things are happening to my father. I am not ready to lose my dad. My dad is so upset and angry. He does not want to have any more chemotherapy!

Comment from: 55-64 (Caregiver) Published: July 31

My dad was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2009, they did surgery and removed it, and then did nine months of chemotherapy. In 2011 he was diagnosed with liver cancer, went in to do the surgery but had to be stopped as they found a tumor in his back. They found it was not cancerous, so removed the cancer in the liver, and 2 months later removed the tumor from his back. November 2013 they found spots on his liver again and removed them, and now this week they have found a 1.3 cm tumor on his lung. They are going to do chemotherapy and maybe keyhole surgery as they think his body might not be ready just yet for full open surgery. He has been battling it last 4 times, I just hope he fights on; he is such a fighter and still young at 55, I hope all goes well.

Comment from: Buzzy Gil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in December of 2013. I have never smoked. It took doctors 3 weeks to detect it. It started with a dry cough, then I had a fever and stayed in bed a few weeks. I have undergone radiation and chemotherapy. My tumor grew during chemotherapy (Taxol and carboplatin) from 4.1 to 7.1 cm. I am now on Tarceva. Six days ago, I began having severe pain throughout my lung with the tumor. Two 4 mg Dilaudid and one 15 mg oxycodone is required just so I can sit without the pain being all-consuming. All the best to those of you suffering with this illness.

Comment from: MandaLee, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 14

My dad was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer in December 2012. He called saying be couldn"t move the left side of his body so I went and took him to urgent care who transferred us to the hospital. He has 5 tumors on his brain and lungs are covered. He has had radiation on his brain then chemotherapy for his lungs. Chemotherapy didn't work at all so we did radiation on his lungs because it was shutting off the valve to his heart. He refused anymore chemotherapy just because it didn't work and he doesn"t want to be sick anymore. They are unable to do surgery because of the location of the tumors. My dad has never stopped working. He has been at his job for 26 years 12 hours shifts. He knows he is dying and doesn"t want to change his life because of cancer. Right now he has taken over a week off because he has been having extremely bad chest and back pains. I tried to get him to go to the doctor but he won"t. I think he is afraid of what they will tell him. We do MRI every 3 months and are currently waiting on test results. I'm only 26 my dad is 57, I am not ready to lose him.

Comment from: baltobilly, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

In January 2013 through test at the Veterans Affairs hospital, I was found to need a heart valve replaced. While doing an x-ray cancer was found in my right lung. It was stage 2 cancer but the heart valve had to be replaced before they could operate on the cancer. On April 4th 2013 the heart valve was replaced, six weeks later they were going to operate on the lung, but it had grown and a piece grew onto my wind pipe so it had to be shrunk, so in July, August I had 37 radiation treatments and 7 chemotherapy treatments, it worked well. So in Jan 2014 they decided to operate and on the 14th, they had to remove my whole right lung, it's been 2 months and here I am.

Lung Cancer - Treatments Question: How effective was your Lung Cancer treatment?
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have lung cancer? Which lung cancer facts are most surprising to you?