Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience

What�s your biggest challenge with living with lung cancer?

Comment from: Karykzen, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 03

I had a friend who passed away in 2014 at the age of 42 due to large cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. The tumor was below his heart and had grown into his lungs, predominantly his lower right lung. There were no symptoms until about 4 months before diagnosis, which consisted of wheezing on a deep exhale which was misdiagnosed as bronchitis. Antibiotics were given but didn't clear the issue up. Not soon afterwards, the patient started to experience lack of appetite, rapid weight loss followed by inability to control bowels on occasion. Once hospitalized, initial thought was pneumonia but a PET scan led doctors to test for cancer which was when the patient was diagnosed. He underwent one week of intensive chemotherapy and it was just one and a half days after release from the hospital when he began to vomit up massive amounts of blood. He bled out in less than a minute due to the amount of blood he was vomiting up. He passed out before he expired and emergency medical rescue was unable to provide assistance when they arrived. His parents did not want an autopsy so I can only speculate that the tumor had grown around a major artery/vein and when it was destroyed by the chemotherapy, caused an esophageal varices (as a generic term) which caused him to bleed out.

Comment from: FRANK NICOLO, 75 or over (Patient) Published: January 12

In 2011 I had stage 1B lung cancer and after having half my left lung removed in 2012 I have beaten the cancer and I am so thankful. You can survive, you will survive, good luck.

Comment from: Manhattan, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 22

I just want to thank everyone for leaving their experiences. My brother died of lung cancer. I now have a nodule in my lung. It is so helpful to hear your symptoms prior to diagnosis and your treatments. Many of you are so inspirational; keep it up!

Comment from: Pauline, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I went in the hospital with pain, it was my gallbladder. They took a CAT scan and found a mass on my lung. I stayed in the hospital and got antibiotic to get rid of the pain for gallbladder, no operation. I want to take care of the lung. My pain went away because of the antibiotic so now I went for a PET scan. I will find out on Tuesday what they found in my lung and see what will happen. If it wasn't for the gallbladder pain, I never would have found about the mass in my lung.

Comment from: Son of a Survivor, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 02

My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in June 2014. I am a medical student in my 5th year, so I think everyone could imagine how much this was devastating to me especially that I studied the disease, and I know how bad this is, and I'd know when the doctor/my parents would lie to me. My mom had gone through a very hard time for 6 months before she was diagnosed. She left the country and went to USA to receive treatment. The doctors thought they could only buy her time with chemotherapy. She couldn't have surgery because the cancer already had gone to her shoulder bone, and her lung fluid was filled with cancer cells, but none of us knew her prognosis by then, not even her. I never saw a stronger fighter than my mom in my whole life. After a couple of chemotherapy courses, the cancer shrunk 80 percent (this kind of cancer usually has a moderate, but not strong, response to chemotherapy) and the doctors were amazed. She didn't have any tumor in her shoulder anymore, they went for operation, she removed her whole right lung, and then with chemotherapy again. The fluid of the lung was free of cancer. She lost her hair in the process, and now here she is, she wants to get back to work and see me graduate.

Comment from: Marie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

January 21, 2014 I was diagnosed with stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer in my right lung the size of your fist. February 12, 2014 I had surgery and lower 1/3 of my lung with the cancer was removed leaving only a micro spot on top of my liver. I have had chemotherapy treatment every 21 days since the surgery and I am back to living a normal life. I am eating healthy and exercise. And, of course I cold turkey quit smoking January 21st the day I found out I had cancer.

Lung Cancer - Treatments Question: How effective was your lung cancer treatment?
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: What changes have you had to make to your routine since being diagnosed with lung cancer?