Patient Comments: Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your lumbar spinal stenosis?

Comment from: long island phil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I was in a motorcycle accident in 05 and broke my neck and back. Due to the impact I got arthritis in pelvis and lower back. Two months ago I got a pinched nerve in my spine where there is no cushion left. I had pain like I never felt before; like being electrocuted! After MRI I was set to get a laminectomy {open up the spine to let the nerves breathe} for my lumbar spinal stenosis. I have diabetes. Before I was supposed to go under they found my levels were too high and sent me home. I am bed ridden and not set to go under till July 7th. I can't bear the pain! I am on oxycodone, hydrocodone and all the rest and can't find a day {no, a minute} without pain. I am ready to drive my car into a brick wall!

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I am 57 and I had a fall from a horse last June 2014 which resulted in a rotator cuff injury. I had surgery on my shoulder last November 2014. Since January this year I have been suffering with leg pain in both legs, which keeps me awake, it always starts around 2.30 am. My physiotherapist who sees me for my shoulder operation is also seeing me about my leg pain. Last week she manipulated my lower spine. For 3 nights and days it was wonderful, no pain. Then Sunday night and every night since the pain has returned with vengeance. The pains I experience in both legs is sometimes throbbing or dull continuous ache, and then a few months ago it moved to around top of both legs in the groin area, very painful. The last 2 night and days I have experienced pain in both shins all night and day, it just won't go away. I have experienced numbness in both legs and unable to move them during the night for 10/15 seconds which seem like ages. I'm seeing my physiotherapist tomorrow and just hope he suggests an MRI. I'm due to return to work next month after having my shoulder surgery. But I feel these leg pains are going to prevent me from doing this as they are at the moment. As yet I haven't had one though I am worried it might be lumbar spinal stenosis. I have on occasions lost control of both lower functions, and have been referred back to surgeons for this.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I've been in pain for a year now. I was just recently diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis. It's hard for me to work. My feet, legs and lumbar region hurt. I've tried physical therapy and it's painful. I'm only 48 years old. This has affected me mentally, physically, and emotionally. I used to be very active. I can't do what I used to do. My neurologist is suggesting a rhizotomy.

Comment from: gacowgirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

After decades of lower back pain, I had a 4 level TLIF (transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion) 10 years ago. The fusion begins at S1. Now, I am having back pain again, along with leg weakness and bowel and bladder incontinence. I have an appointment with my spine doctor in 1 year. I have had spinal stenosis since my 20s and was diagnosed with DDD (degenerative disc disease) with facet involvement in my early 40s. I have had rheumatoid arthritis (RA) since I was 35. I also have double hip (and knee) replacements and one shoulder replacement less than two years old. I have continued to lead an active life until the last 9 months. I am unable to manage my ADL (activities of daily living). TLIF was very successful and I would do it again.

Comment from: Grumpy Old Man, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I have spinal stenosis for 10 years and yes it is awful. My pain started locally then spread to my (bi-lateral) legs over the years, including pain and numbness. I lack the ability to walk more than 5 minutes. In the recent past I have soiled myself as I could not hold my bowel, it just let loose without warning. Although when I do get steroid Injections they work great for me for about 6 months each time.

Comment from: geogio, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I wonder if lumbar spinal stenosis can affect one leg only; I have no numbness, just pain in buttock and tingling that shoots down below knee and to the large toe in the right leg only. My physiotherapist says I have stenosis and my chiropractor says I have piriformis. This pain started in my lower back one night after butterfly swimming.

Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for lumbar spinal stenosis?