Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Facts

Do you, a friend, or relative have lung cancer? Which lung cancer facts are most surprising to you?

Comment from: daytona7, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

Way back in the mid-80s while in the USA, I had a chest x-ray which showed a small nodule in the lower right lobe of my lung. Nothing ever came of it. Two years ago another x-ray also showed a small nodule in the lower right lobe with no follow up. Back in August or September 2014 I was diagnosed with non-small cell cancer of the lower right lobe. The nodule measured 2.6 cm. One oncologist said I had stage 3 or 4 lung cancer and wanted to put me on chemotherapy right away, before consultation with the center's radiation oncologist and biopsy of lymph node or a chance to get a second opinion. Biopsy came back as benign. Radiation oncologist said it was stage 1. On Feb. 18, I had the first of five radiation treatments. Would have had second treatment today but problem with a pinched nerve left shoulder forced me to stop treatment until the 23rd. What surprised me the most, was the lack of consultation between both oncologist at the cancer research and treatment center and myself, the patient.

Comment from: Lung Cancer Symptoms, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I am 43. I had the CT scan for something different and a little nodule was seen in my lower left lobe of the lung. A biopsy revealed it was cancer. I had the tracheotomy and reduced left lobotomy along with a small wedge resection of upper left lung due to another smaller nodule. I had no lymph involvement. I have the suspicious cloudy opacity around my upper right lung that's being watched. Overall, the surgery in addition to recovery have eliminated cancer well, although the tracheotomy is usually an unpleasant and painful recovery even if everything goes very well. I am due to go in regarding another CT search in January to see or watch any changes inside upper right lobe; surgery may be considered and I am about to ask about the biopsy which will never be done. I imagine the 'wait in addition to see' approach is actually questionable, especially with lung cancer.

Comment from: sharon, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 23

My husband was told he had lung cancer. He had no signs at all, he went for a checkup and that's how we found out. They told us the only thing they could do was prolong his life and told he had about 12 months to live. As they said, he had had the cancer about 18 months; that was 19 months ago and he is still going strong. So you should never give up.

Comment from: Rosie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I am a 50 year old woman that has never smoked a day in my life. My husband made me go to the emergency room (ER) because my low back was hurting. Thanks goodness I did. I had an x-ray and they saw a spot on my spine. Then the 3 cm nodule on my right lung. What a nightmare! This was 6 weeks ago. I have mutant gene #19; adenocarcinoma, non-small cell lung cancer. They are treating me with oral medications. They are treating me really well. I hope to be cancer free...

Comment from: Carole, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 03

It is my sister who has lung cancer. We were told on February 4th that she had two tumors on right lung and that she was too fragile at that point to do any chemotherapy or surgery. She was a heavy smoker, now living in an assisted home. I am here visiting. The doctor gave her from 10 days to maybe a few months. I live in another state and have been here in Ohio for a week caring all I can and crying. I don't feel they are giving her the care. They drop off food in morning and it stays cold so I reorder and feed her when she eats. And it feels good because they told me she couldn't swallow. She is doing fine if given care. When she says she has some leg pain, they give morphine, she doesn't say she has that kind of pain. I feel they just want her to go. I wash her face and brush her hair.

Comment from: ken, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I have stage 3B lung cancer and they said it was incurable.

Comment from: LeeAnn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have late stage 3 cancer in lungs metastasized to liver.

Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lung cancer.
Lung Cancer - Treatments Question: How effective was your Lung Cancer treatment?
Lung Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?