Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your lung cancer?

Comment from: Mary L, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 25

My mom had a cough for a month or so. She has a lot of health problems, is at risk for pneumonia and heart failure - so I bugged her to call the doctor. Initial diagnosis was pneumonia as she had a low grade fever and there was a small shadow on her lung. She felt better after antibiotics (she had gotten tired), but still coughing - so I bugged her to follow doctor's instructions to call back. Doctor saw her right away and sent her for a respiratory workup for COPD (mom had smoked maybe half a pack day for about 10 years - she quit over 30 years ago!). They called and told her she had cancer. Oncologist saw her a few days later (on Memorial day - he came in on his day off to meet with us all). Took about three weeks from first call to diagnosis.

Comment from: shoko, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I was having reoccurring bronchitis 3 winters in a row, then I had a bout of pneumonia in June. This triggered me to keep going back to see my doctor. Since I was a nonsmoker and 38 at the time, I kept getting antibiotics and sent home. Although, I never felt well in July. I kept coughing and was extremely exhausted. I was diagnosed in 1997 with stage II bronchioaveolar adenoid carcinoma. My upper right lobe and 1/3 of my lower lobe was removed and followed by 5 1/2 weeks of radiation. That was 15 1/2 years ago. I am a healthy 54 today!

Comment from: Curt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

A pain when I coughed.

Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lung cancer.
Lung Cancer - Treatments Question: How effective was your Lung Cancer treatment?
Lung Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your lung cancer when you were diagnosed?
Lung Cancer - Facts Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have lung cancer? Which lung cancer facts are most surprising to you?