Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lung cancer.

Comment from: Pauline, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I went in the hospital with pain, it was my gallbladder. They took a CAT scan and found a mass on my lung. I stayed in the hospital and got antibiotic to get rid of the pain for gallbladder, no operation. I want to take care of the lung. My pain went away because of the antibiotic so now I went for a PET scan. I will find out on Tuesday what they found in my lung and see what will happen. If it wasn't for the gallbladder pain, I never would have found about the mass in my lung.

Comment from: sharky, (Caregiver) Published: April 08

I lost my closest cousin to lung cancer. At first she thought she just had the flu but when she went to the doctor after 2 weeks of being sick he diagnosed her with lung cancer.

Comment from: darla, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 29

My mother had lung cancer in 1987. She has long since passed but she went to the Livingston Clinic in San Diego Ca., they treated and taught her how to live holistically. She gave herself B6 shots and she drank tons and tons of carrot juice to keep her platelets up, she was on 2500 of vitamin C twice a day. She had cancer in both lungs, she was given 6 months and lived 4 years and almost had it licked.

Comment from: CITH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I had a spiral x-ray of my lungs about 4 years ago. Then the emergency room (ER) doctor told me that I had a nodule on my lung. Like a fool I ignored this and never gave the ER information to my family doctor. I figured that if this was serious the hospital would contact my doctor and not tell me inform my doctor. Now I am very dizzy, ready to pass out just walking a few feet to the washroom. I suffer from SPMS (secondary progressive multiple sclerosis) and depression. Now my family doctor after blood work and description of my symptoms including severe pain on my upper shoulder, back, and breast area says I have to go for chest x-ray to check for lung cancer. I am scared I do not want to know. I have a husband and 2 children. Yes, I am a big fool. I am frightened, I have been smoking since the age of 13 and am now 60. I smoke 2 to 3 packs a day.

Comment from: Marie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

January 21, 2014 I was diagnosed with stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer in my right lung the size of your fist. February 12, 2014 I had surgery and lower 1/3 of my lung with the cancer was removed leaving only a micro spot on top of my liver. I have had chemotherapy treatment every 21 days since the surgery and I am back to living a normal life. I am eating healthy and exercise. And, of course I cold turkey quit smoking January 21st the day I found out I had cancer.

Comment from: MyMother'sDaughter, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: December 29

I'm just so scared. My mom is 84 and we took her to the emergency room (ER) because her blood pressure was high. But I started talking to the ER doctor about a persistent cough and the fact that she'd been to the doctor twice and she was not getting better. They decided to do a CT scan and they saw a mass and a suspected cancer diagnosis. They admitted her with the intent to a biopsy the next day. A bunch of delays and mix ups caused her biopsy to be delayed until Christmas Eve. Her coughing has finally subsided a bit, however she is now saying she's hoarse. She's also saying she's a little wheezy. She's been living with COPD since 2000 and if it weren't for the fact that she most likely has cancer, I wouldn't think any of these two developments because it is nothing new. We are now just in a waiting game. We had a great Christmas but I fear it will be our last with her. I've applied for FMLA (Family and Medical Leave) just in case.

Lung Cancer - Treatments Question: How effective was your Lung Cancer treatment?
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have lung cancer? Which lung cancer facts are most surprising to you?