Patient Comments: Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your lumbar spinal stenosis?

Comment from: Merry widow, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I had severe back pain that came and went. Sitting was the only relief of pain from my lumbar spinal stenosis. Finally I had epidural several days ago (4). Pain eased but there is some return of bearable pain in certain spots, hope relief lasts for quite a while. Have to give it more time, I guess. I am still afraid to risk doing too much, still taking it easy. I had epidural 10 years ago for sciatica. I see the doctor two weeks after my shot.

Comment from: Pepper, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

Symptoms of my lumbar spinal stenosis are pain, especially while sleeping, inability to stand more than a few minutes and therefore losing ability to walk, chronic sciatica, usually on the left side but sometimes on the right, inability to lie in one position for more than a few minutes when trying to sleep, and increased pain with major weather changes.

Comment from: long island phil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I was in a motorcycle accident in 05 and broke my neck and back. Due to the impact I got arthritis in pelvis and lower back. Two months ago I got a pinched nerve in my spine where there is no cushion left. I had pain like I never felt before; like being electrocuted! After MRI I was set to get a laminectomy {open up the spine to let the nerves breathe} for my lumbar spinal stenosis. I have diabetes. Before I was supposed to go under they found my levels were too high and sent me home. I am bed ridden and not set to go under till July 7th. I can't bear the pain! I am on oxycodone, hydrocodone and all the rest and can't find a day {no, a minute} without pain. I am ready to drive my car into a brick wall!

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I am 57 and I had a fall from a horse last June 2014 which resulted in a rotator cuff injury. I had surgery on my shoulder last November 2014. Since January this year I have been suffering with leg pain in both legs, which keeps me awake, it always starts around 2.30 am. My physiotherapist who sees me for my shoulder operation is also seeing me about my leg pain. Last week she manipulated my lower spine. For 3 nights and days it was wonderful, no pain. Then Sunday night and every night since the pain has returned with vengeance. The pains I experience in both legs is sometimes throbbing or dull continuous ache, and then a few months ago it moved to around top of both legs in the groin area, very painful. The last 2 night and days I have experienced pain in both shins all night and day, it just won't go away. I have experienced numbness in both legs and unable to move them during the night for 10/15 seconds which seem like ages. I'm seeing my physiotherapist tomorrow and just hope he suggests an MRI. I'm due to return to work next month after having my shoulder surgery. But I feel these leg pains are going to prevent me from doing this as they are at the moment. As yet I haven't had one though I am worried it might be lumbar spinal stenosis. I have on occasions lost control of both lower functions, and have been referred back to surgeons for this.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I've been in pain for a year now. I was just recently diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis. It's hard for me to work. My feet, legs and lumbar region hurt. I've tried physical therapy and it's painful. I'm only 48 years old. This has affected me mentally, physically, and emotionally. I used to be very active. I can't do what I used to do. My neurologist is suggesting a rhizotomy.

Comment from: gacowgirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

After decades of lower back pain, I had a 4 level TLIF (transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion) 10 years ago. The fusion begins at S1. Now, I am having back pain again, along with leg weakness and bowel and bladder incontinence. I have an appointment with my spine doctor in 1 year. I have had spinal stenosis since my 20s and was diagnosed with DDD (degenerative disc disease) with facet involvement in my early 40s. I have had rheumatoid arthritis (RA) since I was 35. I also have double hip (and knee) replacements and one shoulder replacement less than two years old. I have continued to lead an active life until the last 9 months. I am unable to manage my ADL (activities of daily living). TLIF was very successful and I would do it again.

Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for lumbar spinal stenosis?