Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lung cancer.

Comment from: Deshia63, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I was diagnosed with lung cancer on October 1st, 2013. In late July 2013 I was coughing up blood and I was told I had pneumonia after a chest X-ray then given antibiotics. I was back in the emergency room in Sept 2013 with worsening symptoms. Again I was given antibiotics then I was sent home again. So I pushed for further testing and was then given a bronchoscopy/biopsy and a CAT scan. I was told I had lung cancer, a tumor in my right middle lobe. I am having surgery in January.

Comment from: Kathy M, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 30

My husband, aged 69, was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer that had metastasized to the bones. He underwent months of radiation treatment and finally received a positive note from his medical oncologist with finally a start date for chemotherapy to begin on December 6, 2013. He got pneumonia and died December 8, 2013 after 5 days in the ICU suffering to breathe. My husband only lived barely 4 months after diagnosis and if ever there was a person who thought he could beat it, it was him.

Comment from: art, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 31

My right upper lobe was removed in 2002, but I had no chemotherapy or radiation. Nine years later the cancer back as NSCLC (non-small-cell lung carcinoma). I did radiation for 7 weeks chemotherapy for 27 months and after a second opinion I stopped chemotherapy and am doing well. I do a cancer scan every 6 months now.

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

Both my parents, two younger brothers and my mother's father and all her 6 siblings died of lung cancer. Years ago, I was found to have a lung nodule and it was watched for many years and now I am beginning to have a nonproductive nagging cough. I do have a lot of allergies, so put off a visit to the doctor thinking this was the problem. It has been a few years since I had it looked at so should probably do this.

Comment from: Bros lil Sis, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My brother has lung cancer. I don't know how it happened and what caused it. He never used to go out with anyone. He always stayed home, and we never saw any symptoms in him! But all of a sudden he started having chest pains, so we took him to the hospital, after two or three diagnoses, his chest pain resulted in a lung cancer diagnosis. Now the doctors say he's on his last stage and chances of survival are low.

Comment from: wendylou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I have had pain under my breast right through to the back. I saw at least 8 to 10 surgeons, and they could not find anything. Then they thought it was my gallbladder. I kept going back to the ER – one doctor said I probably had cancer. I've had every test and nothing showed up until I got pneumonia. They did a CT scan and found cancer on my right lung. Now I have to start chemo and radiation treatment and see how it goes. Good luck to me.

Comment from: Professor Mustache, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I was just diagnosed with stage 3A, non-small cell lung cancer on March 12, 2013. Now I'm getting chemo and radiation. I never smoked. I'm feeling fine, have no symptoms, and am frustrated by that fact. My cancer was discovered via a CT scan for a kidney stone – a mistake by the technician, for which I am grateful.

Comment from: heartbroken, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My mom had been having severe pain in her neck, shoulders and across her breast. We were told after having X-rays and CT scans that she had degenerative discs, and they had collapsed on top of each other causing the pain. We finally took her to a larger city hospital and asked for help with the pain she was having. They ran several tests including a CT scan of her chest. We were then told she had stage 4 inoperable lung cancer, and they gave her two weeks to six months to live. She died two days later.

Lung Cancer - Treatments Question: How effective was your Lung Cancer treatment?
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have lung cancer? Which lung cancer facts are most surprising to you?